PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have these XP leaving problems?

jbaerbock
June 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Ok so we know that no OS is perfect contrary to what any fanboy would say. Well I find myself switching between Ubuntu (and other Linux) and WinXP a lot. As we move into the future I would stick to Linux over XP but for now it seems I flipflop a lot. My dilema is thus, I switch to Linux because I love it, the community, and freedom. But I then after a month or so go back to XP because of seemingly random problems which should be fixable (logically) with minimum effort but seem to elude being fixed. I also tend to go back to XP because of gaming being so much easier and richer of an experience (WoW for example being smooth with graphics 100% vs in Linux with graphics as low as they go and still being choppy).

Then a month or more passes and I go back to Linux because WinXP is just annoying with all its popup messages that harass me and all of the blocks on customization etc... (plus some software I love that is Linux only). And thus the cycle goes on. And yes I have tried dualbooting but it just seems like too much work and I am then wasting lots of HDD space on an OS I rarely boot (XP and only for gaming or when Linux crashes).

So does anyone else have this problem or a solution to this problem for me? I'm starting college again and this time going for a Computer Science degree but because of my flipflops I'm having problems deciding on which OS to go with for the duration of my CS schooling. Any advice or recommendations would be wonderful.

Comp Specs:
-HP zv6000
-2ghz AMD64 Processor (I run 32-bit OS's)
-1,256 RAM (Reason I only do 32-bit OS's)
-128 MB ATI Radeon 200M (Video Ram is separate from above RAM)(Fglx Driver installed via Restricted Drivers Module)
-120gb Scorpio HDD (Forget the brand but the model is called Scorpio, this is a 7200rpm HDD....I think).
-DVD/CD-RW Drive.
-Widescreen Brightview LCD screen.
-Broadcom Wireless (Runs fine via restricted hardware module).

rudihawk
June 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
How about a dual boot configuration?

forestpixie
June 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
And yes I have tried dualbooting but it just seems like too much work and I am then wasting lots of HDD space on an OS I rarely boot

I would do it again - why does it have to have to have lots of space? Just install on it the few things you want there, have a shared ntfs drive for both os to use.

miggols99
June 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
If you're not going to boot XP much I think you should have 20GB for Windows and the rest for Ubuntu.

Also why not have 64bit Ubuntu? It's a lot better, and you can have 32bit Windows and 64bit Ubuntu sitting together fine. Don't believe any myths that 64bit has no Java and Flash, or that there isn't as much software in the repos..even Opera is now natively 64bit :)

K.Mandla
June 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Comp Specs:
-HP zv6000
I had an identical zv6000 and only ran Ubuntu or Arch64 on it; I sold it with a split-Hardy-XP-plus-GAG installation on it, and the owner is quite happy.

If it were me, I'd keep Ubuntu as the primary OS and save XP for your games. No shame in that.

thrasher6900
June 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I've noticed that on every computer that has XP runs really well then it turns into a lagging sack of bullocks.

It's too vulnerable to all the various attacks. Even with SP3.

I prefer XP over vista any day, but I always end up reinstalling it on someone's computer every month or so due to undetectable mal ware.

I swear virus scans and firewalls are useless.

We wouldn't have such problems if Microsoft didn't make an open port to your hd. It's part of a sham to force people to ' need ' firewalls in my opinion.

thrasher6900
June 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Ok so we know that no OS is perfect contrary to what any fanboy would say. Well I find myself switching between Ubuntu (and other Linux) and WinXP a lot. As we move into the future I would stick to Linux over XP but for now it seems I flipflop a lot. My dilema is thus, I switch to Linux because I love it, the community, and freedom. But I then after a month or so go back to XP because of seemingly random problems which should be fixable (logically) with minimum effort but seem to elude being fixed. I also tend to go back to XP because of gaming being so much easier and richer of an experience (WoW for example being smooth with graphics 100% vs in Linux with graphics as low as they go and still being choppy).

