PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how to repair/revert to the good version ? (8.04)

Andre-D
June 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I switched on extra updates, not only the "approved" updates.
now I have problems with samba.
how can I "reinstall"/"revert" to original Ubuntu 8.04 - reverting back to approved updates only?

hoboken
June 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
system - administration - synaptic package manager, then click package, repositories, updates. From there you can manage your updates.

However, if you're having problems with samba it means the update was already installed. Not sure how easy it is to roll back a program..

Andre-D
June 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
That's why I am trying to find out, I am also ruing kernel ...19 , I could start by booting an older one :) - not sure how good solution that is, and what is the latest official kernel.

avtolle
June 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
.19 is, AFAIK, the latest "official" kernel, as this kernel has been available to all my computers, some of which are set up to the "approved" repos only.

For Samba; before changing your software sources list, mark the installed version for total removal under Synaptic; hit apply. Then, update your sources list as suggested above, reload, open Synaptic and install Samba from there. HTH.

housam
June 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Maybe booting from older kernel could solve the problem.