PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 release megathread

Pages : [1] 2

selda
March 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Fourth beta of Firefox 3 is out - https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

vishzilla
March 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Awesome, downloading it right away!!!

Polygon
March 11th, 2008, 05:29 AM
*waits for firefox-3.0 package in ubuntu to be updated*

sunexplodes
March 11th, 2008, 05:43 AM
You guys aught to be using the Swiftfox repo. It uses nightlies (so now, the 3.0 Beta 5 pre-releases), and can be configured using apt or by downloading deb files.

mrgnash
March 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hopefully Hardy updates soon, because the .tar.gz version appears to have a problem grabbing the Gnome icon theme.

SomeGuyDude
March 11th, 2008, 07:52 AM
You guys aught to be using the Swiftfox repo. It uses nightlies (so now, the 3.0 Beta 5 pre-releases), and can be configured using apt or by downloading deb files.

Problem: plugins don't keep up with nightlies. Thus, my upgrading is dependent upon the speed of plugin updates.

sunexplodes
March 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Which plugins? I have no problem at all with Flash or MPlayer (although I'm using Arch).

And as for extensions, 99% work just fine with "extensions.checkCompatibility" set to "false" in about:config.

SomeGuyDude
March 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Extensions, my bad.

Hm. I'll give that a shot with the compatibility thing, actually. Good tip! I'd imagine the few I use aren't going to break anything.

STATUS REPORT: all is good. Nice!!

mrgnash
March 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Ok I'm seeing the same problem with 3.0.5bpre; is anyone else experiencing the same thing -- i.e. instead of using the icons from the gnome icon theme, it just displays little boxes with red 'x' symbols?

RJ Hythloday
March 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Which plugins? I have no problem at all with Flash or MPlayer (although I'm using Arch).

And as for extensions, 99% work just fine with "extensions.checkCompatibility" set to "false" in about:config.
That's pretty cool, I've been thinking about giving 3 a try.

Erunno
March 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Just tested it on Mac OS X and there's still no keychain integration. Bummer, I was hoping that Firefox 3 would be a better citizen on non-Windows platforms.

How's the situation on Linux respectively GNOME?

23meg
March 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Just tested it on Mac OS X and there's still no keychain integration. Bummer, I was hoping that Firefox 3 would be a better citizen on non-Windows platforms.

How's the situation on Linux respectively GNOME?

http://blog.mozilla.com/dolske/2007/05/28/followup-password-manager-changes-coming-in-ff3-alpha-5/

Erunno
March 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
http://blog.mozilla.com/dolske/2007/05/28/followup-password-manager-changes-coming-in-ff3-alpha-5/

Yes, this blog entry is full of shoulds and coulds but so far nothing usable has materialized on the user-visible side. Does this mean that integration with the base system will be offloaded to 3rd party plug-in developers? Judging by the fact that this is already the fourth beta release I doubt that we'll see anything official from the Mozilla developers for the final release. It would probably slander to assume that this has anything to do with Mozilla's main target platform (i.e. Windows) being the only supported OS which has no such facilities.

mrgnash
March 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2555/screenshotbd4.png

Seriously. Is nobody else experiencing this problem?

EDIT: I discovered that it seems to be a problem with loading svg icon themes:

(firefox-bin:8455): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-undo-ltr' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Hence, the error would appear when I was using either the default Hardy 'Human' icon theme, or 'Ultimate Gnome' -- both of which contain SVG icons. When I switched to a non-svg theme, the problem did not arise.

TheCarNinja
March 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM

This option doesn't exist in my about:config. Am I missing something? :(

23meg
March 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, this blog entry is full of shoulds and coulds but so far nothing usable has materialized on the user-visible side. Does this mean that integration with the base system will be offloaded to 3rd party plug-in developers?

It's "offloaded" to anyone who's ready to put in the (apparently little) work. It may already be done in trunk, actually; it's been a while since the beta deadline.

enaut
March 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
This option doesn't exist in my about:config. Am I missing something? :(

just create it by right clicking...

Kakihara
March 11th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I am getting

Error: in guard: symbol required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error
when running ./firefox

and

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
when running ./firefox-bin

libjemalloc.so is present in the same directory.
Ubuntu 7.10
anybody experienced this? any suggestion?

TheCarNinja
March 11th, 2008, 05:31 PM
just create it by right clicking...

Didn't know you could do that, thank you.

mech7
March 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Umm how can i install it? I allready have b3 from the repository ?

SomeGuyDude
March 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
As a note, the latest Swiftfox is CRAZY good on RAM usage.

kuja
March 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM

(firefox-bin:8455): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-undo-ltr' for stock: Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Hence, the error would appear when I was using either the default Hardy 'Human' icon theme, or 'Ultimate Gnome' -- both of which contain SVG icons. When I switched to a non-svg theme, the problem did not arise.

Looks like the error you get when a 32-bit program tries to load a 64-bit lib ... or maybe the other way around, I forget.

Mazza558
March 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Umm how can i install it? I allready have b3 from the repository ?

I'd like to know too. I downloaded that file and are using beta 4 now, but only in a folder in /home - this means that every time I start it, it comes up with a tab welcoming me to beta 4... :(

sunexplodes
March 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Dudes, listen. Follow the instructions here: http://getswiftfox.com/

Swiftfox is a bleeding-edge build of Firefox3, optimized for Linux systems. They have a repository so you can install it with Apt. There's really no good reason to use vanilla Firefox.

