PDA

View Full Version : Managing your font collection across multiple enviroments (linux,wine and XP VM)

FFighter
June 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hello,

Considering you are running Ubuntu, Wine and also a VM of XP running on VMWare workstation as well as your main Ubuntu GNU/Linux system, how do you manage your fonts collection?

Firstly, is the .fonts hidden directory the only and or the best way to manage fonts under Linux? And why should this directory be hidden?

Anyway, I was thinking about symlinking from this dir to the wine_c/windows/fonts. As for the VM, I would use the sharing functionality of VMWare workstation to map ~/.fonts to C:/windows/fonts in the VM.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

FFighter
June 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
*bump*

So, no one ever had a similar issue?

FFighter
June 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
second *bump*

bumps remaining: 0

st0n3cutt3r
June 19th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I use 3 different computers at home, and have at least 2 OSs on each. Basically by just sharing my fonts and other data folders on the network I can copy over what I need, or re-target folders in the OSs to the shared network folders so that I don't need so many duplicates, but I've never really been too happy with virtual machines (trouble transferring things I've made using them to my desktop OS and vis versa, mainly) so I don't really know anything to suggest... Can you just use separate partitions instead of virtual machines?

*bump*

FFighter
June 20th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I wish there were a way to have one source of fonte data to Ubuntu, Wine and my VM (XP)... I definitely don't like repeating myself, nor having duplicate data, so, copying fonts would not work for me.

Thanks for replying.