PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Desktop CD for Ubuntu installation (MacBook)

J.sanchez
June 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I've been having some trouble making the desktop CD to install xubuntu and ubuntu (I've tried both).

I'm in disk utility trying to copy the disk image, but I'm not sure if I should change the partition: Master Book Partition? CD/DVD with iso?

I'm not a tech person, so the problem is probably very simple.:confused:

Habbit
June 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
From what you say, I understand but you have downloaded the Ubuntu and Xubuntu installation CDs but don't know what to do with them. If that is your problem, you need to burn one of them to a CD and boot from it, which, iIrc, requires holding the "option" key right after the "POST ok" chime.

J.sanchez
June 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is my problem: do I burn the iso itself onto a CD, or do I burn the disk image after I click on the iso. If the latter, do I burn the whole disk image (which will copy as a folder onto the CD) , or do I burn the contents of the disk image onto the CD.

I am using the amd64.iso, which is the right one,

-J

Habbit
June 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure what the Mac terminology for the required action is, but the end result should be a bootable CD with a bunch of folders in it. In Windows, the path would be to open Nero (or any other CD burner) and select "burn image", while in Ubuntu double-clicking a CD image should bring up a dialog offering you to burn it. I don't really know what software comes with Mac OS X, but the following paths are definitely wrong:

If you just copy the image file and end up with a CD containing only one (.iso) file
If you "mount" the .iso image (as you can do with .dmg images) and "copy" its contents to a CD - the result will not be bootable

2words4uready
June 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications → Utilities → Disk Utility).

2. If you see the ISO in the left-hand pane, select it.

3. Click on the Burn button in the toolbar. (If you did not select the ISO in step two, you'll be prompted to find it.)

4. Ensure that the "Verify burned data" checkbox is ticked (you may need to click on the disclosure triangle to see the checkbox).

5. Click on Burn. The data will be burned and verified.

J.sanchez
June 14th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks. Problem solved!:)