Mazza558
March 11th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Swiftfox is a bleeding-edge build of Firefox3, optimized for Linux systems. They have a repository so you can install it with Apt. There's really no good reason to use vanilla Firefox.

I thought it was discontinued?

sunexplodes
March 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
The discontinued work on the 2.0 branch and moved to 3.0.

Mazza558
March 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
The discontinued work on the 2.0 branch and moved to 3.0.

Ah, I see. I installed my version (deb) and when opening it, it just opens FF beta 4 instead.

Iehova
March 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I get it on beta 4 using the Kamel icon theme with firefox installed to my home directory, but not with the human icons. I don't get the problem with beta 3 which is installed via synaptic (and thus presumably in /usr/bin/ or somewhere).

qazwsx
March 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM

It is proprietary. Very good reason not to use it!!!
Also amd64 build is actually 32 bit. Looks like crab on 64 bit.

Xanatos Craven
March 11th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Also amd64 build is actually 32 bit. Looks like crab on 64 bit.
Are you using a theme engine that didn't come with Ubuntu? 32-bit programs look like crap here too (using murrine engine).

I hope this is backported to Gutsy. I remember for months Gutsy's Firefox 3 was still alpha while Hardy had a beta.

Sunflower1970
March 11th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just installed Firefox 3 beta 4....Is anyone else having trouble with using their mouse button to make the browser go back a screen? It was working perfectly in beta 3 but now it won't work in beta 4...

Mazza558
March 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Just installed Firefox 3 beta 4....Is anyone else having trouble with using their mouse button to make the browser go back a screen? It was working perfectly in beta 3 but now it won't work in beta 4...

You mean mouse gestures? If so, hardly any extensions are officially compatible with b4 yet (as it was only released today).

Sunflower1970
March 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM
You mean mouse gestures? If so, hardly any extensions are officially compatible with b4 yet (as it was only released today).

No, not mouse gestures. It's where I hit the side button on my mouse and the screen goes back one, or I hit my other mouse side button and the screen goes forward one. All the time I've been using Minefield nightly builds I've had no problems whatsoever. Today, though after deciding to just use the beta 4 my two side mouse buttons don't work. This is the guide I used to originally get them to work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=178574&highlight=mouse+buttons+imwheel.

qazwsx
March 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Are you using a theme engine that didn't come with Ubuntu? 32-bit programs look like crap here too (using murrine engine).

I hope this is backported to Gutsy. I remember for months Gutsy's Firefox 3 was still alpha while Hardy had a beta.
Nope qtk-qt-engine. Finally decided to build it for my system to actually see it. Outcome didn't look so good at all with domino as qt theme :(.

Oh well Konqueror will be my #1 browser.

adamup
March 12th, 2008, 12:23 AM
No, not mouse gestures. It's where I hit the side button on my mouse and the screen goes back one, or I hit my other mouse side button and the screen goes forward one. All the time I've been using Minefield nightly builds I've had no problems whatsoever. Today, though after deciding to just use the beta 4 my two side mouse buttons don't work. This is the guide I used to originally get them to work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=178574&highlight=mouse+buttons+imwheel.

Yeah, I had that problem as well. This link helped me solve it:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420294

Firefox 3 apparently maps back/forward to mouse buttons 8 & 9 rather than 6 & 7 as in Firefox 2. You just need to modify your xorg.conf to reflect that change. Here's a snippet of mine to take a look at...

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "9"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8 9"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Hope that helps :)

selda
March 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
What's up with text rendering in Firefox? Text in Epiphany looks much smoother.

Mad_Gouki
March 12th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I found a fix in beta 4 that works for me (synaptics touchpad w/ scroll box between mouse buttons)
go to about:config and set
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action
to 2
2 is the forward backward functionality
1 is horizontal scroll
0 is disabled possibly
you might also need to change
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines
to -1
1 will reverse the normal scrolling, so if you want the forward key to go back and the back key to go forward, change it to that.
-1 is normal forward/back functionality, or it should be

Sunflower1970
March 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I had that problem as well. This link helped me solve it:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420294

Firefox 3 apparently maps back/forward to mouse buttons 8 & 9 rather than 6 & 7 as in Firefox 2. You just need to modify your xorg.conf to reflect that change. Here's a snippet of mine to take a look at...

Hope that helps :)

I'm afraid that's not working :( ...Do you have imwheel installed? Maybe that's my problem...

OrangeCrate
March 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM
What's up with text rendering in Firefox? Text in Epiphany looks much smoother.

It's a beta, give it time...

Sunflower1970
March 12th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I found a fix in beta 4 that works for me (synaptics touchpad w/ scroll box between mouse buttons)
go to about:config and set
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action
to 2
2 is the forward backward functionality
1 is horizontal scroll
0 is disabled possibly
you might also need to change
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines
to -1
1 will reverse the normal scrolling, so if you want the forward key to go back and the back key to go forward, change it to that.
-1 is normal forward/back functionality, or it should be

That sort of works..but it's not working quite right. I can use one of my side buttons to go back and forth, but not one for forward or one for backwards.

