PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install downloaded software

ffoeg
June 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hello. I'm trying to install downloaded software It came in a tar file. I extracted the files to a folder. How can I user apt-get to install this software? I've tried the ./configure method. When I try to run "make" after ./configure it tells me "make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop."

So, I'd like to use the apt-get method if possible. But, from what I've researched, I'd have to have an online source of these installation files to do that. Is that true?

Thanks

Partyboi2
June 14th, 2008, 01:06 PM
What program are you trying to install?

ffoeg
June 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
openvpn downloaded from openvpn.net

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
When you ./configure you need to look for dependancys you need to compile the app. It will tell you what dependancys you need at the end of the ./configure process. Then just install the dependancys via apt or synaptic.

ffoeg
June 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I'll look into that, Thank you for the info. But speaking of the./configure method, the directions from the openvpn site say to "n cd to the top-level directory and type:
./configure
make
make install"
By "top-level directory" do you think they mean the top level of the folder that I extracted the files to?

Thanks

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'll look into that, Thank you for the info. But speaking of the./configure method, the directions from the openvpn site say to "n cd to the top-level directory and type:
./configure
make
make install"
By "top-level directory" do you think they mean the top level of the folder that I extracted the files to?

Thanks

The actual folder the files are in ;)

ffoeg
June 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
so when running ./configure, and it says "checking for (something) ..." and it says "no" right after, that identifies what I have to install?

Thanks

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM
so when running ./configure, and it says "checking for (something) ..." and it says "no" right after, that identifies what I have to install?

Thanks

Yes

Also the readme (in the extracted folder) usually says which dependancys you will need ;)

Partyboi2
June 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
openvpn is in the ubuntu repo's you can install it by synaptic package manager or from a terminal

sudo apt-get install openvpn
unless of course there is a reason you need to compile it. :)