PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sygate Personal Firewall -how can I install it ????

hoboy
June 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I am looking for a good free personal firewall as I am not an expert in the area I have been told about Sygate Personal Firewall, I couldn't find an ubuntu version of it.
Is there an other one as good as Sygate Personal Firewall ?
Tks.

colo
June 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
You can't, as it is a Windows-only app. But rest assured you do not need a desktop personal firewall when running GNU/Linux (which Ubuntu is a nice variant of). That's reserved for people running software they can't trust, and that does not really apply to an operating system where all the software you run is downloaded from reviewed, canonical repositories.

ajgreeny
June 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Colo's right, you don't need to add anything to Ubuntu to get a firewall, it has one running by default (iptables) which keeps all ports invisible until you ask them to do something, such as use the internet or email, etc etc.
As I've said elsewhere, if you're not running a server system, forget your windows experiences and go with the safety of linux and Ubuntu. You don't need virus checking software either; both superfluous.

vishzilla
June 14th, 2008, 11:51 AM
you could try uncomplicated firewall. its installed by default in Ubuntu. [link (http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-take-use-setup-and-advantage-of.html)]

hoboy
June 14th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks guy I am reassured now

bruce64
December 11th, 2008, 09:50 PM
sort of on topic question - what if you need access to a sygated tunnel? My VPN works fine however there are some aspects (work related websites) that I still need to access but am unable to because I do not have sygate installed on my machine. Is there a possible work around or a program that can fool the server into thinking my machine is "sygated"?