Mad_Gouki
March 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
make sure the sysnumlines 1 is set to false
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action = 2
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines = -1
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines = false
see if those 3 settings work. this is on a synaptics touchpad tho, so your mileage may vary, but those are the only changes i made and now the forward/back buttons work.
you may still need to configure your buttons in xorg.conf.
also, the settings might be different for a mouse than they are for a touchpad, so mess around with it till you get something that works and let us know ;)

selda
March 12th, 2008, 01:42 AM
It's a beta, give it time...
I don't think is beta issue. because text in Firefox 2 looks the same as in 3

Sunflower1970
March 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I think that works as long as I use no other version of FF. The moment I switch over to FF 2 the settings will work in it, but when I switch back to FF 3 Beta those settings go away...

Ah, well. I can live with it for the moment. :)

Sunflower1970
March 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I figured it out. (yay!) I'm using xbindkeys & xvkbd to be able to map the side buttons. Now I have back & forth not only in Firefox 3 & 2, I also have it in Nautilus. Which I didn't have before.

ZaphodNE
March 12th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Please, someone, tell me how to get rid of FF 3.....what junk!! Please, how do I get back to FF 2....PLEASE!!!

FrozenFox
March 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Please, someone, tell me how to get rid of FF 3.....what junk!! Please, how do I get back to FF 2....PLEASE!!!

I'm on Hardy, so forgive me if my instructions are not as simple as they could be in Gutsy, which your info suggests you are using..

Just open synaptic and uninstall firefox (firefox-3.0 on gutsy), find a gutsy .deb for firefox 2.0.0.12 (i found it on the gutsy repo page a ways back, its not hard to find), and install that.

In most peoples' case, I think the desired file would be http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/firefox_2.0.0.12+2nobinonly+2-0ubuntu0.7.10_i386.deb
If not (ie you're not something OTHER THAN i386 32 bit) you can look here
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/firefox/ and make sure you're getting the right one.

That said, calm down. Why is it 'junk'? FF2 won't be updated forever (at that, much longer at all) so you might as well just update and fix your problems when you are back in a more level-headed state (if they are fixable. else, perhaps wait for the post-beta versions) or use a different browser (for security's sake). You also need to understand that it's still in beta.

Xbehave
March 12th, 2008, 03:09 AM
swiftfox, is just Firefox compiled with -O3, i dont know much about compiler flags but from whats put on the gentoo wiki, compiling with -O3 is a bad idea as it is much more likely to introduce instability! thats why i just unpack the nightly FF build (means i can beta test, as any other build process may fix/make bugs).

FF3 rocks, the mouse changes suck, but then again i suppose they have a point, as they did with scrolling over icons to switch them.

FF3 is a good branch, i think that with mozilla the time is taken to make great .0s but competition forces .5s which are unstable and couse trouble (2.0 is a '.5')

kindofabuzz
March 12th, 2008, 04:04 AM
mine work. here's the mouse section of my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

mister_k81
March 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Ah, I see. I installed my version (deb) and when opening it, it just opens FF beta 4 instead.

I have the same problem. But instead of beta 4, it opens up FF 2.0.0.12 when I try to start up the latest beta build of swiftfox.

FrozenFox
March 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
You can't have swiftfox and firefox or whatnot -open- at the same time. Close one, wait a second, then open the other and it will open the right one. At least, that's how it worked for me. This way I can have both ff 2.0.0.12 and the latest firefox at the same time.

However, this new beta solved all of my previous ff3 problems, so I don't see a need to go back to ff2 anytime soon. The only issues I had are now solved: extention compatibility (worked around by about:config in the location bar, adding extensions.checkCompatibility as binary to false), hating the location bar (solved by https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227 installing this addon which restores similar to ff2 location bar functionality), and adding a close button to all tabs (solved http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons changing the browser.tabs.closeButtons entry in about:config again to 1 fixed this).

I did not have to reconfigure my mouse between firefox 2 and 3. I use imwheel and the right xorg.conf settings to translate the side buttons into key combinations that are fwd/back in all standard browsers. Both of my mice (microsoft intellimouse explorer 3.0a and logitech mx400) work fine with no changes.

mister_k81
March 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
You can't have swiftfox and firefox or whatnot -open- at the same time. Close one, wait a second, then open the other and it will open the right one. At least, that's how it worked for me. This way I can have both ff 2.0.0.12 and the latest firefox at the same time.

Thanks! I got it working now.

mgkimsal
March 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I am getting

Error: in guard: symbol required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error
when running ./firefox

and

./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
when running ./firefox-bin

libjemalloc.so is present in the same directory.
Ubuntu 7.10
anybody experienced this? any suggestion?

I've got the same problem on Mandriva 2008 - it's nothing specific to Ubuntu. Also using 2.6.22.18 kernel.

Really annoying, because all the other betas have worked just fine.

Michael Kimsal
http://michaelkimsal.com/blog

mrpeenut24
March 13th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I've got the same problem on Mandriva 2008 - it's nothing specific to Ubuntu. Also using 2.6.22.18 kernel.

Really annoying, because all the other betas have worked just fine.

Michael Kimsal
http://michaelkimsal.com/blog

I've got the same problem on Ubuntu... And google is turning nothing up. When I try to run it in the local desktop directory, it says it, as well as if I put it in /usr/lib/firefox... Have you found anything about it yet?

EDIT:
Actually, mine's not exactly the same. Mine says:
Error: in (function call): procedure or syntax required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error.
Yet I do get the same error in firefox-bin.