Then a month or more passes and I go back to Linux because WinXP is just annoying with all its popup messages that harass me and all of the blocks on customization etc... (plus some software I love that is Linux only). And thus the cycle goes on. And yes I have tried dualbooting but it just seems like too much work and I am then wasting lots of HDD space on an OS I rarely boot (XP and only for gaming or when Linux crashes).

So does anyone else have this problem or a solution to this problem for me? I'm starting college again and this time going for a Computer Science degree but because of my flipflops I'm having problems deciding on which OS to go with for the duration of my CS schooling. Any advice or recommendations would be wonderful.

Comp Specs:
-HP zv6000
-2ghz AMD64 Processor (I run 32-bit OS's)
-1,256 RAM (Reason I only do 32-bit OS's)
-128 MB ATI Radeon 200M (Video Ram is separate from above RAM)(Fglx Driver installed via Restricted Drivers Module)
-120gb Scorpio HDD (Forget the brand but the model is called Scorpio, this is a 7200rpm HDD....I think).
-DVD/CD-RW Drive.
-Widescreen Brightview LCD screen.
-Broadcom Wireless (Runs fine via restricted hardware module).I still cannot do things because I'm not the ' administrator ' even though I own the friggen thing:-x. I just don't get it.

One thing I love about Linux is the fact that there isn't any restrictions on what you can do unlike the ridiculously high priced OS's.

Pretty ironic that open source software is more powerful than the stuff you have to pay for. Eh?

jbaerbock
June 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers thus far. I guess my main thing against a dual-boot is that I then have to manage two OS's and I'd like to have my comp 100% one or the other not a mutt of sorts.
And I haven't used Ubuntu 64-bit because I have been told there isn't much point unless you have an ungodly amount of ram. I have been told 64-bit doesn't do jack for the system speed unless you have that previously mentioned 3gb or more of RAM.

Another big issue for me is managing my IPod (not as painful as before but not without its faults). I have yet to find programs with Ubuntu that can manage it 100% including podcasts and syncing. I have seen lots of programs manage podcasts and not sync or they do sync but mislabel everything as new (gPodder). Or in the case of GTKPod it worked wonderful with many things but did not update podcasts and seemed to have no button to do so.

Also two major problem Ubuntu gave me with this latest release that I find rather big. Sound only works on one program at a time even with Pulse (Flash gives me hell with FF in this case and just randomly kills programs as well). Assuming I could get along with WoW in Wine said games tend to have the sound randomly cut out in the middle of playtime. Other problems are such things as a program freezing in fullscreen then myself not having any way to kill that program and return to the fully functional OS without restarting the X server.

I have my issues with XP as well such as at the moment my latest updated keep annoying me to install them and when I click ok install it fails to install them everytime. So we see neither is perfect but I prefer overall Ubuntu, and yet because of the above problems and some random stability issues I can't seem to bring myself to stay with it. It seems like a waste not to use all my hardware I'm still paying for to its full potential because of driver issues.

Comment on the above mentioned Flash. Flash is big now and we can agree on that, so I'd like to be able to see it. Gnash doesnt work with a majority of it so we are left trying to get Flash plugins working. When using FF,Thunderbird,Evolution, Epiphany the programs would shut down seemingly randomly when I tried doing something. It was never during the same operation. I was told Flash caused this, sadness.

See told ya I needed help :D. Again comments or/and advice is welcome.

thrasher6900
June 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
This should let you put Itunes on linux. It's a 30 trial but I'm sure you can make the most out of it with the programs that you would like to run on ubuntu.CrossOver (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/)

jbaerbock
June 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I actually own a version of xover and cedega, sadly they do a poorer job than Wine at most Win programs.

Has anyone noticed XP seems more snappy in opening and just responding to things compared to Ubuntu? Maybe tis just me I dunno.

AndyCooll
June 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well, for many, using both operating systems is the way to go since gaming is an important aspect.

However if you want to go for one OS only, then yours sounds like a common illness (XP-crutch'itis) and it's not an easy one to cure. There really isn't any easy answer other than to take the plunge of a single operating system (since you've said a dual-boot scenario isn't for you).
It's a bit like those who want to give up smoking, cutting down is rarely the answer. It usually requires two things - will-power and a complete cut.

