PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] invalid username keeping me from installing

bigmofo
June 15th, 2008, 12:54 AM
i have downloaded wubi and when i installed it, it told me to pick a username and password. after that i had to restart. i booted from ubuntu and it started the installation process. in the middle of the process a red screen came up and said my username was invalid. i followed all the rules for making a username, but it still gives me this message. it wont let me do anything after this. every time i select finish installation from the menu i get the same red screen. what am i doing wrong?

Yuki_Nagato
June 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
You say you installed it twice. But, never-the-less, your username seems to be invalid. I see two options. The first being to clear wubi away and reinstall it, keeping to the username guidelines. The other, if possible, to change the username from a terminal.

Can you get a terminal running from the wubi install in any way? Try Alt + Control + F1.

bigmofo
June 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
thanx for the help, but it is still doing the same thing

avtolle
June 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Don't quite understand what is going on, but are you using the same user name as you use for Windows? IIRC, that has been an issue in the past.

Yuki_Nagato
June 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I have never used wubi, so I am going to go all the way back to the start. Did you check the .ISO file you got with an MD5 check? If it passed the MD5, try re-making the disk with a slower write speed.

This is not a beta version is it? I remember Gentoo's original 2008 beta could do nothing with the GUI on install.