ChrisNiemy
March 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hi,

those who got used to swiftfox you can switch to Swiftweasel. (not joking ;-)) It's not closed source and about performance even better than swiftfox. Downloads here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=195473
Also includes .tar.gz for 64bit. :-) beta4 already there. .deb will come soon, I guess.

http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org[/urll]

There's also a repository for different ubuntu versions:
[url]http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php5?title=Apt
For gutsy it's
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel gutsy multiverse
There seems to be no APT-Key (so far), so you will get an unauthenticated warning in synaptic. Please note, the repository does not include firefox3 builds you have to download them manually.

Kakihara
March 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I've got the same problem on Ubuntu... And google is turning nothing up. When I try to run it in the local desktop directory, it says it, as well as if I put it in /usr/lib/firefox... Have you found anything about it yet?

EDIT:
Actually, mine's not exactly the same. Mine says:
Error: in (function call): procedure or syntax required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error.
Yet I do get the same error in firefox-bin.

Removing uim (japanese/chinese/... input) made the firefox 3b4 run. Upgrade to newer version of uim should also help, but it's not yet in gutsy repos...

mrpeenut24
March 19th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I had scim installed, but I believe I had removed it at that point. It doesn't matter much (for me) now, as I've recently upgraded to Hardy, which has FF 3.0b4 in the repositories.

*For those wondering, Hardy works pretty well for me. No problems as of yet. I've also got Envy's nVidia driver enabled.

golem3
March 19th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Swiftweasel was a great tip. Thanks a bunch.application. According to Wikipedia, it's completely compatible with all FF extensions and themes, and it has AdBlock built in already.

Nycthbris
March 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Has anybody else had problems with Swiftfox incorrectly rendering Gmail? After a Swiftfox update a few weeks ago the drop down menus on the left pane (Chat, Labels, etc.) do not show their content. For example the Chat menu will indicate it is expanded but there will be no names or anything listed under it. In FF2 or any other browser this never happens. I suspect it may have something to do with the scripting Gmail uses? I have the NoScript extension but google.com is allowed so this shouldn't be a factor.

Anybody else have this problem?

IHATEDLINK
May 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM
The Mozilla folks are trying to make Firefox 3 the most downloaded software on a day, and YOU can help them! :D
Just go to the Download Day 2008 (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord)(which is the project's home page) and click the PLEDGE button. Total Pledges: 368,409 and counting... ( Friday the 30th May at 6:50 pm)

This was taking from the site:

Set a Guinness World Record
Enjoy a Better Web

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

By the way, the official date for the launch of Firefox 3 will be posted here soon - so check back! Join our community and this effort by pledging today.

Got questions? Check out the FAQ (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/faq) or reply to this thread.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/files/images/affiliates_banners/dday_badge_fox.png

cookieofdoom
May 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM
381,209 people already. I wonder if servers will be able to keep up, lol.

nick09
May 31st, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm gonna do that!:lolflag:

Sam Lars
May 31st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Nice FAQ they have... is it a joke/they're working on it?
I still haven't found yet what the record is they have to break... or is it a new one?

Edit: I guess they're establishing a new record.
http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/browsers/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208401028

DrSRQ
May 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
381,209 people already. I wonder if servers will be able to keep up, lol.

There will be multiple region specific servers for download...It's gonna be big.

Support from India.

visionaire
May 31st, 2008, 06:10 PM
sorry, i use opera :)

joshdudeha
May 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Does it count if you download it via synaptic?

andrek
May 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Poland's on second place, yay!

spidernik84
June 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM
As for the missing libraries errors, like:

error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I solved copying all lib* files from the zip into usr/lib, issuing this command via terminal:

sudo cp firefox/lib*.so /usr/lib/

This has been tested on Firefox 3.0 rc1 on Ubuntu 7.10.

Hope this helps.

Joeb454
June 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I'd imagine this has been fixed now - Firefox RC1 is out, and beta 5 was included in Hardy by default

spidernik84
June 1st, 2008, 05:19 PM
I'd imagine this has been fixed now - Firefox RC1 is out, and beta 5 was included in Hardy by default

Yeah, i just omitted some details: i had these errors testing FF 3.0rc1 on Ubuntu 7.10 aswell.
Gotta update the prev message :)

IHATEDLINK
June 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM
Does it count if you download it via synaptic?

NO, it has to be a FULL DOWNLOAD (NOT AN UPDATE!) and it has to be downloaded over Firefox's home page

Sam Lars
June 2nd, 2008, 04:47 AM
Technically if you download it from the repos (synaptic, apt-get, however), it's a full package (that's capable of updating an older installed package).
But, yes, it has to be from the Firefox site. I'm sure they'll specify when we find out when it is.

Sam Lars
June 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
sorry, i use opera :)

Download it anyway just to help? You can just delete it... :)

BradwJensen
June 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I wish they would make/host tested deb files for us to download.. And make their update service work on Linux machines. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they just tested the code before letting it out for download / updates.

Downloading one of the packages they have now on Firefox's website; which won't install like doing it from synaptic is plain weird, even if it is just for a world record..

Am I the only one who feels this way?
I will download one of those files anyways, but still..