It then means that you have to accept the "problems" as well as the benefits. What you'll find is that surprisingly you'll learn quicker and overcome most of the "problems" far quicker if you do, because there's no backing out. And that software apps that you saw as vital become less so as you find suitable (but different) alternatives.

:cool:

Fedz
June 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
AndyCooll is correct.

I had dual boot (XP Pro/Ubuntu) and found myself wanting Ubuntu but, couldn't pick it up easy ... reason being is I kept picking XP as I knew it and Ubuntu got little look-in.

When my XP partition failed to boot, I decided to reformat with sole Ubuntu.

I honestly hated the idea of sole Ubuntu, it scared me but, loved Ubuntu so plunged for Ubuntu.

Honestly never looked back ... you find Linux/Ubuntu alternatives quite easily and get used too it :-D

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I think for the time being I'm going to go with a 20gb partition of XP as someone previously mentioned and the rest Kubuntu will occupy. Thanks again all and I hope I'll fully make the plunge someday.

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Oh and I'm going the 64-bit version ;-)

madjr
June 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I actually own a version of xover and cedega, sadly they do a poorer job than Wine at most Win programs.

Has anyone noticed XP seems more snappy in opening and just responding to things compared to Ubuntu? Maybe tis just me I dunno.

nope

my win XP install is so sluggish just after 2 months and antivirus + antispyware.

i will need to re-format it soon.

But i use ubuntu a lot so i barely "want" to boot to XP any more.

oh and my laptop is a bit more modern than yours + has an nvidia 8400GS

I think the problem you have with WoW on linux is your ATI card.

for me it goes very smooth with all graphics.

nick09
June 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Yeah for a Gamer dual boot, as for many that is a great solution.

And disconnect windows off the internet too, that will get rid of all your virus problems. Also if you have not done so get firestarter from the repos so you can enable a good firewall.

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I'm typing this message using Kubuntu 64-bit and thus far no real major problems. I did notice when I click a url in thunderbird it does not open Konqueror (though just set it as default browser so maybe it takes a thunderbird restart). Otherwise am peachy.

And yeah ATI sucks bullocks when it comes to performance in Linux. Next laptop will be purchased with Linux in mind.

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Just required a restart and now all seems to work including flash. So why is it in Kubuntu 8.04 sound works awesome in multiple aplications at once while in Ubuntu sound was messed up...?

boppp
June 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Well, i have kind off the same problem. I also switch between OS'es but that is on daily basis (i do have dualboot ;)). I really just love Ubuntu, and when i am just surfing/chatting/etc I am in ubuntu.

But when i have to work or do some serious stuff i sometimes boot in XP (not always) because somehow it gives me more control over what i am doing. Mayb it is because i found the perfect program for everything in XP (gFTP just cant beat flashfxp and MySQL administrator can't beat SQLfront, etc). Furthermore the connection with my data server (which has al my music) is much better (and always works) in XP then ubuntu.

But oke, i would have left Ubuntu a long time ago if i didn't just love the communty, opensource and the tweaking sometimes. Ubuntu will be my primary OS, but sometimes XP is just the best to do something :)

ps. i run 32bit on dualcore2duo (2gb ram), is it way better to run 64bit or doesnt that really matter? (never really thought of it until i read it here)

ps2. i got the same problems with my sound (cant listen to music with amarok and have sound in FF at the same time. shut down amarok and reboot FF, then it works :P)

bufsabre666
June 16th, 2008, 08:21 AM
ps2. i got the same problems with my sound (cant listen to music with amarok and have sound in FF at the same time. shut down amarok and reboot FF, then it works :P)

system->preferences->sound
movies and music should be on auto detect, that way if one is in use on alsa or oss ((which ever is your default)) it will turn the second one so you can have two sound sources at once

jbaerbock
June 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
For me using Konq/flash while doing Amarok works ok in Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit where as on the Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit it never worked right. Who knows why but meh im happy it works now.