PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice tip (startup time)

newbie2
October 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Reduce OpenOffice startup time to 1 or 2 seconds without pre-loading.

from Slashdot:

Disable Java in the options and it starts in 1-2 seconds on the same machine.

By way of comparison, I tried the same trick on my 32bit box (similar spec but with slower HDD's) and OOo was as snappy as hell and opened like the proverbial soil off a shovel.

If there's any functionality I miss through disabling Java, I haven't encountered any yet. And please note I'm not saying that Java is slow to execute (it isn't), it's just appallingly slow to load.

------------------------------

Somewhat off topic but pertinent ENOUGH... Good God man! Thank you! The Java tab in the options dialog was incredibly easy to find but for some reason I just breezed right over it. Unclicking that little devil's box just dropped my start time from 15-20 seconds to 1.

Fran
http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4688172&tid=msft&sid=4688172&mid=1035263

Zotova
October 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Out of interest which version of java are you running? I'm presuming sun's?

I'm using the blackdown java and whilst disabling it did make a noticeable change it wasn't to the extent of what the article said. Maybe sun's java slows down open office more than other java packages? Just a thought.

newbie2
October 27th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Out of interest which version of java are you running? I'm presuming sun's?

I'm using the blackdown java and whilst disabling it did make a noticeable change it wasn't to the extent of what the article said. Maybe sun's java slows down open office more than other java packages? Just a thought.
i was just quoting from that messageboard on yahoo :oops: ;)

-Rick-
October 27th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I installed Openoffice(1.1.4) without java support on freebsd and never noticed any difference...