Sam Lars
June 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Last time I checked I think the update worked on Linux, it's just that Ubuntu has disabled it in their version. You have to update it via the repositories like any other program.
I agree that they should really host a deb, though. A lot of other projects do that, and a project of their scale definitely should. I guess they figure that most major OS's will provide it somehow.

ahawesome
June 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Update on the number of pledges:

As of June 9, 2008 at about 4:30 PM EDT

people have pledged to download Firefox 3 on Download Day. The current total is at the Download Day website.

id1337x
June 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Ya I already pledged to do this! I just worry about the date...

ahawesome
June 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It looks like they could hit one million pledges today! Actually, it's gone from 970,000 to almost 1,000,000 in about 19 hours. That's about 30,000 people who are going to get Firefox.

bvanaerde
June 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Is it normal that I just downloaded Firefox 3.0 through the repositories?
edit: oh nevermind, it's RC1 :)

irate vermin
June 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I just upgraded firefox via the repos and it says its the final V3. today isnt the dl day right?

ahawesome
June 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
YES!!!!!!!! One million pledges (and a screenshot to prove it)! This happened at about 12:32 PM EDT on June 10. Download day is going to be huge.

ahawesome
June 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just upgraded firefox via the repos and it says its the final V3. today isnt the dl day right?

By the way, the same thing is going on here. It isn't download day yet. It still says Firefox 2 on the website. Can anyone explain this?

bvanaerde
June 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM
In Synaptic it's saying RC1. So I suppose we've got Release Candidate 1 instead of the final version...

magnus0
June 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I don't like Firefox. I've hot 512M memory and it's such a memory hog. I use Epiphany instead, it's smaller and faster.

Nano Geek
June 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I don't like Firefox. I've hot 512M memory and it's such a memory hog. I use Epiphany instead, it's smaller and faster.They've cleaned up a lot of the memory leeks and it runs much faster now.

You might want to download it and give it a try. :)

Oh, and I've already pledged and I'm planning on downloading. (USA! USA! USA! :) )

andrewabc
June 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Firefox 3 final has not been released. What you have is RC1.

RC3 will be released today on mozilla website.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.0rc3

elmer_42
June 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I just want to say that the United States of America is the only country in red. USA FTW!

ahawesome
June 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
RC3 will be released today on mozilla website

It still says RC2 here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html). Where did you hear this?

andrewabc
June 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM
It still says RC2 here (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html). Where did you hear this?

Did you go to my link?

Anyways, the link you provided now shows RC3.

bufsabre666
June 12th, 2008, 04:13 PM
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/06/11/coming-tuesday-june-17th-firefox-3/

we officially have a release date =)

ahawesome
June 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Okay, I found the link to the download site. Also, I just got an e-mail. Mozilla is planning to release Firefox 3 on June 17 (this coming Tuesday). I guess this is when download day will be if everything goes well.

Wobedraggled
June 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Wooohooo

reyfer
June 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Oh man, they launch on my birthday!!!!

rudihawk
June 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Yay! Now when is FF4 coming out?

*duck*

Swarms
June 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Please all the upgrades that will be run, direct them throught their servers so it get added the record attempt. :)

Quillz
June 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think there was an RC3 release today, but it might have only been for Mac OS X users. Anyway, looking forward to the final release. Been using Firefox 3 full-time since Beta 5, and it's proven remarkably stable for me.

SunnyRabbiera
June 12th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I will probably download it from mozilla to help the effort to get firefox its world record and all but I wont actually use it until my favorite add ons are available for it.

Robux the great
June 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Firefox 3 has been great for me

I got a load of updates the other day. I assume that it was an upgrade
to release candidate.

I like Firefox 3. Beta 5 has been very stable for me.

Regards

Rob

iidestined
June 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM
i saw the rc3 was released today. Anybody know how to install it?

SunnyRabbiera
June 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM

eh right now there is no real easy way to get it, you are better off waiting.

bjschuma
June 13th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Mine too!

bruce89
June 13th, 2008, 12:36 AM
3.0 final is already in hardy-proposed by the way. I'm actually using XULRunner 1.9 final just now in fact.

xMoDx
June 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
so this mean loading FF in ubuntu hardy will be much faster than current? since FF2 loads faster......

kernelhaxor
June 13th, 2008, 09:21 AM
thats awesome! can't wait!

renzokuken
June 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM

hey thats my birthday too....... i already got a dishwasher early for my brithday, now Firefox 3 !!!! how can it get any better...hehe

Maratonda
June 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I don't understand: why does the English site say that they release it on the 17th of June and here [ITALIAN] http://www.spreadfirefox.com/it/worldrecord they say (in Italian) that they will ANNOUNCE the RELEASE DATE on the 17th, which is different from releasing it.
Any Italian around?

La data ufficiale del rilascio di Firefox 3 verrŕ annunciata il 17 Giugno, 2008. Unitevi alla nostra comunitŕ aderendo oggi stesso a questo tentativo di record.
In French it is the same as in English

La date officielle du lancement de Firefox 3 est le 17 juin 2008.
I don't know much Spanish, but looks ok too...

La fecha oficial de la publicación de Firefox 3 es el 17 de junio de 2008

the yawner
June 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I haven't enabled my hardy proposed on my repo, but I got a Firefox 3 update which remove any traces naming it RC or anything. xulrunner's updated to 1.9. Is this it?

