PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu #1 OS after 3-5 years, [guide]!

artrbinfo
June 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone!

Firstly I'd like to say biggest thank you for all ubuntu developers, artists, community members and many others who are involved in this great project.

I think that you are on right way. I'd like to review my first experience with ubuntu, and things what other see first in it!

I have used Ubuntu 5.10, 7.10, 8.04, but from v 8.04 I'm really in using it and showing in to others, so here is my short resume:

1.Great idea and moto, and it attracts people.

2.User friendly installation + LiveCD.

3.Easy dual boot install.

4.Good user interface and customization options.

5.Best support out there.

Some thing what I would change:

6.First thing what everyone noticed is compiz - they loved it, but shame that compiz control panel is not installed in default.

7.Human theme is good and it surely works for live CD purposes ( faster loads up ), but there should be unique Ubuntu theme( what is not similar to other distributive like, opensuse etc., but with other colors), like os x - something what works like brand mark of Ubuntu, it should be very ascetic, but still with some style and "bling" :)

8.There is missing in some situations drag'n'drop file function, but it's not big problem.

9.When file is cuted, the icon should become transparent to notice user, what file is cuted.

Those are just practical, little things what isn't so important, compared to your big work.

I'd like to talk little bit about "way" where Ubuntu is going. Now when Windows Vista makes empty space with users who are disappointed with it, it's right time to fill this space with Ubuntu, and here is some things what I'd do in Ubuntu marketing:

1.Create Ubuntu own install file, and installer ( like exe,msi,dmg,deb,run etc. ), but not remove support to currently working standards, in this way Ubuntu could separate and create new devision of linux, after some years.

2.Create more modern look - it's not offense, but currently theme, icons and styler looks too regular...

3.Create powerful pack of softwares: Idea is that all ubuntu developers could come together and make top class software for image, audio, video editing.
Yes Gimp 4 is good, but still there is missing that professional look'n'touch, and some options are so so... I understand that that not all OS or software should be glossy and modern styled, but expecialy for designers, audio & video studio professionals, they like professional look of software part of PC. I mean that only think what is missing is some professional touch in look and some options..
Ardour 2 is pretty close as well, just again some theme fix and some option add. But there is bigger problem with ardour - audio interface drivers. Non of big audio interface brands will help ubunut/linux with their made drivers, so there is only one option - make audio interface drivers for biggest brands: Digidesign, Motu, Apoggee, Erdor, Phonic etc. Some of them is working natevly in OS X so there shouldn't be big problem with driver writing for ubuntu. If there would be more audio drivers, I know plenty people who would switch to ubuntu immediately.
Video editing software is bigger problem, couse there is no so close to perfect software as Gimp or Ardour.

4.Advertise ubuntu stability, open source and thinks what makes it special.

So here is my resume what I would do to make Ubuntu #1 OS after 3-5 years:

1. Make own package or install file.
2. Upgrade visual look.
3. Create top notch professional softwares.
4. Show advantages over other OS

Let's discuss this... What do you think? :popcorn:

eragon100
June 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Great idea's, whe should be able to stick it trough people's throat somehow :)

Lot of work tough, might not be doable :(

artrbinfo
June 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think what key is professional software, it is what is missing because everyday activities can be done now with ubuntu as well. I'm currently working on some stuff for Ubuntu ( themes, and visual improvements)

twright
June 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
i think what is needed (apart from more software) is some usability testing, just record some windows users attempts to do some tasks and fill a ton of bug reports based on that

artrbinfo
June 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Yes that would be great! Because there is some typical problems when switching to ubuntu...

artrbinfo
June 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Any other ideas?