PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Dell supporting Ubuntu?

schmidtbag
June 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Being into computer tech stuff, I noticed that about 8 out of 10 computers I fix or receive from people are Dells. I am particularly annoyed how over the years, Dell earned this false reputation of quality, and lately I've been questioning their prices on everything, which I'm assuming is partially the reason I find their computers broken down so often.

When I heard about how Dell was going to use Ubuntu, I kind of got afraid. Linux does NOT need a large company screwing it up. Linux has enough haters as it is. Fortunately, more people trust Dell than they dislike Linux. But as I see this, using Linux is just 1 more way for Dell to eliminate 1 more cost, so I'm very suspicious and concerned, mainly about the Ubuntu community.

I highly doubt I can make a difference, but the reason I'm posting this is because I want to hear your opinion, and if there are enough people who agree with me, then maybe something could be done about it. All I really want out of this is people to realize whats going on and to protect Ubuntu's reputation. Think about it, Dell is beginning to sell computers for cheaper than building them yourself.

Please give feedback on your decision.

Nessa
June 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I don't use or own a dell. You can look at that differently though. Are you getting a lot of broken dell pc's because of bad quality or is it just the sheer number of people using dell and maybe breaking it?

Redrazor39
June 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I don't like this idea because I never liked Dell. They always made cheap crap at a massive scale so it would be perfect for business. Now that they're putting ubuntu's name all over theirs it only messes up ubuntu's name... at least to people with some knowledge of computers.

The way I see it, most people just know Dell is some big computer company, and their successful, so they're probably good. By associating it this way, ubuntu looks good to them.

This is a good thing for ubuntu marketing but done far too early. I am not saying ubuntu is ready for the desktop; it's a helluva lot better than Windows, but it doesn't have that "cross your t's and dot your i's" kind of feel. One needs an intermediate knowledge of computers to get around ubuntu successfully and appreciate it while not worrying about the ugliness and clutter.

danbuter
June 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
In general, I say it's a good thing. Now at least some people will have actually heard about linux.

kool_kat_os
June 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM
i really dont care if they do or not...i have a dell(gettin rid of it) and its on windows and it overheats...and shuts down.

but if a person likes ubuntu their still gonna use it whether dell uses it or not....i dont know if that made sense.

cardinals_fan
June 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I would much rather buy a Thinkpad with SUSE.

wannadumpwindows
June 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I didn't like the fact that, even though there's no windows license fee, the lowest model of laptop they had is still really expensive. I got more laptop then that even with the vista fee. I don't really see how they justify them costing so much. I thought Ubuntu would be cheaper. But I think they're praying on people like us that would rather buy open source. Make us pay a little extra to support the cause, I think it's a little dirty.

Sealbhach
June 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Linux needs the support of hardware manufacturers, otherwise Linux is useless. I can't use my webcam in Linux because there is no driver for it.

What's the point in having an OS if it won't work with the hardware because it's not supported?

aysiu
June 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Maybe I'm a freak, but I've had only positive experiences with Dell. I haven't seen their hardware to be any worse in quality than Apple's or any other company's.

I would love for them to support Ubuntu instead of hiding Ubuntu away and then recommending Vista instead to people who accidentally stumble upon it.

liquidfunk
June 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have a Dell. It rocks!

I've had one before this machine (Optiplex GX270) and also have a small Dell running Debian for my mum.

No problems whatsoever. I even recommend Dellbuntu's to my friends.

jrusso2
June 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I have only bought one Dell and that was in 1998 when they were pretty good quality. But at work we use them and as a result I have a lot of experience with them.

While I would no longer call it a quality computer I would say its a least average for the money maybe a bit above.

While I will not say Dell has handled Ubuntu and Linux properly over the years at least it is a start for them.

Don't forget Michael Dell and Bill Gates are partners.

theparticle010
June 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Alright... I love Ubuntu... I have a Dell 1501... and it overheats... yes... but It's 'cause of a crappy motherboard... and it's not dell's fault AMD didn't get them the right motherboard. So yes I've had good experience with dell... some people are increadibly stupid when it comes to computers... but I think that Dell + ubuntu is going to get more and more people to try and use linux... and see how great it is... in fact I've been devolping my own programming projects on my dell. And ubuntu, I've had no problems... now some people hate linux... but I don't really care, let them be idiots. My brother bought a tosh*ta and he has had nothing but touble... and I've fixed his hardware countless times... dell Is great. So is ubuntu. So there. Thats that. I know I am sounding blut, but do remember... have an open mind, I do.

schmidtbag
June 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM
thanks for the input everyone.

@nessa:
Its a little bit of everything. Typically when its a hardware problem (which is tha majority of the time), only the motherboard fails. I test the hw in other computers and it always works fine and guess what - the motherboard (and power supplies, which usually work fine) are the only products made by Dell. Sometimes Asus or Creative or Samsung might have some sort of deal with Dell when it comes to other parts but I've never seen anything but Intel chipsets on Dell motherboards, and I'm positive Intel wouldn't make something of such low efficiency.

@danbuster:
You make a valid point. Like I mentioned earlier, many people either don't know what Linux is or they don't trust it. Since Dell seems to be trusted by most people, them using Linux is a great way to promote the OS. My only problem with it is if people begin to realize the inefficiency of Dell products, they might question the same about Linux itself. I will definitely accept being wrong about this.

@wannadumpwindows
Interesting point, I never thought about that.

theparticle010
June 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Do you know why they are charging a lot for the ubuntu computer? Well it's simple really, there is no useless software that will clog up yer system and get you to buy stuff... bla bla bla... they don't have bloatware for linux... and they wont make money off of the bloatware... so they directley charge you.

zmjjmz
June 16th, 2008, 01:03 AM
There is bloatware for Linux, except that the bloat doesn't really slow down a Linux box.
EDIT: As for me, I think it's great, but like aysiu, would love to see them promote it.

Le-Froid
June 16th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I haven't ever had bad experiences with my Dell computer :)
It has like 2gb ram, 500gb hd + 150gb hd, intel duo-core processor (or something like it), 23 inch moniter, and everything else on an E520 :p

My old Dell computers used to SUCK, but over the recent years they are getting better ;)

Redrazor39
June 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Watch when ppl buy these dells with ubuntu and wonder wth happened to Windows lol.

They'd probably return it saying it's a faulty computer because their setup.exe files won't work.

madjr
June 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Watch when ppl buy these dells with ubuntu and wonder wth happened to Windows lol.

They'd probably return it saying it's a faulty computer because their setup.exe files won't work.

you can say the same for Macs

but sadly it won't happen, ubuntu is buried deeply within the Dell website ... :(

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM
i ranked it a 2, it would get a one from me if they fricken advertised it more. right now they might as well not, its so far hidden on their site

Rainstride
June 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
the way i see it a big name like dell (whether or not they completely suck, witch they do) is a very big step in the right direction. if people begin to notice linux more and tell more and more friends about it, more and more people will switch to linux. the more that switch the larger our market share will grow. the more it grows the more game makers and other companies will start to pay attention and start creating games and other software we don't currently have, and get more hands on with linux. companies like ati will make BETTER EFFORT when making drivers. also more people with programing skills will join our ranks and with there help improve ubuntu. at the same time we have to worry about the corporate vampires trying to leach off that success. and people trying to pull the same scams that they try on windows. and idiots making garbage software. but i think we'll be fine:).

madjr
June 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
i ranked it a 2, it would get a one from me if they fricken advertised it more. right now they might as well not, its so far hidden on their site

exactly