Polygon
June 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
the way rc releases work, is that if there are no further problems with it, literally the RC becomes final. So they dont put RC in the about box because if its all fine and good they just take that package and release it as final

akahige
June 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM

The changes in RC3 are for Macs only. There's no difference between RC2 and RC3 for any other platform.

mahela007
June 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
If you use firefox then you know that its a fantastic browser. I would just like to spread the word about download day. I dont intend this as an advertisement. I only want to tell everyone that firefox 3 will be available for download from june 17th onwards

ahawesome
June 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just got an e-mail confirming that Download Day will be June 17th. Be ready!

Mgiacchetti
June 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/files/images/affiliates_banners/468x60_ddayb_en.png (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node&id=0&t=272)
Release?
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

keiichidono
June 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I am going to download it on download day but i won't be installing it. I'll wait for the repo's to update it for me. ;)

klange
June 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM
hardy-proposed has RC3. Which looks like the final - it has no RC branding on it, and in fact the version in the repos doesn't even say it's an RC.

Of course, come download day I'll be getting it on my notebook and desktop just for the download to count, but I'll also be getting it on my family's two Windows machines and my laptop at work (which doesn't even run Firefox yet :( )

nilarimogard
June 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
http://icehot.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/don%E2%80%99t-forget-to-be-part-of-firefox%E2%80%99s-download-day/

Robux the great
June 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I am looking forward to the final release

Regards

Rob

Kalleo
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I've already pledged and can't wait. Using the Release Candidates kinda spoils it though.

p_quarles
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
"Firefox download day" threads merged.

Ptero-4
June 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Supporting from Panamá.

GOROSSI
June 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I Might even download the (im going to say a dirty world) :shock: mac version to add to the count

aysiu
June 15th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I don't think the record will mean anything (seeing as how any given Firefox user could download Firefox multiple times to bump up the number), but the publicity from it should be good for Firefox.

zmjjmz
June 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I'm going to get my dad's IT department (made up of one woman) to install and download FF on all the computers that day.

Joeb454
June 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I don't think the record will mean anything (seeing as how any given Firefox user could download Firefox multiple times to bump up the number), but the publicity from it should be good for Firefox.

They may do it by IP, and count 1 IP as 1 download, though I can totally see what you mean :confused:

sharks
June 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Firefox 3 releases on june 17

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/firefox3

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=23871

kool_kat_os
June 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM
i have the release candidate

mthei
June 15th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'll wait for it to enter the Fedora repos (still Beta 3, by the way - an RC was supposed to given this week, but it looks like they're waiting for the official release on Tuesday), but I installed Firefox on my parents' horribly out of date XP computer (so called "professional programmer" installed what was supposed to be a legitimate version of XP, although it will not update. I'm debating giving them Ubuntu or Mint or whatever), so I'll no doubt be downloading it for them anyway on Tuesday. I was surprised at how FF3 looks on Windows, though at least by default it blocks a lot of bad cookies, which I thought was something I'd have to myself.

Dark_Fire
June 15th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hey hey!

Just wanted to remind you all of the firefox download day! Also join the event on facebook! Let all your friends know! Lets make this one HUGE record!

Firefox is trying to see if they can set a record for the most sofware downloads in a single day! Will your name be in the book?

Check it out! (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=16999458883)

robertchahine
June 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
i will attempt the event right now ;)

zmjjmz
June 15th, 2008, 09:06 PM
This is the 4th thread on this?
I mean, it's good and all, but seriously.

id1337x
June 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ya I've seen this type of thread a lot, but you don't have to worry because there is only one more day before the download day comes along and then these topics will be gone. (Not that there a bad thing)

eeried
June 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM
What's wrong with helping libre software like Firefox 3 set a record, I ask you.

Just because we Ubuntu users are spoilt doesn't mean we shouldn't make a gesture.

Mozilla was the software that introduced me to libre sofwtare and I never looked back. I want to say "thank you".

If you think that's silly then I'm afraid there's something wrong with you Linux user (I have neen a Linux user for about four years, no dual boot with M$).

In fact it would have decent of the forum admin to put up an annoucement for the D-Day. The Ubuntu communinty is quite large and international and we could add our weight.

Can we actually trust M$ users only to promote libre software?

Please note you don't have to install FF3, you're just invited to download it from Download central (you'll find web sites showing the D-Day logo, and click on it, surest thing to do).

Sorry to sound like spam -- I'm a SpreadFirefox affiliate, so I'm doing my duty, hey!

Dark_Fire
June 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
oops, This post went thru twice...

Dark_Fire
June 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
What's wrong with helping libre software like Firefox 3 set a record, I ask you.

Just because we Ubuntu users are spoilt doesn't mean we shouldn't make a gesture.

Mozilla was the software that introduced me to libre sofwtare and I never looked back. I want to say "thank you".

If you think that's silly then I'm afraid there's something wrong with you Linux user (I have neen a Linux user for about four years, no dual boot with M$).

In fact it would have decent of the forum admin to put up an annoucement for the D-Day. The Ubuntu communinty is quite large and international and we could add our weight.

Can we actually trust M$ users only to promote libre software?

Please note you don't have to install FF3, you're just invited to download it from Download central (you'll find web sites showing the D-Day logo, and click on it, surest thing to do).

Sorry to sound like spam -- I'm a SpreadFirefox affiliate, so I'm doing my duty, hey!

I must agree with you here. Firefox has done us nothing but good! Its been giving us allot of opportunity! Imagine where we would have been without it?

Most browsers strive to Firefox. So Opera, IE7, and any other might not have had tab browsing, extended security features, spell check, you name it. Firefox can also get through almost any proxy servers. At school we are restricted to internet access. Firefox gets through it as if I am the network admin...

Come on guys, we have ALLOT to be thankful for. Lets show Firefox how thankful we are! Just one download. YOU DONT EVIN NEED TO INSTALL IT! Just download it...

Lets make our mark in history!

ma_nkooo
June 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm not going download it, because they posted wrong map of INDIA in their spreadfirefox website.

Kingsley
June 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
This is the 4th thread on this?
I mean, it's good and all, but seriously.
Hey! The more threads floating around, the less likely I'll forget to download Firefox.

Thanks for the reminder. :guitar:

Dark_Fire
June 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hey! The more threads floating around, the less likely I'll forget to download Firefox.

Thanks for the reminder. :guitar:
Hehe, its a pleasure man!

You can always "Thanks" me for it... :P

I just think Firefox rox and that if only 18% of the market uses it that means that 82% have never had a "Firefox experience!" and that's just sad to say the least...

eeried
June 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Comme on ma_nkooo, be a sport!

What you can do instead of sulking is join SpreadFirefox and complain.

Hey all, don't forget to pledge http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/ -- though of course the pledge is less important than the actual donwload from the right place (fell free to read the Faq on the same page)

zgornel
June 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
All your Firefox 3 are belong to us !

Colonel Kilkenny
June 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Most browsers strive to Firefox. So Opera, IE7, and any other might not have had tab browsing, extended security features, spell check, you name it.

Sorry for offtopic, I have to.
Internet Explorer got tabbed interface with shell called NetCaptor in 1997. Opera introduced MDI interface in 1994.
Firefox (or Mozilla) got it year 2001.

I'm not even going to start about other features...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/browsers/timeline.html

And yes, it would be nice if the would be only one thread about one thing.

Fedz
June 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I've been using the RC of FF3 for a few weeks but, tow the party line I've pledged and will download it anyway despite having it ;-)

Is it coincidence that they've decided to officially release FF3 on my birthday :lolflag:

nick09
June 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I've been using the RC of FF3 for a few weeks but, tow the party line I've pledged and will download it anyway despite having it ;-)

Is it coincidence that they've decided to officially release FF3 on my birthday :lolflag:

Consider it a present.:lolflag:

mgol
June 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know at what hour is Fx3 intended to appear? :)
We now have June 17, so this is the day!

EDIT: Ahh, I guess we have to wait at least till US 0:00, which is Polish 6:00 am. This makes it more clear...

Raccoon1400
June 17th, 2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Finally firefox 3 is ready to come out. Download it tomorrow to attempt to set a world record.

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 12:43 AM
*yawns*

ahawesome
June 17th, 2008, 12:54 AM
1,409,851 Pledges - Monday June 16th at 7:54 PM EDT

Let's just hope all these people are actually going to download FF3. I wonder if they will have some kind of 'download counter' so we know how big this is...

Redrazor39
June 17th, 2008, 01:01 AM
idk about you guys, but I'm thinking of going Bittorrent with this one. An HTTP download from all those people in such a short time would probably jam up something.

Firefox 3- June 17, 2008. USE BITTORRENT!!!

Lostincyberspace
June 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
idk about you guys, but I'm thinking of going Bittorrent with this one. An HTTP download from all those people in such a short time would probably jam up something.

Firefox 3- June 17, 2008. USE BITTORRENT!!!
NO then it doesn't count. Which is the whole reason for this.

tdrusk
June 17th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I have a few computers to update tomorrow.

Vitamin-Carrot
June 17th, 2008, 01:40 AM
But its the 17th today

Raccoon1400
June 17th, 2008, 01:44 AM
But its the 17th today

Where you are. In Canada it is still the 16th.

nick09
June 17th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Where you are. In Canada it is still the 16th.

Yeah in New York its the 16th.

the_darkside_986
June 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'll be sure to do this for the Windows Vista machine at work. Manual download and installation of software in Ubuntu is something to avoid.

EDIT: oh wait, there's already a topic about this below.

quanumphaze
June 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM
It's been June 17th for 11 hours now in Australia and the site still shows FF 2

What hour does it come out?

Depressed Man
June 17th, 2008, 02:31 AM
They may do it by IP, and count 1 IP as 1 download, though I can totally see what you mean :confused:

If that's the case I might as well download it on my desktop then take a USB flash drive and copy the .exe (installing it on Windows, on Ubuntu I'll just wait for it to hit the repos) over to my laptop.

Was just going download it on both machines. But oh well :P

Raccoon1400
June 17th, 2008, 02:34 AM
EDIT: oh wait, there's already a topic about this below.

Oops.

xebian
June 17th, 2008, 02:57 AM
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

Finally firefox 3 is ready to come out. Download it tomorrow to attempt to set a world record.

If they have 64-bit I will.

Opera 9.5 has 64-bit version released just a couple of days ago.

sports fan Matt
June 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Im in the minority I think..I may not even bother since im exploring and liking Opera...

xebian
June 17th, 2008, 03:12 AM
But where is the 64-bit version? If they have one then I'll download.

I think they are acting like arrogant Adobe (Flash) ignoring the 64-bit users out there.

Opera 9.5 was just released a few days ago and the 64-bit version is very nice.

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Im in the minority I think..I may not even bother since im exploring and liking Opera...
+1

I don't care anymore...

Daedal Dementia
June 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
i prefer opera over FF. i only use FF to mess with opera or if opera decides to be gay when playing flash.

andrewabc
June 17th, 2008, 04:41 AM
According to mozilla wiki it wont be out until 10:00 AM PST.

sports fan Matt
June 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Im still trying to find a few things like a weather theme (forecast fox in ff) and a mail notifier

bvanaerde
June 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM
1,409,851 Pledges - Monday June 16th at 7:54 PM EDT
Looks a bit disappointing to me, as they were aiming at 5 milion, if I recall correctly.

But of course there'll be a lot more actual downloaders, as not everybody will do the plegde-thingie :)

bikeboy
June 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Dare I mention that final builds can now be downloaded - please find a mirror rather than hammering the main ftp server, it will make Mozilla unhappy if we all go there (hence I'm not mentioning the address here).

Note: Downloading now will not count towards the download day for those who care about that.

Linux x86_64 tar.bz is coming, not ready yet.

Update: http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html <--- not all mirrors will be up to date yet but that should help.

bvanaerde
June 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
hmm... I think they want us to wait :)

bomanizer
June 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
According to mozilla wiki it wont be out until 10:00 AM PST.

That will be 20:00 over here :) (GMT +2)

eeried
June 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
nick09 Happy Birthday with Firefox 3!

mgol: Download Day starts at 5pm UTC so you should be able to work out what time it is in Poland (cheers to Poles in Poland the leading European pledgers so far, and France rather close behind now!)

GavinZac
June 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not going download it, because they posted wrong map of INDIA in their spreadfirefox website.

What's wrong about it?

quanumphaze
June 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Do they count only if I do a full download?

If for example it fails or I have to stop it for some reason will it still count?

-gabe-noob-
June 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Plegeded

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Am I the only one that can't seem to get to one of mozilla's firefox' website?

None of them load.

geoken
June 17th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'll be doing at least 8 downloads today, 4 at work and 4 at home. If while walking through my workplace I notice any unattended computers that number will get bumped up while I hijack that machine to download FF.

I also haven't pledged, so those pledge numbers can be taken with a grain of salt.

eragon100
June 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I pledged, I am going to download it twice :)

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The main page still want me to download firefox 2.

It's already 14.35h, they can't wait much longer or they won't get any from Europe. As I think most people will download on the job.

bufsabre666
June 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
The main page still want me to download firefox 2.

It's already 14.35h, they can't wait much longer or they won't get any from Europe. As I think most people will download on the job.

10am pacific standard time, just wait 4.5 hours left

quanumphaze
June 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I guess it will have to be tomorrow for me. It's 10:42p and I have an exam tomorrow.

I only have a 2 hour window of opportunity tomorrow before I pack up.

billgoldberg
June 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
10am pacific standard time, just wait 4.5 hours left

They bringing it out on June 17, at 19.00h for Europe?

It seems they care more about there American user base, well I won't be downloading it then.

I'll just wait for it to hit the Ubuntu repo's.

Occasionally Correct
June 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM

It seems they care more about there American user base, well I won't be downloading it then
That's just a little on the silly side. If they wanted to cater to Americans, they could have released it by now so we'd have the entire day to download it. As it stands, Europeans aren't the only ones waiting four~ more hours.

:p

bufsabre666
June 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM

It seems they care more about there American user base, well I won't be downloading it then.

I'll just wait for it to hit the Ubuntu repo's.

i dont know if you noticed, but an overwelming majority of pledgers are american, and by overwelming, i mean they more than doubled poland who was in second, besides mozilla servers are in mountain view california

FuturePilot
June 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
So I take it it's not available yet? Because I can't find a download anywhere. :confused:

GStubbs43
June 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Download Day starts on June 17th at 10 a.m. PDT. Check this out for local times:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=17&year=2008&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&sort=1

Countdown:

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=6&day=17&year=2008&hour=10&min=00&sec=00&p0=224

FuturePilot
June 17th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Oh. There's 3 hours left. I see :)

rune0077
June 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What's all this obsession with world records? I'd assume a product is good because of it's quality not because it got mentioned in a book somewhere. Just to show my defiance, I hereby pledge to wait until Download Day is over, before downloading it (yes, I'm just annoying that way).

legolas_w
June 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hi
Thank you for reading my post
I heard that FireFox 3 is going to be out in a few hours. I am wondering whether a deb package will be available for Ubuntu in the same day or not.
I saw in the news that FF folk want to register a record for the biggest amount of download in 24 hours.

The other question is, does FF 3 remove my current FF configuration or it will use them (I have FF 2)?

Thanks

Exsecrabilus
June 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
If it reaches the repos today, I guess you could say it might be available on http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Nepherte
June 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I highly doubt it. If you want to contribute to the number of downloads, you can of course download the linux binaries and use those.

Relating the compatibility issue, Firefox 3 uses the same .mozilla folder as Firefox 2. Just backup your .mozilla directory in case you want to use Firefox 2 later on and remove the .mozilla directory. Firefox 3 will create a new entry the first time you start it:

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla_backup
rm -r ~/.mozilla

K.Mandla
June 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM