//============= EDITED 02/02/2010 ==================== //

Check the webpage: http://gloobus.net
and the wiki: http://gloobus.net/wiki

To install gloobus-preview:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/gloobus-preview
sudo apt-get install gloobus-preview
sudo apt-get upgrade

And then restart nautilus

To install covergloobus (The music player..)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/covergloobus
sudo apt-get isntall covergloobus

To install gloobus-flow (coverflow like nautilus)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/gloobus-flow !!!! NOT AVAILABLE WORKING YET!!!
sudo apt-get install gloobus-flow
sudo apt-get upgrade

And restart nautilus

//============= EDITED 09/09/2009 ==================== //
Woww, have you seen the date!!

Gloobus PPA up and running with the last version and patched nautilus to launch gloobus-preview with just pressing the space key.
Follow instructions here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/gloobus/+question/73391

//============= EDITED 10/05/2009 ==================== //
Hi!!!!

Good News!!!
New version of Gloobus-Preview Available!!!!
It works for jaunty with no problems! Here you have the URL and the ChangeLog

About CoverGloobus, I've done some improvements, you can find the new link here to!!

I hope you like it!!
Gloobus-Preview-0.03.2 (http://jordihp.deviantart.com/art/Gloobus-Preview-0-03-2-122054947)

CoverGloobus (http://jordihp.deviantart.com/art/CoverGloobus-1-2-118080718)

Donate (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=0ffR9mMKmWT2y9c0DV-04ZuX2Hsun9i2LOh44aOQ0aEdnF5nL7kGk4NGIDG&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f998ca054efbdf2c25fe4a05bc b33bff66824cbab1a92dde6)

ChangeLog Gloobus-Preview 0.03.1
- iComic (cbz and cbr)
- iPdf solved som bugs
- Shadow in the application
- iMp3 with ogg support
- iDocument fixed a very annoing warning
- iFolder

Installation Instructions Inside the file! (32bits and 64bits versions)

// ================================================== = //

Hi everyone,
I'm developing a free opensource QuickLook for linux in openGL (c++) it is a coverflow for see the in a fast way the files without opening them,

There are the links for download, screencast and launchpad page:

Blog: http://gloobus.wordpress.com/
Launchpad: http://launchpad.net/gloobus
Screenshots: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gloobus
Screencasts: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=badchoice
External Downloads: https://edge.launchpad.net/gloobus/+download

DONATE: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=guitarboy000%40gmail%2ecom&item_name=Gloobus%2c%20A%20Quicklook%20for%20linux&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

Now I have it in a very good way but there are a couple of things I would like to do and I don't know how, maybe you can help me.

First one: How to bind space key in nautlius to launch my own nautilus-script (this will be used for bind space key to preview file)

Second : How to add a button on the toolbar that lauches my own nautilus-script (this will be used for launch folder coverflow)

If anyone of you know how to do this It will be one of the remaining points solved!

Some information about:Now I can preview, any kind of images, any kind of plain text files and pdf. It supports mp3 (album coverts and song preview)
and I'm working on video files support and plugin architecture.

I also would like to know your ideas so this way we can make it beat apples one!!!!

Thank you!

pt123
June 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for posting about it here. You might want to mention "Cover Flow" in the title.

It would be good if there was a way to navigate into to a folder shown in cover flow.

Also it might be better to cache only the first 20 or so images in a folder with many images.

It doesn't currently work well with PNGs, no problems with jpgs.

Keep up the good work

badchoice
June 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, there are still a lot of things to do...

Now I'll add coverflow on the title so it will be easy for the people to know what is it about!!

I've planned to load only 20 images every time, but now I'm developing the plugin architecture to make it more modular and easyest to find the bugs and solve them (like the pngs one, or the blanc shapes), plus this way everyone can develop his onw preview plugin! I'm doing it givint total liberty for the plugins so each one can do whatever they want!!

I'll post on launchpad and here when the next version is ready!

Thanks !

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Looks cool :)

Thanks

bash
June 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It looks really nice. Great work so far. I really liked that idea when I first saw it on a mac. Although I would probably mostly use it to play around and not for productivity ;)

So far I see you have to activate the gloobus mode through rightclicking a file. Are there any plans to include the gloobus mode as part of the nautilus window? So just can just activate or deactive it like the status- or sidebar of nautilus?

badchoice
June 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yes, it's planned to integrate it with nautilus, I'm talking with nautilus developers to see if we can achieve this.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 14th, 2008, 08:51 PM
That looks pretty promising. Good luck with the project and the Nautilus integration.

aktiwers
June 14th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Looks very nice!

Jay_Bee
June 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Wow, this stuff is great, good job badchoise! :D
This really made my day, I can't wait to see it in nautilus!:grin:

badchoice
June 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you all!
I'll post here the new releases and the new information about the project!

badchoice
June 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Version 0.02 is out!!

It has the preview wit plugin architecture, this way we can find and solve problems in a very easy way and now, everyone can develop his own plugin. When everything is more stable I'll post a quick guide on how to implement your own plugin. I hope we can preview almost all the files!!

Download: https://launchpad.net/gloobus/gloobus-0.02/0.02

And remember, you can donate me some money ;)

DONATE: http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

pt123
June 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
What's new in 0.02?

Hopefully that amount will have a good conversion rate, where you are from.

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm developing a free opensource QuickLook for linux in openGL (c++) Could you please also post a version for Gutsy (= Ubuntu 7.10)? Or could you please post the source package so us Gutsy users could compile our own binary release version?

I don't feel like upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 yet as it's still way too buggy for my taste. But it would be nice to have gloobus nontheless ;)

Colonel Kilkenny
June 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Could you please also post a version for Gutsy (= Ubuntu 7.10)? Or could you please post the source package so us Gutsy users could compile our own binary release version?

I don't feel like upgrading to Ubuntu 8.04 yet as it's still way too buggy for my taste. But it would be nice to have gloobus nontheless ;)

And same humble request goes for 64bit systems. Either package for amd64 or sources.

badchoice
June 16th, 2008, 02:10 PM
The main reason of this new version is the plugin architecture, I've rewrited all the preview function and now it supports plugins.

Plugins can have his own load, update and render function so it can be very scalable!!

I'm from Barcelona (Spain), these days I'll be fixing a lot of issues, till now I just made it work to see what were the capibilities of it, now I very proud and I'm fixing a lot of things till version 0.03 that will have both gloobus and preview with plugin architecture.

There should be no problem at all in compiling it for gutsy or 64 bits version, if you want to compile it and send me the binaries I'll put them on launchpad page (I have no gusty machine neither 64bits one) if you have any problem, please tell me and I'll try to solve it.

Thank you all!

I put 1000$ on chipIn widget to put something, you can donate the amount you want there is no problem about it or not reaching 1000$, I'm doing it cause I think it will be good to have a quicklook for linux, and since it takes me a lot of time, get paid is allways a great reward :D :D :):KS

Thank you again!

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
There should be no problem at all in compiling it for gutsy or 64 bits version, if you want to compile it and send me the binaries I'll put them on launchpad page OK, but where are the source files please? And what libraries are needed? It would be nice if you could give a quickie overview of the requires packages and post the source code somewhere where we can easily find it :)

badchoice
June 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Of course!
Here you have the code addres, the project is under launchpad

https://code.launchpad.net/gloobus

Bugs managment, code, releases, answers...

The libraries needed are listed in the README file inside the release and in the main folder in the code.

GL
GLU
SDL
SDL_IMAGE
SDL_MIXER (For mp3 plugin)
TAGLIB (For mp3 plugin)
Magick++ (For text and pdf plugin)
Magic (To know the file type)

If you still have any problem, please tell me.

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
The libraries needed are listed in the README file inside the release and in the main folder in the code.

GL
GLU
SDL
SDL_IMAGE
SDL_MIXER (For mp3 plugin)
TAGLIB (For mp3 plugin)
Magick++ (For text and pdf plugin)
Magic (To know the file type)

If you still have any problem, please tell me. Can you list the package names for those libraries please? I am sure there are many users out there who don't know that e.g. to get what you call "Magick++" they'd need to install "libmagick++10-dev" and so on. See what I mean?

Please list the package names needed so people can copy & paste the list and "apt-get install" it, OK? ;)

DeadSuperHero
June 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I think this is a fantastic project, I hope to see it grow!
I'll be putting up some suggestions on LaunchPad.

Le-Froid
June 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think I installed everything needed for it, but for some reason it doesn't respond to my keyboard, and after 3-5 seconds my computer freezes :S

Can you list, exactly, what I need to make it work (using Ubuntu 8.04)

edit: Got keyboard working, but it is EXTREMELY SLOW on my computer :S On windows, all SDL/OpenGL programs and stuff work just fine

badchoice
June 16th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hey, I've just uploaded a new version 0.021

https://launchpad.net/gloobus/gloobus-0.02/0.02

I've improved some things (Faster pdf and text renders), less memory hungry and some other things...

I've changed the way it loads the textures and I hope it fixes the white shape bug and the slow one...

You can run it from command line to see the debugin lines, and if there are errors you can post them in launchpad.

It only affects the preview function not the gloobus one, so please, don't report bugs about the gloobus one till I upgrade it to the plugin architecture!!

Donate: http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

The dependences needed:

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libmagick++9-dev libmagic-dev libtag1-dev

Thanks!

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 10:21 PM
The dependences needed:

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libmagick++9-dev libmagic1 You're the man :D

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Of course!
Here you have the code addres, the project is under launchpad

https://code.launchpad.net/gloobus

Bugs managment, code, releases, answers... Hmmmm ... sorry, I still can't figure out how to download the source files as one single archive? :confused: .... Or can we use cvs or svn to get to those files? Sorry, I am lost here.

scorp123
June 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Self-reply ... reading the small print helps it seems :)

bzr branch lp:gloobus/gloobus-0.02

Le-Froid
June 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Still slow after new one + all needed things, but atleast at this point it is usable for me :)
edit: Got a lot faster, but uses 90% of my memory (Ive got 2gb ram)

badchoice
June 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
90% of 2BG of memory????
Are you using gloous or preview? preview just loads one file, and gloobus loads all the folder, and does the coverflow transitions but now it don't use the plugin architecture were I've made all the improvements, its the next step, join gloobus with the plugin and improve it a lot, one of this improvements is to have just 10 files on memory.

scorp123
June 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Something else ... Can you please post how one is supposed to compile "gloobus"? I get endless amounts of errors when I try to execute "make all" despite having all the needed libraries installed.

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Something else ... Can you please post how one is supposed to compile "gloobus"? I get endless amounts of errors when I try to execute "make all" despite having all the needed libraries installed.

I had some issues with TagLib, it reported me a lot of errors on compiling. Taglib library in Ubuntu has some bugs and it searches for his own headers files in a wrong path...

To solve this you just need to edit the file that give errors (I can't remeber now) is the two firs lines of errors (attachedpicturetag.h or something like this) and at the top of this file, add "../" on the include paths.

I hope it helps!

I will do a better search and post here the solution in a better explanation!

scorp123
June 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
These are the errors I get:

:~/tmp/Gloobus/gloobus-0.02/Gloobus-dev > make

g++ -Wall -o gloobus main.cpp engine.cpp timer.cpp load.cpp font.cpp -lSDL -lGL -lGLU -lSDL_image -lMagick++ -lmagic -lSDL_ttf -ltag
In file included from engine.h:12,
from main.cpp:1:
load.h:14:44: error: magic.h: No such file or directory
load.h:18:29: error: taglib/mpegfile.h: No such file or directory
load.h:19:41: error: taglib/attachedpictureframe.h: No such file or directory
load.h:20:29: error: taglib/id3v2tag.h: No such file or directory
In file included from engine.h:12,
from engine.cpp:8:
engine.cpp: In function ‘int getdir(std::string, std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >&)’:
engine.cpp:39: error: ‘magic_t’ was not declared in this scope
engine.cpp:39: error: expected `;' before ‘myt’
engine.cpp:40: error: ‘myt’ was not declared in this scope
engine.cpp:40: error: ‘magic_load’ was not declared in this scope
engine.cpp:46: error: ‘magic_file’ was not declared in this scope
engine.cpp:67: error: ‘magic_close’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from load.cpp:1:
load.cpp: In member function ‘std::string Load::getFileType(std::string)’:
load.cpp:29: error: ‘magic_t’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:29: error: expected `;' before ‘myt’
load.cpp:30: error: ‘myt’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:30: error: ‘magic_load’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:31: error: ‘magic_file’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:32: error: ‘magic_close’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp: In member function ‘void Load::loadMP3(Photo*)’:
load.cpp:233: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:233: error: expected `;' before ‘file’
load.cpp:234: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:234: error: ‘tagv2’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:234: error: ‘file’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:238: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:238: error: expected `;' before ‘tags’
load.cpp:239: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:239: error: expected `;' before ‘pictures’
load.cpp:241: error: ‘pictures’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:244: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:244: error: ‘picture’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp:245: error: expected type-specifier before ‘TagLib’
load.cpp:245: error: expected `>' before ‘TagLib’
load.cpp:245: error: expected `(' before ‘TagLib’
load.cpp:245: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:245: error: expected primary-expression before ‘>’ token
load.cpp:245: error: expected `)' before ‘;’ token
load.cpp:247: error: ‘TagLib’ has not been declared
load.cpp:247: error: expected `;' before ‘pictureData’
load.cpp:249: error: ‘pictureData’ was not declared in this scope
load.cpp: In member function ‘void Load::scaleImage(Photo*, int, int)’:
load.cpp:291: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:292: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:298: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:299: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp: In member function ‘void Load::getSizeResized(Photo*, int*, int*)’:
load.cpp:326: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:327: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:333: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:334: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:342: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:343: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:350: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
load.cpp:351: warning: converting to ‘int’ from ‘float’
make: *** [gloobus] Interrupt

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
There are two main errors.

magic.h
and taglib, it like you don't have magic-dev and taglib-dev..

Maybe I posted wrong the packages needed to compile, when I get home I'll make sure that the apt-get install code I give you is Ok.

Anyway, you can use sudo apt-cache search taglib and search fort something like taglib-dev..

and sudo apt-cache search magic and search for something like libmagic-dev

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
You're right I put wrong the packages the good one:

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libmagick++9-dev libmagic-dev libtag1-dev

scorp123
June 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The error messages have changed.

Now I get this:

make

g++ -Wall -o gloobus main.cpp engine.cpp timer.cpp load.cpp font.cpp -lSDL -lGL -lGLU -lSDL_image -lMagick++ -lmagic -lSDL_ttf -ltag
In file included from load.h:19,
from engine.h:12,
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:25:24: error: id3v2frame.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:26:25: error: id3v2header.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:42: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:122: error: ‘Type’ in class ‘TagLib::String’ does not name a type
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:129: error: ‘struct TagLib::String::Type’ has not been declared
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:205: error: ‘Header’ has not been declared
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:25:24: error: id3v2frame.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:26:25: error: id3v2header.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:42: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:122: error: ‘Type’ in class ‘TagLib::String’ does not name a type
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:129: error: ‘struct TagLib::String::Type’ has not been declared
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:205: error: ‘Header’ has not been declared
from load.cpp:1:
load.cpp:245: error: invalid static_cast from type ‘TagLib::ID3v2::Frame*’ to type ‘TagLib::ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame*’
from font.h:10,
from font.cpp:1:
make: *** [gloobus] Error 1

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Yes, this is the bug in the taglib library for ubuntu I commented you in the previous post:

You just need to edit the file
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h

and replace the two includes at the top of the file:
#include <id3v2frame.h>
#include <id3v2header.h>

for

#include <taglib/id3v2frame.h>
#include <taglib/id3v2header.h>

Then it should compile!!!

scorp123
June 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I changed the lines in the file you mentioned but it didn't help.

> make
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:28:31: error: taglib/id3v3frame.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:45: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:125: error: ‘Type’ in class ‘TagLib::String’ does not name a type
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:132: error: ‘struct TagLib::String::Type’ has not been declared
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:28:31: error: taglib/id3v3frame.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:45: error: expected class-name before ‘{’ token
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:125: error: ‘Type’ in class ‘TagLib::String’ does not name a type
/usr/include/taglib/attachedpictureframe.h:132: error: ‘struct TagLib::String::Type’ has not been declared
from load.cpp:1:
load.cpp:245: error: invalid static_cast from type ‘TagLib::ID3v2::Frame*’ to type ‘TagLib::ID3v2::AttachedPictureFrame*’
from font.h:10,
from font.cpp:1:
make: *** [gloobus] Error 1

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry, I typed it down wrong:

taglib/id3v3frame.h

must be

taglib/id3v2frame.h

scorp123
June 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Could you then update the source code please and include your corrections in the 'README' file? I guess anyone trying to compile this will experience the same errors. It would be nice to have corrected sources + a comment in the 'README' giving clear instructions. ;)

badchoice
June 18th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I'v uploaded Version 0.022
It includes a lot of improvements, now gloobus coverflow uses the plugin architecture with all the benefits it has.

I've added a lot of things, for the moment nothing visually new, just faster and lees memory eater, in newer versions I'll add some eyecandy things!!

I'v forget to put the taglib corrections in the readme but I have corrected the libs needed, in the next version I'll put a note on how to fix that taglib bug.

And remeber you can still donate ;)
Donate: http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

Thank you all!

Aghosh993
June 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to install gloobus on my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop. I did exactly what you instructed in the README file (running install.sh in su mode, and installing the dependencies). However, when I try to use gloobus mode in nautilus, the window pops up for about 1/2 second, and then disappears. Also, when I try running gloobus as sudo from terminal, I get:
abhi@ubuntu:~/Desktop/RELEASE$ sudo ./gloobus ~/Desktop
LOADING PLUGINS:
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iFolder.so
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iMp3.so
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iPdf.so
Error loading Plugin: libMagick++.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ideas?
Thanks

badchoice
June 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
You need imagemagick installed, try:

sudo apt-get install imagemagick

If it solves you problem please tell me and I will add it to the README file

pt123
June 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Just installed the binary release of 0.22 below are some comments:
* it works a lot smoother now but the CPU% always reaches 100% and will stay there even if you don't do anything. This happens with compiz on or off, the directory had 5 images.
Edit: strangely even if it is at 100% everything else is very useable, not sure if this is because of the hyperthreading on my old cpu.

*large image directories stalls it. The CPU% reaches 190% and the application becomes unusable. So I am wondering is there any limiting used currently like only caching 15 thumbnails.
Edit: After seeing the terminal output it is caching all the images.

* also is it possible to skip the directories when displaying the first thumbnail, so an image is displayed rather than a row of orange folders.

*is there a way to start it up in a terminal to see some output, which might assist you in finding bugs.
Edit: found it :)

Keep up the good work.

Aghosh993
June 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Nope, still gives me the same error message when I try to run it within terminal as su. Also, same response in nautilus.

Exsecrabilus
June 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Badchoice, you should make your own blog or forums for people to keep track of this project.

All the information on the two different topics on these forums and the first post not being updated frequently is kind of frustrating.

zekopeko
June 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
we need desktop integration for gloobus. stuff like default fonts in coverflow and custom icons for folders if they are specified or just use icon themes of gnome/kde.
that would be awesome

badchoice
June 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Version 0.023 is Out!!
You can download it from here:
https://launchpad.net/gloobus/+download

And the screencast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauVAOuUnXQ

Donations:
http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

Aghosh993: Try with:

sudo apt-get install libmagick10
And tell me if it works :P

Exsecrabilus:
good idea, I'll create a gloobus.blogspot.com account :D

Zekopeko:
Yes, I have planed to do this when no plugin is found, use the theme icon, but now I don't know how to use theme icons.. I'll do some research :D

Exsecrabilus
June 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Version 0.023 is Out!!
You can download it from here:

And the screencast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauVAOuUnXQ

Donations:
http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

Aghosh993: Try with:

sudo apt-get install libmagick10
And tell me if it works :P

Exsecrabilus:
good idea, I'll create a gloobus.blogspot.com account :D

Zekopeko:
Yes, I have planed to do this when no plugin is found, use the theme icon, but now I don't know how to use theme icons.. I'll do some research :D
That's so hot, I think it looks really awesome. XD

Aghosh993
June 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
The terminal output gives me "can't find package libmagick10".
Ideas?
Thx.

Exsecrabilus
June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
The terminal output gives me "can't find package libmagick10".
Ideas?
Thx.
In the README.txt, near the end, he tells to run the following command:

sudo apt-get install ?????, ?????, ?????, etc.
Open up the Terminal and copy and paste that.

quinnten83
June 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
On a completely unrelated note, I would love it if you could actually implement a coverflow for rhythmbox, that is if you can find some time in your busy schedule. There is a dude already working on this, but his seems still a bit buggy.

Islington
June 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Gloobus_a_QuickLook_for_Linux

Posted on Digg. Help digg it up!

tretle
June 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
This looks awesome. How do you fetch the album art.. Would it be a good idea to create a new thumbnail view for album art in nautilus based off it and this would be 100% perfect if it was integrated into the nautilus widget instead of creating a new one... For the coverflow effect that is. The quicklook widget is perfect the way it is now :D :P Great work... Thanks for the contribution.

Hells_Dark
June 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
gloobus ~/Image
LOADING PLUGINS:
Error loading Plugin: /usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iMp3.so: cannot open shared object file: Permission denied
zsh: exit 255 gloobus ~/Image
I always have that :/

(ho, and if somebody could detail the nautilus-action part, i din't really understand it)

EDIT : resolved with a

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iMp3.so

But now..

Creating iText...
FILE: ./.zsnes
FileType: application/x-not-regular-file
Creating iFolder...
Thread
Loading Folder Cover: ./Auto/cover.jpg
Loading no Folder Cover: nofolder.jpg
zsh: segmentation fault gloobus .

EDIT 2 : i had to do the same for preview :

sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/preview

But (again) :

preview .
LOADING PLUGINS:
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iPhoto.so
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iText.so
Using Plugin:iFolder
Creating iFolder...
Loading Folder Cover: ./cover.jpg
zsh: segmentation fault preview .

June 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
I get the same.

Hells_Dark
June 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
It's a chmod problem.
Just enter something like

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/gloobus/*

;)

hotweiss
June 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
It's a chmod problem.

;)

hmmm, that might solve another problem that I was having...

hotweiss
June 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
It's a chmod problem.

;)

This actually didn't work. Even when I used gksudo nautilus, I did not get an option to give myself permission.

I also got this error when running it as root:

LOADING PLUGINS:
FILE: .//--
FileType: application/octet-stream
This filetype has no preview function
FILE: .//bin
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Desktop
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Documents
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Dogville
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Downloads
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Music
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Pictures
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Projects
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Templates
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Videos
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Warcraft III
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//..
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//openSUSE-11.0-RC1-GNOME-LiveCD-i386-iso
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//openSUSE-11.0-RC1-KDE4-LiveCD-i386-iso
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//ies4linux-2.99.0.1
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gstreamer-0.10
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gimp-2.4
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.adobe
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.bash_history
FileType: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.bash_logout
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.bashrc_vanilla
Creating iText...
FILE: .//dsdt.bin
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.cache
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.checkgmail
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.config
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//dsdt.dat
FILE: .//.dbus
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.dmrc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.dvdcss
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.emerald
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.esd_auth
FILE: .//GarminKey_Parser.exe
FileType: application/x-dosexec\012- application/octet-stream\012- application/octet-stream
FILE: .//Keygen v1.3.exe
FileType: application/x-dosexec\012- application/octet-stream\012- application/octet-stream
FILE: .//.fontconfig
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gconf
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gconfd
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gnome
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gnome2
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gnome2_private
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gnupg
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gvfs
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
what(): basic_string::_S_construct NULL not valid
Aborted

Islington
June 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
how do I create the nautilus scripts? I installed nautilus action and launched nautilus-actions-config. I added the 2 commands and gave them a name and such. Now what?

hotweiss
June 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
how do I create the nautilus scripts? I installed nautilus action and launched nautilus-actions-config. I added the 2 commands and gave them a name and such. Now what?

you can just type gksudo nautilus in terminal

Islington
June 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I did that. I see no different options being present..

hotweiss
June 23rd, 2008, 11:46 PM
I did that. I see no different options being present..

You won't find any new options, you will just be able to perform that options that you did not have permission to perform before. What options are you looking for?

Islington
June 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM
doesnt seem to work for me...

islington@Theta:~$ gloobus %d /home/islington/Pictures/sticker.png
LOADING PLUGINS:
FILE: .//compiz-git
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Games
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Programs
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gtkrc-2.0-kde
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.ardour2
Creating iFolder...
Creating iText...
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.bashrc
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.xscreensaver-getimage.cache
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.comix
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.compiz-git
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fonts.conf
FileType: text/xml
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.cvspass
FileType: application/x-empty
Creating iFolder...
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.e
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.e17_cvs
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.easytag
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.elisa
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.face
FileType: image/png
FILE: .//.FBReader
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fr-nqQyKi
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fr-sdo4ip
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gtk-bookmarks
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.gtk_qt_engine_rc
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//compiz-git-newest.tar.gz
FileType: application/x-gzip
FILE: .//.ICEauthority
FILE: .//.icons
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.inkscape
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.jackdrc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.java
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.kderc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.local
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gksu.lock
FILE: .//.macromedia
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mcop
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mcoprc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.metacity
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.miro
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mozilla
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.nautilus
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.openoffice.org2
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.prism
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.profile
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.pulse
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.pulse-cookie
FILE: .//.purple
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.qemu_history
FILE: .//.qt
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.recently-used
FILE: .//.registry
FILE: .//.screenlets
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.songbird1
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.songbird2
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.ssh
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.subversion
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.sudo_as_admin_successful
FILE: .//.synaptic
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.themes
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.thumbnails
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.transmission
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.update-manager-core
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.update-notifier
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.usp
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.VirtualBox
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wallpapoz
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wapi
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wine
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.Xauthority
FileType: video/unknown
FILE: .//.recently-used.xbel
FILE: .//.xine
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.xsession-errors
FileType: text/x-pascal; charset=us-ascii
Thread
Loading Folder Cover: .//compiz-git/cover.jpg
Segmentation fault

Aghosh993
June 24th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I know, I did exactly the steps outlined in his README file, including getting all the dependencies, which is why I'm puzzled by this error message.
Anyone here have an idea about the libMagick10.so file and what exactly it does?
Thx,
Aghosh993

hotweiss
June 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
doesnt seem to work for me...

islington@Theta:~$ gloobus %d /home/islington/Pictures/sticker.png
LOADING PLUGINS:
FILE: .//compiz-git
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Games
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//Programs
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gtkrc-2.0-kde
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.ardour2
Creating iFolder...
Creating iText...
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.bashrc
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.xscreensaver-getimage.cache
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.comix
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.compiz-git
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fonts.conf
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.cvspass
Creating iFolder...
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.e
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.e17_cvs
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.easytag
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.elisa
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.face
FileType: image/png
FILE: .//.FBReader
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fr-nqQyKi
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.fr-sdo4ip
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gtk-bookmarks
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.gtk_qt_engine_rc
Creating iText...
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//compiz-git-newest.tar.gz
FileType: application/x-gzip
FILE: .//.ICEauthority
FILE: .//.icons
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.inkscape
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.jackdrc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.java
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.kderc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.local
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.gksu.lock
FILE: .//.macromedia
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mcop
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mcoprc
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.metacity
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.miro
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.mozilla
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.nautilus
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.openoffice.org2
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.prism
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.profile
Creating iText...
FILE: .//.pulse
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.pulse-cookie
FILE: .//.purple
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.qemu_history
FILE: .//.qt
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.recently-used
FILE: .//.registry
FILE: .//.screenlets
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.songbird1
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.songbird2
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.ssh
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.subversion
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.sudo_as_admin_successful
FILE: .//.synaptic
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.themes
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.thumbnails
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.transmission
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.update-manager-core
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.update-notifier
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.usp
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.VirtualBox
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wallpapoz
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wapi
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.wine
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.Xauthority
FileType: video/unknown
FILE: .//.recently-used.xbel
FILE: .//.xine
Creating iFolder...
FILE: .//.xsession-errors
FileType: text/x-pascal; charset=us-ascii
Thread
Loading Folder Cover: .//compiz-git/cover.jpg
Segmentation fault

Same error for me...

pt123
June 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I don't think gloobus does PNG files ATM.

davim
June 25th, 2008, 08:32 AM
any news on the nautilus integration??

badchoice
June 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hey! that i think that the segmentation fault is because it can't load the nofolder.jpg

is the file nofolder.jpg in /usr/share/gloobus ??

if it is, run

sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/share/gloobus/

And try again! :)

About nautilus integrations, there are still no news...

teolemon
June 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
For those who didn't follow the discussion, the question was asked by BadChoice, and he got the following answer: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/2008-June/msg00064.html

TheAL76
June 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
This looks really great...I can't wait to go home and try it.

teolemon
June 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
More links :
http://www.linux.com/articles/114134?page=3 >> A tutorial on extending Nautilus
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/nautilus/nautilus-internals.pdf >> An official documentation

prismpirate
June 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone know what the readme means when it says

3. With Nautilus-actions create two scripts
coverflow: gloobus %d/
preview : preview %d/%f

I have no idea whatsoever on what to do at this step.

June 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
The Nautilus-actions extension enables you to add customized entries to the context menu such that, when you right-click a file, the context menu will show options specific to that file.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-actionsThen System > Preferences > Nautilus Actions Configuration

And just add the lines mentioned in the readme.

I forgot to add the description was cut from this article http://www.linux.com/feature/119603

badchoice
June 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hey!! new version is out! 0.024

Its a very must one version!! it implements a lot of new things such multislide, png support, gloobus window rezisable and improvements!

Remember, donations: http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/0b88c464e8dfbcce

Choad
June 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
hmm it's kinda cool, but how come you can't traverse the filesystem? imo up should go in to the directory and down should move you "up" one directory (not that that makes much sense written like that but you know what i mean lol)

Le-Froid
June 26th, 2008, 11:12 PM
hmm it's kinda cool, but how come you can't traverse the filesystem? imo up should go in to the directory and down should move you "up" one directory (not that that makes much sense written like that but you know what i mean lol)

/agree, extremely useful imo

By the way, gloobus is starting to work better/faster on my system with each release, thanks :)

Choad
June 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
oh and also use the gtk theme icons too! you'd stand a much better chance of it being added to nautilus if it conformed to the look and feel of the system.

zekopeko
June 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
could we get the preview window with out border like it used to be? or are you just experimenting with it?

i agree with choad. it would be cool to have default icons.

badchoice
June 27th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yes, I added it to see what you like more, now I'm doing a config file so you can choose you preferences there, I like it more without the border but some people asked me to add it so I'll put the two possibilites.

MadsRH
June 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
This is a great project! :)

Will this be stable and ready for 8.10, and will it be included by default?

//MadsRH

zombiepig
June 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
badchoice,

I'm eager to give gloobus a try, but i'm running into a couple of problems:

- If I download the compiled snapshots, I can install, but always get a "error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" when I try to launch. I think this may be because I'm using a 64 bit...
- If I download the sources, I can't work out the correct method to compile them. It seems I can run 'make' in each subdirectory of the project (but this fails on the plugins). Is there a proper way to compile the whole project yet?

Hope you can help!

spg76
June 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, I added it to see what you like more, now I'm doing a config file so you can choose you preferences there, I like it more without the border but some people asked me to add it so I'll put the two possibilites.

I like it more with the border, that way you can move the preview window. It's great that you add the two options, so the user can choose.
It possible to add more options, like view in full screen, open with..., add to F-Spot, etc.? You know, like in Quick Look (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quicklook.html).
Anyway, Great work!

Hells_Dark
June 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I like it more with the border, that way you can move the preview window.
Use alt

But i agree, it's better with the choice.

pt123
June 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
0.24 is a great update, so much faster and smoother.

I also like how it doesn't try and grab previews of all the images in a folder, this really helps large folders.

Still not sure why CPU usage for it is around 95%, but other programs are able to function without hinderance.

There seems to be a bug for wide images. The thumbnails for them seem to be a much lower quality. Attached a screenshot.

Thanks

tretle
June 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
An irc channel should be started, this way developers will be more likely to help out and users can get help faster.

badchoice
June 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Choad: it's a good idea! I would like to integrate it with nautilus but I get no response from them... anyway I can implement this two functions (DOWN to enter a directory, UP to go to parent directory).
There will be a good option to add enter key to launch the default program but I don't know how to do it.

Abut the gtk theme icons, its a good idea, I would like to do that if a file has no preview, it just loads the icon from theme.. but I still don't know how to do it :D

MadsRH: I don't think it will be included by default, anyway there is still a lot of work to do for this to be totaly functinally and without bugs... but, I would like to see it on the main ubuntu version :D

zombiepig: There is still not a complete makefile so you have to compile each one, just gloobus, preview and the plugins. What errors do the plugins compilation gives to you?

spg76: I'll add the option to show or not the border in the config file, now in the version 0.023 (last update) there is a config file for gloobus you can change some values like angles, speed, size of the window, front view angle...

pt123: You're right, There is a problem with the wide images cause I scale down all the photos to use less memory, but the wide ones are scaled more than what they can...

tretle: Feel free to star the chanel, I don't know how it works, do I only have to joint to #gloobus?

zekopeko
June 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
could you scale the images less? they look really fuzzy for me.
also what is up with the insane CPU usage? you said something about a main() loop using all the processor it can so i was wondering if you'll fix this soon.

pt123
June 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Choad: it's a good idea! I would like to integrate it with nautilus but I get no response from them... anyway I can implement this two functions (DOWN to enter a directory, UP to go to parent directory).
There will be a good option to add enter key to launch the default program but I don't know how to do it.
That would be awesome.

version 0.023 (last update) there is a config file for gloobus you can change some values like angles, speed, size of the window, front view angle...

Would it be possible if the config file was in the users home directory ~/.gloobus/config file ?

zekopeko
June 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM
That would be awesome.

Would it be possible if the config file was in the users home directory ~/.gloobus/config file ?

~/.config/gloobus

is freedesktop standard so we should use it

badchoice
June 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, you're right! I'll do it ;)

b3n87
June 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi guys, just had a play with this and it looks awesome.

I get 99% on both processors tho but i think your already aware of that.

btw if anyone is reading this and wants to install it you need these dependencies

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libmagick++9-dev libmagic-dev libtag1-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev

zombiepig
June 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
badchoice, I got gloobus compiled and it's looking really nice :)

I've got a couple of suggestions/thoughts to throw your way, they may be useful or I might be way off track :P

Firstly, IMO it'd make sense to spilt gloobus off into two projects - one which handles the preview function, the other which handles the cover flow function.

Then, the cover flow project could be modified to use the freedesktop thumbnail spec (http://people.freedesktop.org/~vuntz/thumbnail-spec-cache/). This is the same spec nautilus uses for it's thumbnailing. Following this would mean files thumbnailed in gloobus would have a thumbnail available immediately in nautilus, and vice versa. It'd also save a bunch of work re-creating thumbnailers that other applications already have available.
For example, installing Comix installs a thumbnailer for all cbr/cbz comic book files. This would instantly give gloobus a method for thumbnailing these file types, with no extra work :) Or, installing the openoffice thumbnailer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76566) would give gloobus thumbnails for all open office documents!

Unfortunately, I don't think the same kind of approach could work for the quick preview function, because the fdo 'large' thumbnails are only 256x256 pixels. That's why I suggested splitting the project into two components. So the focus for the cover flow would be on the graphic effects for navigating through the thumbnails, and the focus on the preview app would be fast, higher-resolution previews.

What do you think?

badchoice
June 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM
zombiepig: Thanks for your comment, I have to say that now the project is split in two parts, as you said, is not the same how you preview a file and how it looks on coverflow.

Gloobus(Coverflow) and Preview now uses plugins and each plugin can implement his own method for gloobus and for preview, so it will be very easy to modify them for use the thumbnails created by nautilus.

I'll take a look at it and see if I can modify the iPhoto plugin to use it, but I don't know if the thumbnail size will be good for the coverflow because now it can be resized to fullscreen and the picture will look very bad...

Anyway, It can store the previews in the nautilus thumnails folder.

See you!

aantn
July 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is there any chance that you can include a makefile or at least some instructions for compiling?

The install script doesn't work with the current revision on bzr (you renamed the folders and forgot to change them in the script) and the tarballs contain i386 binaries.

I know that make can be a pain and coding is a lot more exciting, but you really need to fix things like this if you want to attract other developers.

zekopeko
July 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
any progress?

teolemon
July 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I've filed a bug in Gnome's bugzilla about a "View as Coverflow" mode, asking for help on Nautilus integration, and I sent as well a mail to Christian Neumair.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542752

Badchoice:
I've found the Nautilus-extension thingie that was talked about on nautilus-list:
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/nautilus/trunk/libnautilus-extension/

By the way, be sure to check the research I've done on the blueprint @
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/gloobus/+spec/nautilus-integration

Note that you can also develop Gloobus by branching the source code in Launchpad if you know how to code

badchoice
July 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hey! thanks for the researched, I readed about it, the main problem I have is that i need to integrate a GL windows in nautilus... anyway these days I've been busy with other things and I didn't do much work, now I ready again and with a friend of mine that will help me in developing it.

By the way there is the new link for donations:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=guitarboy000%40gmail%2ecom&item_name=Gloobus%2c%20A%20Quicklook%20for%20linux&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

I'll inform you about the new progress!

zekopeko
July 14th, 2008, 12:11 AM
ok not to undermine the effort here... but how about rewriting gloobus in clutter?
now i'm far from an openGL expert but clutter is the new red :D
macslow is using it for the openGL GDM face browser and stuff. now the main point is that clutter offers/will offer? gtk+ widgets (i'm guessing those are what you need to embed it in nautilus?). and apparently is super easy to work with. and it just might be in GTK+ 3 and GNOME 3 so we can get some fancy app effects in gtk+ programs.

dracule
July 14th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I would prefer it if we could have an option for non-coverflow. like just a normal file browser, but when you hover your mouse it gives you a nice large preview.

coverflow for large number of documents would be hard.

badchoice
July 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hey I looked this clutter and It seems really good, I'll take a closer look and see if it can do what I want, I hope it Can, I'll start with preview and if everything is fine, then I'll port gloobus.

Thanks.

Btw, you can preview the files without coverflow, just use nautilus-actions to add the " preview <file>"

teolemon
July 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM
From the research I've done:
Clutter would be more GNOME-ish but the main problem won't lie there (see C.Neumair's response on the bug): it seems that Nautilus integration is not just making it a Nautilus widget. It's also about stacking it and coordinating it with the rest of Nautilus.
my guess would be to have a look at how icon and list view are done and try to modify the code.
For stacking , I'd say use code made to draw either the toolbar or the sidebar , change the size and stack the Gloobus widget into it. But that must be a dirty solution, and I'm not even sure it is feasible.

@badchoice:
You may want to contact rainwoodman . He's not working on Nautilus, but he has learned a great deal by working on Gnomenu (Gnome Global's menu, a Mac-like menubar).
He's also really busy, but he's also a fan of the document centric approach.

kinap
July 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
can you please make a binary release (or anyone else) for ubuntu hardy 64bit
some plugins i can compile but some not.

as i can't seem to get the ffmpeg sources anymore

sudo apt-get install libavcodec-dev libpostproc-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libavcodec-dev: Depends: libavcodec1d (= 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7) but 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7+medibuntu1 is to be installed
Depends: libavutil-dev (= 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7) but it is not going to be installed
libpostproc-dev: Depends: libpostproc1d (= 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7) but 3:0.cvs20070307-5ubuntu7+medibuntu1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Felix

btw it works great on my 32 bit hardy

Felix

badchoice
July 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
From now you don't need the ffmpeg packages cause I haven't coded the iMovie plugins, so you can skip this part!

If you can compile it on your 64bits box, can you send me the binaries? I'll upload them with the 32bits version on launchpad!

Thanks!

kahlil88
July 15th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome! Let's hope you don't get sued for patent infringement. I sure hate software patents (http://www.endsoftpatents.org).

ryanhaigh
July 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Im VERY happy to report that gloobus 0.024 works perfectly on Gutsy with only a very minor modification to the installation process. For gutsy the libMagick++10 package is not available with the closest available version being libmagick++9c2a so you need to change the dependancy installation from this

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl1.2debian libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libsdl-image1.2 libmagick++10 libmagic1 libtag1c2a libavcodec1d libavformat1d libswscale1d libsdl-gfx1.2-4

To this

sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl1.2debian libsdl-ttf2.0-0 libsdl-image1.2 libmagick++9c2a libmagic1 libtag1c2a libavcodec1d libavformat1d libswscale1d libsdl-gfx1.2-4

Once those packages are finished installing create a symbolic link to the .9 library from the .10 file that gloobus/preview look for

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.9 /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.10

Proceed with the rest of the installation as normal and you have working (much better than in a VM) gloobus and preview.

Prefix100
July 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
This is so awesome.

It would be nicer if it was integrated though.

Great Job!

badchoice
July 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for you report! as soon as I get home I'll include the modifications on the installation for gutsy!!

I'v marked as solved the other thread so now this is the good one!

Thank you so much!

ryanhaigh
July 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Just tried using the app with my music collection and its great! I use list view in nautilus and so the audio preview (by holding the mouse over the icon) isn't available to me but this makes it a lot easier to find the track I am looking for when I don't know the name of the track. A couple of ideas occurred to me whilst using this feature:

Up/Down keys scroll through documents in preview can these keys be used to skip ahead in songs/movies?

Most of my music doesn't have embedded cover art (half of it isn't even tagged well), I thought rather than use a static and identical icon for all tracks you might be able to create/read thumbnails created by this application: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4477668

badchoice
July 25th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Coses,
Its a good idea that left-right keys loads next file in preview (for photos
For the files without cover i use the cover.jpg file that is in the same folder, so this way you can have a folder with all albums each one with its cover.

By the way, I don't think that add a extern software preview funcion is the best way cause there are users that don't have or don't want it... but if its a very requested feature I can try to add it.

Thank for you comment and idea.

cozmicharlie
July 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I can't seem to get this working. I have the entry for coverflow and preview when I right click. However, nothing happens when I select them. I tried running gloobus in terminal ($ sudo gloobus) and I get an error that reads

"gloobus: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

The . symbolic link /usr/liblibsdl_image-1.2.so and the shared library /usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.1.5 are installed. For some reason Gloobus is not recognizing it - probably something to do with permissions but I beleive I changed them as recommended in the thread so I am at a loss.

Thanks for the help.

adamogardner
July 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
cosmikcharlie. how do you do?....

ryanhaigh
July 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
It seems as though the files you have installed and the file gloobus is looking for are different, note the end of the filenames:

"gloobus: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

The . symbolic link /usr/liblibsdl_image-1.2.so and the shared library /usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.1.5 are installed.

According to ubuntu package search (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=libSDL_image-1.2.so.0&mode=exactfilename&suite=hardy&arch=any) the package you need to install is apt://libsdl-image1.2

cozmicharlie
July 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
It seems as though the files you have installed and the file gloobus is looking for are different, note the end of the filenames:

According to ubuntu package search (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=libSDL_image-1.2.so.0&mode=exactfilename&suite=hardy&arch=any) the package you need to install is apt://libsdl-image1.2

When I click on the link you provided (apt://libsdl-image1.2"]apt://libsdl-image1.2) - it says "package already installed".

When I check the files (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/amd64/libsdl-image1.2/filelist) - this is what they list. These are the same as what I have isntalled on my system.
/usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
/usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.1.5
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-image1.2/README
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-image1.2/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-image1.2/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/libsdl-image1.2/copyright

The version I installed from Synaptic is listed as 1.2.6-3 hardy.

Not sure what else I can do. Looks like the right version is installed.

I appreciate your help.

teolemon
July 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.cooliris.com/
Just wanted to share this, and though inspiration could be taken from it.

artir
July 26th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Nice project!

However, I cannot see my album covers, just the generic icon AND I can't see the .ogg files (90% of my music is .ogg) You can use some kind of fetching system like rhytmbox or just get the pictures from the rhytmbox folder.
And the ogg support should be easy to implement too.

ryanhaigh
July 27th, 2008, 03:15 AM
cozmicharlie does the error still occur if you start the program as root?

sudo gloobus ~/

cozmicharlie
July 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
cozmicharlie does the error still occur if you start the program as root?

sudo gloobus ~/

Yes - I get the same error. I loaded it onto another computer I have and got it to work. The one it does not work on is an HP AMD64 laptop - if that matters.

Also, FYI the install scripts comes back with error messages that their is no folder plugins" or "data. It did create the etc/gloobus folder but neither the plugin or data folder was created. I have to manually create the folders and move the files to them and change the permissions on all the binaries etc as per the thread. I believe the script should do that - is that correct?

badchoice
July 28th, 2008, 08:15 AM
cozmicharlie:

To run gloobus you must execute the install script as root, anyway, you can do it manually so create
/usr/share/gloobus
/urs/share/gloobus/plugins

copy the files inside DATA folder on /usr/share/gloobus
and copy de plugins *.so into /usr/share/gloobus/plugins

this is all the files it needs to run, if it shows errors of dependeces install all libraries that readme says, if you use gusty, use the ryanhaigh trick in a previous post.

If you still have problems...

__________________________________________________ ______
artir: For ogg files I think I can add it easyli, so please, create a bug into launchpad, so this way I won't forget!!

Thanks and remember:
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=guitarboy000%40gmail%2ecom&item_name=Gloobus%2c%20A%20Quicklook%20for%20linux&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

teolemon
July 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Bug reported for Ogg + another one about the 0.24 announcement

cozmicharlie
July 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
cozmicharlie:

To run gloobus you must execute the install script as root, anyway, you can do it manually so create
/usr/share/gloobus
/urs/share/gloobus/plugins

copy the files inside DATA folder on /usr/share/gloobus
and copy de plugins *.so into /usr/share/gloobus/plugins

this is all the files it needs to run, if it shows errors of dependeces install all libraries that readme says, if you use gusty, use the ryanhaigh trick in a previous post.

If you still have problems...

__________________________________________________ ______
artir: For ogg files I think I can add it easyli, so please, create a bug into launchpad, so this way I won't forget!!

Thanks and remember:
Donate: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=guitarboy000%40gmail%2ecom&item_name=Gloobus%2c%20A%20Quicklook%20for%20linux&no_shipping=0&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR&lc=US&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF&charset=UTF%2d8

I did run the script as root. I will submit a bug report. I was not sure if this was just something I was doing wrong or if others have the same experience (I guess that is what a bug report is for).

Thanks for your help

badchoice
July 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
What error do you have when running gloobus from console?

badchoice
July 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know hot to launch the default application in c++ i want to add that pressing the enter key, the file is opened with the default application.

However I'll serach throught the web and hope I find out how to do it!

During the next three weeks I've holidays so there won't be so much code update for the project. But I'll be reading this post and launchpad so you can keep contacting me!

See you!
Tahnks!

cozmicharlie
July 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM
What error do you have when running gloobus from console?

Not sure if you meant this fore me or not. If not then ignore this.

This is the error.

And as mentioned I have the correctly package installed.

badchoice
July 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM
I've started a blog where I'll be posting news questions and other things...

spg76
July 31st, 2008, 04:32 PM
I've started a blog where I'll be posting news questions and other things...

Great idea.
I'd read your request for a scrollbar and if I can I'll send you one later.
Keep up the good work!

EnGorDiaz
August 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
guys why dont you just make a gloobus compiz fusion plug in?

im using it its great

compiz fusion plus nautilus plus gloobus = epic win

teolemon
August 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
That just doesn't make sense as it is supposed to be tightly integrated into Nautilus. It sure helps for the keystrokes though.

EnGorDiaz
August 4th, 2008, 03:06 AM
That just doesn't make sense as it is supposed to be tightly integrated into Nautilus. It sure helps for the keystrokes though.

well thats what i mean :P

tretle
August 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://macslow.thepimp.net/?p=153

EnGorDiaz
August 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM
im not downgrading gtk i have to much software that runs gtk 2.0

badchoice
August 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hey! I've done a lot of work these days, In a few I'll update it into launchpad and explain it into the blog:

http://gloobus.wordpress.com

I've been looking into macslow post and I think that is a really good idea to joint gloobus into gtkext and cairo, I'll try to implement preview with it and if everything is ok, then I'll port gloobus itself!

Thanks!

badchoice
August 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hey!! Version 0.025 is out! there are some new features and bugs fixed:
you can download it from here:

· New transition efect, now it uses x² functions instead of sqrt(x)
· Arrows in gloobus
· Pre scrollbar, you can navigate pressing a space between arrows
· Preview Fullscreen, you can use F key or just use the icon below
· Ogg music files support
· preview binary on /usr/share/gloobus
· Fixed the changetime bug

Please, take a look at my blog:

http://gloobus.wordpress.com

and remember that you can donate to keep this project going on!

pikabuntu
August 5th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Gloobus looked really cool, but I am having trouble getting it working. When I choose "preview" nothing happens, and when I choose "coverflow" a black bar flashes on the screen and disappears...
What can I do to fix this?

badchoice
August 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
pikabuntu:
Launch it from console and send me the output

for preview in version 0.025:
/usr/share/gloobus/preview <yourfile>

and for gloobus

gloobus on the directory you want ;)

pikabuntu
August 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
zach@zach-desktop:~$ /usr/share/gloobus/preview /home/zach/Pictures/trustme.jpg
LOADING PLUGINS:
Error loading Plugin: libMagick++.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

badchoice
August 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well, you don't have the library, use the instructions on readme file to install, in the new version there are different dependences for gusty and for hardy, maybe this is the problem..

Toshibawarrior
August 6th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ok, call me stupid, but I REALLY NEED HELP!...

I downloaded the newest version from launchpad, I read the README and installed the dependencies...but when I run the "install.sh" in terminal it just says...

ivan@PulgaMovil:~$ gksudo '/home/ivan/Desktop/RELEASE/install.sh'

** (gksudo:8157): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
/home/ivan/.themes/Mac4Lin_GTK_v0.4/gtk-2.0/Buttons/button-default.png,
borders don't fit within the image

Installing Gloobus

Directory exists
Copying plugins
Copying Data
Copying Binaries

Installation OK
cp: cannot stat `./DATA/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `preview': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `gloobus': No such file or directory
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSivan@ PulgaMovil:~$

So how do i install this bloody cool program?...I really want to take it for a spin, but it always returns the same error...

I really don't know much about CLI, so if anyone can please help me and guide me through the process I'll be very grateful...

I did made the "scripts" on Nautilus-Actions but they don't even appear on context menus, and if I run:

sudo gloobus

nothing happens...

So please help me! I really don;t know how to do this!

ryanhaigh
August 7th, 2008, 12:50 AM
cd /home/ivan/Desktop/RELEASE/
sudo ./install.sh

That should help. When a program looks for something like ./DATA it is looking for DATA in the current directory (./) so changing to the directory should sort it out for you.

badchoice: perhaps a revision to the instructions for this issue?

Toshibawarrior
August 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM
THANKS A WHOLE LOT ryanhaigh!!...

It worked beautifully, although it gave me this output...

ivan@PulgaMovil:~$ cd /home/ivan/Desktop/RELEASE/
ivan@PulgaMovil:~/Desktop/RELEASE$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for ivan:

Installing Gloobus

Directory exists
Copying plugins
Copying Data
Copying Binaries

Installation OK
ivan@PulgaMovil:~/Desktop/RELEASE$

Will it work anyway?...

Thanks again! And great work btw badchoice! Keep it up!

Edit: IT WORKED! IT FINALLY WORKED!!!...Although that output on the terminal made me think...anyways, you guys will let me know ;).

Thanks a lot to all the helpful people here on this awesome thread of this awesome forum :p!!!

badchoice
August 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hey, yes, with preview error will work without problem, I changed the location of the binary preview since the people of getdeb asked it to me to create the deb package, I forget to update the script ;)

I'll add these instructions into the readme

EnGorDiaz
August 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
zach@zach-desktop:~$ /usr/share/gloobus/preview /home/zach/Pictures/trustme.jpg
LOADING PLUGINS:

you have to install libmagick10

EnGorDiaz
August 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM
THANKS A WHOLE LOT ryanhaigh!!...

It worked beautifully, although it gave me this output...

ivan@PulgaMovil:~$ cd /home/ivan/Desktop/RELEASE/
ivan@PulgaMovil:~/Desktop/RELEASE$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for ivan:

Installing Gloobus

Directory exists
Copying plugins
Copying Data
Copying Binaries

Installation OK
ivan@PulgaMovil:~/Desktop/RELEASE$

Will it work anyway?...

Thanks again! And great work btw badchoice! Keep it up!

Edit: IT WORKED! IT FINALLY WORKED!!!...Although that output on the terminal made me think...anyways, you guys will let me know ;).

Thanks a lot to all the helpful people here on this awesome thread of this awesome forum :p!!!

i got it to work by changing nautilus actions to

/usr/share/gloobus/preview for preview in the path read the readme file

EnGorDiaz
August 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ok, call me stupid, but I REALLY NEED HELP!...

I downloaded the newest version from launchpad, I read the README and installed the dependencies...but when I run the "install.sh" in terminal it just says...

ivan@PulgaMovil:~$ gksudo '/home/ivan/Desktop/RELEASE/install.sh'

** (gksudo:8157): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
/home/ivan/.themes/Mac4Lin_GTK_v0.4/gtk-2.0/Buttons/button-default.png,
borders don't fit within the image

Installing Gloobus

Directory exists
Copying plugins
Copying Data
Copying Binaries

Installation OK
cp: cannot stat `./DATA/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `gloobus': No such file or directory
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSivan@ PulgaMovil:~$

So how do i install this bloody cool program?...I really want to take it for a spin, but it always returns the same error...

I really don't know much about CLI, so if anyone can please help me and guide me through the process I'll be very grateful...

I did made the "scripts" on Nautilus-Actions but they don't even appear on context menus, and if I run:

sudo gloobus

nothing happens...

So please help me! I really don;t know how to do this!

thats quite a bad error... especialy with the borders hmmm you havent editted your gtkrc file have you? i did that and broke my old ubuntu

Toshibawarrior
August 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I got gloobus to work. The error it says about the borders, is because of mac4lin...since I used it for changing my Ubuntu-looks it gives me that error...I don't even know what gtkrc is...lol...!:)

stani
August 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Hi,
I just discovered this and it looks really cool. For using the native icons you can probably use bitmaps with gtk:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.11/gtk-Stock-Items.html

That's what I did with my application Phatch (http://photobatch.stani.be). Also I would really love to have mousewheel scroll support to flip through images.

Good luck!
Stani

pt123
August 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Anyone else having problems with GPU temperatures going extrememly high with 0.025.
My monitor kept powering off. The Nvidia applet showed the temp reaching 70C. Soon as I killed Gloobus the temp went down.
6600GT Card

Exsecrabilus
August 9th, 2008, 01:35 PM
WTF?: http://getdeb.net/app/Gloobus

August 9th, 2008, 03:43 PM
WTF?: http://getdeb.net/app/Gloobus

And???

saratchandra
August 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I installed it and launched gloobus, but how do I get it to work? Are there any short cuts or nautilus addons?

Vadi
August 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
It looks like Gloobus is working and benchmarking your system. It's attempting to render as fast as it can (hence the overheat a guy had).

DJ_Peng
August 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
It looks pretty promising, but I'm getting massive lag from it. I'm having almost no chance to use my mouse to go back and forth through the files, although my arrow keys work pretty quickly. Also, is there a way to close a preview once it gets opened? I think I did something to kill the preview but it took so long to actually close I have no clue what I did.

I ran Gloobus on a directory with one subdirectory and 10 pics in the Terminal and this is what I got.

peng@IceBox-Hardy:~$ gloobus /home/peng/Pictures/Fly\ pix/
COVER ANGLE: 70
LOADING PLUGINS:
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iPng.so
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Andante
Creating iFolder...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Me and Mom.bmp
FileType: image/x-ms-bmp
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Hilary 5.jpg
FileType: image/jpeg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//km&sg2.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//km&sg.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Me and Mom.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//SG and Hilary.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//sg.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//TheNeighborhood.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//theodrek1.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
FILE: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//theodrek.jpg
Creating iPhoto...
Thread
Loading Folder Cover: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Andante/cover.jpg
Loading no Folder Cover: nofolder.png
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Hilary 5.jpg
Scaling Image (0.937500):320x213--> 300x199
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//km&sg2.jpg
Initializing iFolder (Load Texture)
Initializing iPhoto (Load texture)
Scaling Image (0.497664):428x600--> 213x300
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//km&sg.jpg
Scaling Image (0.434077):493x691--> 214x300
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//Me and Mom.jpg
Scaling Image (0.949206):315x240--> 299x228
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//SG and Hilary.jpg
Scaling Image (0.468750):640x426--> 300x199
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//sg.jpg
Scaling Image (0.500000):600x400--> 300x200
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//TheNeighborhood.jpg
Scaling Image (0.498728):393x600--> 196x299
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//theodrek1.jpg
Scaling Image (0.397129):418x750--> 166x300
Loading Photo: /home/peng/Pictures/Fly pix//theodrek.jpg
Scaling Image (0.166111):1800x1200--> 299x199
END Thread
Right Arrow Pressed
Ending iFolder
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
Ending iPhoto
What isn't shown is that trying to drag the mouse back and forth did nothing for several seconds (I'm guessing 10-20, maybe longer) and when I finally ended the test and hit "q" it took another 5-10 seconds to close. And that's with a folder of a mere 11 items. On a more populated directory it just gets worse.

Also, I'm finding that if I get into full screen mode (I wasn't aware that's what that button was in the preview the first time or two) I end up having to kill the X session with a three finger salute to be able to get at any other windows. Not even Alt-Tab or Super-Tab seems to work while in a Gloobus full screen.My system specs, courtesy Ubuntu Tweak:

Distro: Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktop Env: GNOME 2.22.3 (Ubuntu 2008-07-09)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic
Platform: i386
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz
Memory: 748 MB

My video card is an Nvidia GeForce2 MX 100/200 using the 96.43.05 driver (from NVIDIA X Server Settings).

EnGorDiaz
August 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
hwy badchoices i am just wondering what the next features will be in 0.26

EnGorDiaz
August 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I got gloobus to work. The error it says about the borders, is because of mac4lin...since I used it for changing my Ubuntu-looks it gives me that error...I don't even know what gtkrc is...lol...!:)

hmmm do you have global menu cus the only way you can get error is through gtkrc search it up

conundrumx
August 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM

There's your problem! :p

DJ_Peng
August 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Damn. I guess I have to move a RAM upgrade higher on the priority list. :( Thanks for the info.

August 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Damn. I guess I have to move a RAM upgrade higher on the priority list. :( Thanks for the info.

Good news is that RAM is cheap.
I can get a GB for ~$30 - $40.

teolemon
August 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Here's a quick howto for Ubuntu 8.04
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/gloobus/+question/42044

DJ_Peng
August 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Good news is that RAM is cheap.
I can get a GB for ~$30 - $40.
Unfortunately, being disabled, I'm on a fixed income. $40 is a week's income for me, plus I have an older comp so memory isn't as easy to get as going down to my local big box. But it's a little higher on my list of things to spend money on. :)

teolemon
August 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Using Ubuntu-Tweak, you can easily assign keybinding. Avoid using space, because anytime you want to use space (even when not in Nautilus), il will invoke Gloobus.
Good choices are ² or Arret Defil or Pause-Attn

Plus, Gloobus behaves weirdly on Hardy x64 and even more weirdly with Recordmydesktop.

gilir
August 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi,

After some hours fighting against the source code and others packages, gloobus finally work on my 64 bits system :) And it's like the demo : very nice :)

I needed to patch some files to manage this, it's available on my branch of gloobus : https://code.launchpad.net/~gilir/gloobus/gloobus-debian

I'm also working on a debian packaging, which is working but need some clean up. Available soon.

I'll also try to add a proper build system, so it'll be easier to build it.

pikabuntu
August 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Well, you don't have the library, use the instructions on readme file to install, in the new version there are different dependences for gusty and for hardy, maybe this is the problem..
OK, I've got it going now !
Its pretty cool!

badchoice
August 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hey guys!
These days I'm on my holidays trip, so this is why I haven't said anything!
I'll be back on 26th august, ready to keep developing new features and solving those annoying bugs!

ryanhaigh
August 19th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Just read something interesting over at Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnome_224_highlights&num=1). Apparently nautilus now supports keybindings for extensions.

Polygon
August 19th, 2008, 05:46 AM
wait, at the above post, this program doesn't work for someone who has 768mb of ram? uhhhh......

zekopeko
August 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
i think the problem is that badchoice still hasn't optimized gloobus. it still tries to load ALL the pictures in memory even if you are just viewing only ten. btw a folder with 1000 pics eats my 2GB RAM in seconds.

DJ_Peng
August 20th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Just read something interesting over at Phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnome_224_highlights&num=1). Apparently nautilus now supports keybindings for extensions.
That's great news. It means more work for programmers (like badchoice) but it's definitely a win for users.

wait, at the above post, this program doesn't work for someone who has 768mb of ram? uhhhh......
Yeah. But ...

i think the problem is that badchoice still hasn't optimized gloobus. it still tries to load ALL the pictures in memory even if you are just viewing only ten. btw a folder with 1000 pics eats my 2GB RAM in seconds.
This is good to know. (Being unoptimized, not that Gloobus has a more voracious appetite than even SecondLife.) I look forward to updates that will work better on my comp. It's news like this that make me glad I subscribe to so many threads. If I had unsubscribed from this thread I would have completely missed this good news.

graabein
August 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Looks very nice from the screenshots. The Globus QuickLook name made me think of Google Earth and Outlook so that could probably change to something better, more coverflow like :)

Anyways, good luck with this project!

shakaran
August 20th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wow! This is a great program!

Feature suggestions and errors:
-I get a segmentation fault when I pressed key t
-Gloobus need a icon for Gnome Menu entry (an application)
-Characthers as ñ or á é is not display correcty in folders or files.
-Gloobus need a help menu for usage in terminal (and program)

I made a dirty script (for easy download):
gloobus-installer.sh

#!/bin/sh
version="0.025"
echo "Gloobus installer v $version";

echo "Downloading program...\n"
#wget http://edge.launchpad.net/gloobus/gloobus-0.02/0.02/+download/Gloobus-0.025.tar.gz

echo "Decompressing program...\n"
mkdir -p Gloobus-0.025
cd Gloobus-0.025
tar -xzf ../Gloobus-0.025.tar.gz

echo "Installing program...\n"
./RELEASE/install.sh

echo "All done!"
exit 0

Put in terminal:

sudo chmod +x gloobus-installer.sh;sudo ./gloobus-installer.sh

Just my 0.02 cent.

EnGorDiaz
August 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
wait, at the above post, this program doesn't work for someone who has 768mb of ram? uhhhh......this is utter crap sorry for the language but it works on my old dell dimension just fine its got 512mb ram

DJ_Peng
August 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, EnGorDiaz. I'll have to try to chase down what's slowing my comp to a crawl so I can use Gloobus. :)

EnGorDiaz
August 25th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Thanks, EnGorDiaz. I'll have to try to chase down what's slowing my comp to a crawl so I can use Gloobus. :)

tell me what your running and i might help :P

EnGorDiaz
August 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
WARNING: it is illegal to use gloobus aparently where breaking apple EULA screw effing apple

http://www.mail-archive.com/nautilus-list@gnome.org/msg05180.html

teolemon
August 25th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Stop spreading FUD, please.
It only may or might. Previewing files is not something especially new anyway.

zekopeko
August 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
WARNING: it is illegal to use gloobus aparently where breaking apple EULA screw effing apple

http://www.mail-archive.com/nautilus-list@gnome.org/msg05180.html

well thank the reason that america is only 5% of the worlds population and that software patents are not recognized in the rest of the world.

DJ_Peng
August 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
tell me what your running and i might help :P
Sure thing. This is what I had posted a couple of pages back

Distro: Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktop Env: GNOME 2.22.3 (Ubuntu 2008-07-09)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-19-generic
Platform: i386

My video card is an Nvidia GeForce2 MX 100/200 using the 96.43.05 driver (from NVIDIA X Server Settings).
Let me know if you need more info from me. The post I quoted from has info on what I get when I tried to run it before.

EnGorDiaz
August 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Sure thing. This is what I had posted a couple of pages back

Let me know if you need more info from me. The post I quoted from has info on what I get when I tried to run it before.

ok what processes are you running in system monitor and also what aboutthe programs that start in default session monitor each programs cpu use and ram use you might have to uninstall some programs

EnGorDiaz
August 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM
these programs include any heavy extensive programs you might have used

DJ_Peng
August 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
ok what processes are you running in system monitor and also what aboutthe programs that start in default session monitor each programs cpu use and ram use you might have to uninstall some programs
How do you get a listing of current processes again? I know there's an easy way to get a list but my brain keeps timing out when I try to access the data.

As far as my startup programs

AWN with Cairo Menu, Places, AWN Terminal and Trash Cap applets
GNOME Do
Google Desktop (indexing is usually paused)
Google Gadgets Sidebar with clock and WeatherBug
Network Manager
Power Manager
Pulse Audio Session Management
Reset Compiz (to fix a window border issue on launch, if I remember right)
Update Notifier
User Folders Update (I need to find if I really need it running at each and every startup)
Volume Manager
Wallpaper Tray

EnGorDiaz
August 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
How do you get a listing of current processes again? I know there's an easy way to get a list but my brain keeps timing out when I try to access the data.

As far as my startup programs

AWN with Cairo Menu, Places, AWN Terminal and Trash Cap applets
GNOME Do
Google Desktop (indexing is usually paused)
Google Gadgets Sidebar with clock and WeatherBug
Network Manager
Power Manager
Pulse Audio Session Management
Reset Compiz (to fix a window border issue on launch, if I remember right)
Update Notifier
User Folders Update (I need to find if I really need it running at each and every startup)
Volume Manager
Wallpaper Tray

so you reset compiz at start up? so each .profile file gets reset or just compiz itsself is it full reset there is one thing missing does the x server work and do you have full 3d enabled bcus it sounds like you have an old graphics card well no bs you do but there might be some patch's to get full 3d

what graphics card slots do you have AGP PCI or pci express

EnGorDiaz
August 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
why hasnt there been any further development for this project over two weeks

EnGorDiaz
August 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
what im trying to get at is maybe some of your 3d features arent enabled have you got the full imagemagick up to date all that jazz what version of gloobus you running also

DJ_Peng
August 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
so you reset compiz at start up? so each .profile file gets reset or just compiz itsself is it full reset there is one thing missing does the x server work and do you have full 3d enabled bcus it sounds like you have an old graphics card well no bs you do but there might be some patch's to get full 3d

what graphics card slots do you have AGP PCI or pci express
I'm the only user on this comp, but I'm not sure if it's systemwide or just for me. I do have X on boot. I'm not sure why I restart Compiz, but I think I was needing to force a restart to get AWN and Google Gadgets Sidebar working properly. I have an old PCI video card.

what im trying to get at is maybe some of your 3d features arent enabled have you got the full imagemagick up to date all that jazz what version of gloobus you running also
I have imagemagick 7.6.3.7.9.dfsgd1-2ubuntu1, but I'm not sure if I have everything or not. I've got Gloobus-0.25, which is the newest I've seen.

EnGorDiaz
August 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM
i want to ask hello is there anymore development or not!!! crap man is this project just gunna die

EnGorDiaz
August 31st, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm the only user on this comp, but I'm not sure if it's systemwide or just for me. I do have X on boot. I'm not sure why I restart Compiz, but I think I was needing to force a restart to get AWN and Google Gadgets Sidebar working properly. I have an old PCI video card.

I have imagemagick 7.6.3.7.9.dfsgd1-2ubuntu1, but I'm not sure if I have everything or not. I've got Gloobus-0.25, which is the newest I've seen.

wait a second have you got ur compiz set to the most minimum performance

DJ_Peng
August 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Not at all. I have a custom set of settings with quite a bit of eye candy enabled, including the desktop sphere and the Atlantis2 plugin enabled.

zekopeko
August 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
did you try gloobus without compiz enabled?

EnGorDiaz
September 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM

quite stupid because compiz controls most 3d settings

DJ_Peng
September 1st, 2008, 01:22 PM
No I haven't. I was under the (possibly mistaken) understanding that I needed Compiz enabled to use Gloobus. if I have to choose between Compiz or Gloobus Compiz is going to win due to my use of both AWN and the Google Gadgets Sidebar.

I can try it without Compiz later, but I'm probably going to spend most of the day following the coverage of Hurricane Gustav since I still have family down in the New Orleans area. Luckily it looks like Gustav will be less intense than Katrina was three years ago but I know how easily that can change even after the storm goes past New Orleans.

zekopeko
September 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
quite stupid because compiz controls most 3d settings

please stop spurting your ignorance all over this thread. go and show your "advanced" knowledge somewhere else.

EnGorDiaz
September 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
please stop spurting your ignorance all over this thread. go and show your "advanced" knowledge somewhere else.

ignorance excuse me im trying to help this guy

ryanhaigh
September 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
EnGorDiaz, describing someone or their suggestion as stupid doesn't help anyone particularly when in this case your opinion is incorrect. Gloobus runs just as well if not better whilst using metacity as the window manager instead of compiz. Whilst your opinion in this instance was incorrect you are more than welcome to post it and should be able to do so without having to deal with derogatory remarks, we simply ask that you extend this same courtesy to others on the forum. It is our responsibility as a community to maintain the friendly and helpful atmosphere of these forums and in the end we all benefit.

EnGorDiaz
September 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
EnGorDiaz, describing someone or their suggestion as stupid doesn't help anyone particularly when in this case your opinion is incorrect. Gloobus runs just as well if not better whilst using metacity as the window manager instead of compiz. Whilst your opinion in this instance was incorrect you are more than welcome to post it and should be able to do so without having to deal with derogatory remarks, we simply ask that you extend this same courtesy to others on the forum. It is our responsibility as a community to maintain the friendly and helpful atmosphere of these forums and in the end we all benefit.

hmmm ur right most of the opengl and openal is vesa and crap

badchoice
September 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi again!!

This project is not dead!! but these days I've been out, in my holidays trip, bussisnes trip and well, some relax!!

I have to define the direction I want gloobus to follow, what are the goals I want and all these things.

My first motivations right now are:

1. Less cpu hungry
2. OppenOffice files preview
3. Movies preview
4. Better user interface

I will work on these before anything else cause I think that I need a very robust base code before making it bigger!!

But I think that I couln't code oppenoffice preview cause I know anything about it!!

Anyway, help developing will be very gratefully cause as I said these days I'm a bit busy...

When these things are done, then I'll make an anouncement for features to add at the new version.

Thanks for the support and remember to use launchpad for blueprints and bugs cause its easyer to manage than searching throught this post!

See you!

zekopeko
September 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
so.... is this thing gonna be made in clutter or SDL?

EnGorDiaz
September 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
here are some icosn to contribute badchoices

EnGorDiaz
September 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM
here are more icons for you badchoices cheer's!

EnGorDiaz
September 13th, 2008, 04:22 AM
there are some bugs in gloobus i would like to report

on some normal stock graphics card all of the dell integrated range you cant close the window of gloobus because of an error
window does scramble abit on default graphics

and i would like to see when you open a folder i would like to see a slider to slide from music file to another like the integrated preview feature in nautilus

and hopefuly some nautilus integration soon and other file manager support

EnGorDiaz
September 13th, 2008, 04:24 AM
and if you want to help badchoices i would love to make a debian operating system based with the idea of quicklook and mac but not copying it completely

i would love to base it off mac but not like mac completely

teolemon
October 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Jordi has just added some comments to the IPhoto plugin to make easier for people wanting to write new plugins to do so.

badchoice
October 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hi!
Yes I did!

Anyway I have news for you, I'm rewriting the preview application, I want it to be gtk + cairo + gtkglext (if needed)

http://gloobus.wordpress.com/

Please take a look at gloobus blog for more infromation... and let me know what do you think about!!

Thanks!

pt123
October 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear thought the project had died.

DJ_Peng
October 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I'll add your blog to my RSS feeds, badchoice. You may want to consider adding it to the Ubuntu Weblogs (http://ubuntuweblogs.org/) planet. They're always looking for new blogs to include.

grigio
October 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi!
Yes I did!

Anyway I have news for you, I'm rewriting the preview application, I want it to be gtk + cairo + gtkglext (if needed)

Please take a look at gloobus blog for more infromation... and let me know what do you think about!!

Thanks!

Why don't you do a plugin for Nautilus?

badchoice
October 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I talked with nautilus people and well, it seems that is not possible right now to add something like gloobus (coverflow there) but I think that with this new version is possible to add key bindings and toolbar buttons.

I would appreciate if any of you can help me with this, just bind space key to launch

preview <filename>

where filename is the file selected in nautilus

and add a two toolbar buttons un for coverflow (gloobus <floder>) and one for preview (preview <filename>)

If you can work it out please!! tell me! it will be one of best improvments on the application!

Now I'm very focused on making preview a very good application, redesign plugins to make it very easy to build one (yes!! very easy!!!!!!!!) and then I'll port gloobus to gtk + cairo + gtkglext using the same new plugins!!

I'll post on how to make plugins in the blog when I have it well perfiled!

I Hope we can improve it a lot!

Vadi
October 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Anti-aliasing plz.

teolemon
October 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
They've managed to embed a widget right where we want it to be:
http://blogs.sun.com/erwann/entry/zfs_on_the_desktop_zfs
Have a look at the code. It can be switched on and off. That seems very promising. All that it would take would be to replace the timeline by the OpenGL thingie.
I don't know if it's as simple as changing an image link in HTML, but that seems doable

badchoice
October 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
They've managed to embed a widget right where we want it to be:
Have a look at the code. It can be switched on and off. That seems very promising. All that it would take would be to replace the timeline by the OpenGL thingie.
I don't know if it's as simple as changing an image link in HTML, but that seems doable

Yes!! they have done it! It will be great If you can help me with this, I have no much time now and I prefer to develop gloobus and preview (now I'm redesigning preview to make it all esier) maybe we can talk to them and ask help!! but yes, this will do the trik!

Then just need for key binding!! :D

badchoice
October 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Again!!

Progress in the new preview application!!

Now I can load MP3 and render text in a scrollable window, this text can be colored if a parser is used (I won’t do this by now, so if anyone of you wants… there is a plugin for osx quicklook that does it.. I just need a gtkbuffertext) i can be coded as a plugin.

When I have all this more stable I’ll post a developer guide on how to develop plugins, like I said now is very easy!!!! very very, for example, to develop a plugin that just shows an image (gimp, psd or whatever) the plugin must inhert the class iImage and develop the funciton GtkPixbuf * get_pixbuf(); easy as this!!

For a text, the same, just develop a plugin that inherts iText and has the a function GtkTextBuffer * get_text_buffer();

For Mp3.. well two more functions inhert class iMusic and have get_pixbuf(); play_music(), stop_music(), get_artist(), get_album()… do you get it?

You can see the screenshots in the blog:

and remember that you can donate here:

teolemon
October 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I've asked for pointers in the dev blog

zekopeko
October 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
this is so cool!
just a little aestetic suggestion on the scrollbars. lose the dark part above and left of the scrollbars and make scrollbars show only when there is a need for them.
are you using scrollbars of the current theme or are they hardcoded in? it would be far nicer if all scrollbars would follow the gnome theme.

also on the widget theme the sun devs coded in. i don't see how it would be useful for us to have coverflow there. can it be added in the folder view? like when you try do burn something with nautilus or open trash there is a panel thingy. could we expand it vertically and put coverflow there?

here is a screenshot of the panel thingy

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/autilus.png

badchoice
October 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
NEW GLOOBUS-PREVIEW FIRST RELEASE JUST FOR TESTING
Hello!

I’ve uploaded the first release of new preview, I call it gloobus-preview to differ from the old preview.

This is just a first version just for testing and find bugs!! there are not so many features but I hope to get the same funcitonality as I had with the old, but now, using more common libraries, reusing a lot of code, the new architecture is a lot better than the previous.

I’ve added a default plugin that will try to load any filetype, and show its default theme icon :) there are still some errors but its really nice. This default plugin also search if there is a thumnail for the file (with gnome-thumbnail) and uses it :D, also really nice!!

You can download it from launchpad

http://launchpad.net/gloobus

I hope you enjoy it!

remeber you can donate =)

------------------------------------------------

The scrollbars are from theme, like the icons when no plugin for the filetype is found ;)

JemW
October 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, trying to install using the getdeb package produces the error as attached screenshot. Synaptic will not resolve the dependency. I'm running 8.10 Beta (with all current updates).

teolemon
October 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Got no answer so far on this blog:
and this blog:
http://aruiz.typepad.com/siliconisland/2008/10/zfs-meet-users.html

There's a link to the patch to Nautilus which is actually not that long.
Perhaps contacting the nautilus-list talking of the refactoring and asking help to integrate with the patch would receive more success thatn the previous attempt.

EnGorDiaz
October 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM
NEW GLOOBUS-PREVIEW FIRST RELEASE JUST FOR TESTING
Hello!

I’ve uploaded the first release of new preview, I call it gloobus-preview to differ from the old preview.

This is just a first version just for testing and find bugs!! there are not so many features but I hope to get the same funcitonality as I had with the old, but now, using more common libraries, reusing a lot of code, the new architecture is a lot better than the previous.

I’ve added a default plugin that will try to load any filetype, and show its default theme icon :) there are still some errors but its really nice. This default plugin also search if there is a thumnail for the file (with gnome-thumbnail) and uses it :D, also really nice!!

You can download it from launchpad

http://launchpad.net/gloobus

I hope you enjoy it!

remeber you can donate =)

------------------------------------------------

The scrollbars are from theme, like the icons when no plugin for the filetype is found ;)

badchoice if we could make a new rebuild of of nautilus you know patch it up would you think it would work

badchoice
October 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
yes.. this is the point, but I need some help in doing this... I hope, that now with this new version using all standards (gtk, gnomeui, gstreamer) they will be friendly on helping :D

But maybe the best is to ask them together!

teolemon
October 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Nautilus patch is here :
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/jds/spec-files/branches/gnome-2-24/patches/nautilus-13-zfs-snapshot.diff
I don't know coding, but judging from the comments, I'd say it begin around line 1200. There are 2600 lines of code, but I guess most of it can be scraped.
The patch seems to provide a button to activate the widget (would be off by default), a menu entry, a right click entry as well as a toolbar icon
It also displays a widget right where the coverflow thingy would need to be displayed

QwUo173Hy
October 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Is there any documentation for gloobus? The README I downloaded was empty. I'm wondering if it's possible to enter a folder and what other keybindings there are?

badchoice
October 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I've just uplodaed a new verision release, with the default plugins working pretty well, now mp3 plugins also have sound using gstreamer iphoto works without problem and trying to solve the issue with iplain
I'll add the fullscreen function as well in next versions

I hope you like it! and report as bugs as you can!

t4ggs
October 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
It will be helpfull if there would be a way to navigate in globus...i mean opening folders... also it would be better being able to integrate it to nautilus...i suppose this is the goal.

nanolightonair
October 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi everybody,
First of all I'd like to thanks a lot badchoice for his application, it's great!
I've downloaded the 0.025 version last week with the getdeb package but I'd like to have always the last version, would it be possible to have a ppa to be able to have always the last gloobus-preview?

Thanks!
nanolight

yavez
October 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, trying to install using the getdeb package produces the error as attached screenshot. Synaptic will not resolve the dependency. I'm running 8.10 Beta (with all current updates).

Same here? Anybody got a fix for 8.10 users, would love to use this application. And Kudos to the programmer for this, great work :)

Error: Dependecy is not satisfiable: libavcodec1d.

EnGorDiaz
October 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
The Nautilus patch is here :
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/jds/spec-files/branches/gnome-2-24/patches/nautilus-13-zfs-snapshot.diff
I don't know coding, but judging from the comments, I'd say it begin around line 1200. There are 2600 lines of code, but I guess most of it can be scraped.
The patch seems to provide a button to activate the widget (would be off by default), a menu entry, a right click entry as well as a toolbar icon
It also displays a widget right where the coverflow thingy would need to be displayed

ok well how does it work does it integrate it into nautilus?

teolemon
October 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gloobus&ordering=mostvotes
Please vote for Gloobus Ideas in Ubntu Brainstorm. This will help gain some attention.

DJ_Peng
October 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Just keep in mind that not everyone has 3D acceleration after the upgrade to Intrepid. Anyone using the Nvidia legacy drivers will have to wait for Nvidia to write new drivers for the latest version of X.Org that's in Intrepid. We can se ethings, but anything that requires 3D acceleration (like Compiz-Fusion and Gloobus) will be busted until Nvidia comes to the rescue.

zekopeko
October 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
well after watching this project from the begining i have to say that i think that it lacks structure. not code wise since i have no idea about that part but the whole organization lacks coherence.
we really should make a ppa archive for this, setup an irc channel and mailing list.
also versioning gloobus is really weird. you have 0.2 branch for gloobus but the preview version is 0.11. stuff like that is really confusing.

also is there a list of dependencies that are required for gloobus to compile?
since you are the programmer badchoice perhaps you could do a build system if i want to pull gloobus from launchpad so that i can simply to ./autogen.sh ; make; sudo make install?
aslo gloobus-preview binary should give me it's version number (bzr revision number that is) if i do gloobus-preview --version so that when i report a bug you can be sure that i don't have an obsolete version and that the bug was fixed in trunk.

any suggestions to this proposal are more then welcome

badchoice
October 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM
zekopeko: You're right, it is very confusing, but because it is...
I started gloobus, making it with SDL... and well, it was working pretty well, but as you said, it needed a lot of libraries, the code was not so standard and well, a lot of things...

Now, I've started gloobus-preview from zero (this is why the new versioning) using GTK, GSTREAMER, CAIRO.. the most standard libraries, so there won't be needed so many as before. My intention is to port Gloobus to gtk cario and gtkglext as well and making it as standard possible.
Right now there are 2 plugins one for each old and new gloobus, this will have to change and both use the new plugins...

Cause I'm just one developer, I keep it a little disorganized, but if any other developer wants to help me, or wants to contribute, then I will tidy it up!!

PsychedelicReaction
October 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM
i would like to try out gloobus but i've got an unmet dependencies problem with Intrepid, someone could help me?

gloobus: Depends: libavcodec1d (>= 0.cvs20070307) which is a virtual package.
Depends: libavformat1d (>= 0.cvs20070307) which is a virtual package.

PsychedelicReaction
November 3rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
anyone?

coolen
November 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Some of the packages have different names in Intrepid. I tracked them down manually in Synaptic.

However, I'm having trouble running it, though. I've tried gloobus and gloobus-preview, and they spit out the same error:

gloobus: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This file exists in /usr/lib. I noticed that other SDL libraries were kept in /usr/lib32 (I'm running 64-bit). Could this be the culprit?

I created a link in /usr/lib32, and then got this error:

gloobus: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_image-1.2.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So, is this not working for 64-bit users?

zekopeko
November 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
dude what's going on with this project? any updates? need my gloobus fix :D

Nergar
November 24th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Very confusing, I would like to test it but I don't know what to do. Please put something in the README.txt

zekopeko
December 17th, 2008, 10:56 PM
badchoice is this project dead or are you just taking the time off?

Fiste788
December 21st, 2008, 01:18 AM
i think that now this project is not very useful. it became useful when it will be integrated in nautilus. can someone create a deb with gloobus integrated in nautilus??
sorry for english:)

zekopeko
December 21st, 2008, 01:28 AM
well the nautilus in 8.10 can have keybinding for extensions so gloobus-preview could be assigned to space or something else.

DJ_Peng
December 31st, 2008, 08:19 PM
i would like to try out gloobus but i've got an unmet dependencies problem with Intrepid, someone could help me?

gloobus: Depends: libavcodec1d (>= 0.cvs20070307) which is a virtual package.
Depends: libavformat1d (>= 0.cvs20070307) which is a virtual package.
I'm getting the libavcodec1d as well while installing from the .deb on GetDeb.

Also, I saw a story on CNET last week about Google, MS and Apple getting sued over preview icons (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10129022-92.html). Is this something Gloobus will have to watch out for?

coolen
January 2nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Ars Technica has an article covering the suit (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081226-microsoft-apple-google-sued-over-icon-software-patent.html).

They mentioned that Google is being sued for offering Chrome, which infringes on the patent, for sale. This seems to suggest that, if they do succeed against Apple and Microsoft, that will at least fail for wording, allowing free software a bit of breathing room.

I doubt it'll come to anything. They're going after some major names. For once, I actually hope that Microsoft and Apple will be able to defend themselves adequately.

DJ_Peng
January 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the AT link. It's pretty funny that they're going after Google's Chrome when they're not "selling" a thing. Yet.

teolemon
January 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Development has started again, and Jordi is looking for coding help.

DJ_Peng
January 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I've got a quick questions for those in the know. I recently upgraded my comp to use 2GB of RAM and an EVGA e-GeForce 6200 video card. Should I be installing Gloobus 0.025 or Gloobus Preview 0.11? I installed 0.025 from Christopn Korn's PPA but when I ran it the window opened and promptly closed with a silent fail. I finally ran it from the Terminal and this is what I got:

:~$ gloobus
LOADING PLUGINS:
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iVideo.so
Error loading Plugin: /usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iVideo.so: undefined symbol: _Z20avcodec_find_decoder7CodecID

I haven't installed Gloobus Preview yet although I do have the code on my hard drive. Which direction should I be going in? I have to say the README isn't very helpful at all for GP 0.11. Does GP need the edits to Nautilus Actions that Gloobus did?

badchoice
January 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hey people!!

Finally I got time to get back in gloobus project!
I've done a lot of research and improvements in gloobus-preview. As I commented in the previous post, I've changed the deprectaded gnomevfs for the new gio / gnome vfs to acces to the icons thumbnails and file info!

I've added info in all plugins in the bottom part, info like size, mime type and depending on the plugin, can be added more information. If you have an idea or request of more info you wuold like to appear, please ask!

I've developed the PDF plugin! it loads the pages in a thread and displays it as they're loaded!! I get really amazed on how fast a PDF of 150 pages is loaded!! in gloobus-preview it is opened and first pdf page displayed in a blink!! You've to try it!!

Now I'll be fixin some code issues and searching something to launch it from a shortcut, its the missing step that keeps gloobus-preview completly off intregration, so if you have any idea, please!!! TELL MEE!!

For more information:
Code at: https://launchpad.net/gloobus
More info at: http://gloobus.wordpress.com/

Achetar
January 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hey badchoise, I'm gonna look through the code and see about maybe helping you. I'm not too familiar with GL and would like to get more familiar with it soo...but at the least I can bugtest (love it! great stuff this is!)

badchoice
January 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Achetar,
You'll see that is not so hard, and if you look for the gloobus-preview, it donesn't use GL so it's for babys :D
But well, now that I've gloobus-preview so mature, I think its time to rewrite gloobus (coverflow) to use gl inside GTK so this way the same plugins can be used in both gloobus and gloobus-preview!

If you need help in any part of the code, please tell me and I help you, you can find me on irc or in jabber so we can define the direction of the application!

Fionnzer
January 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Has anyone managed to get this working on intrepid 8.10 ?
If so how ?
If not when will it come out for intrepid ?

Thanks

Achetar
January 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
should I get the gloobus or gloobus-Preview branch? Getting the gloobus branch right now.

badchoice
January 24th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hey guys!

Now I'm developing the gloobus-preview, there is still no binaries for the newest version. There is the code in launchpad.

When I've gloobus-preview very healthy, then I'll get back on coverflow and try to use a more common libs.

Integration in nautilus is pretty hard for coverflow right now, but well, I can add a button on the toolbar to launch it quickly, the same for preview, the fact is, that I still don't know how to achieve this.

I'll upload binaries gloobus-preview (intrepid 64bits) soon, so you can test it and try to find a solution to launch it with a shortkey!

The project is not dead, but I have not so time as I would like...

See you!

Prominence
January 26th, 2009, 02:36 AM
It's alright, it's an amazing project, I want to get the Preview though, and I wish there was a simple .deb package. Last time I tried Coverflow it didn't work well at all.

badchoice
January 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hey! I've just uploaded a video of gloobus-preview.
I get something to launch it directly, but well, it insn't still the best... (You can find the video in launchpad->screencasts)

Very soon I'll upload the binaries and a install.sh script that makes it all easier!!

pt123
January 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hey! I've just uploaded a video of gloobus-preview.

lol what was that PDF

badchoice
January 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
It's the book of books, the source of living, the happyines in PDF it's Kamasutra!!

hehe it was the PDF I was using for testing... so I get more happy when thing didn't work out as I would

azwar
January 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I've got a quick questions for those in the know. I recently upgraded my comp to use 2GB of RAM and an EVGA e-GeForce 6200 video card. Should I be installing Gloobus 0.025 or Gloobus Preview 0.11? I installed 0.025 from Christopn Korn's PPA but when I ran it the window opened and promptly closed with a silent fail. I finally ran it from the Terminal and this is what I got:

:~$ gloobus
LOADING PLUGINS:
/usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iVideo.so
Error loading Plugin: /usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iVideo.so: undefined symbol: _Z20avcodec_find_decoder7CodecID

I haven't installed Gloobus Preview yet although I do have the code on my hard drive. Which direction should I be going in? I have to say the README isn't very helpful at all for GP 0.11. Does GP need the edits to Nautilus Actions that Gloobus did?

I also face the same problem like this... what to do. i've install gloobus & gloobus-preview

badchoice
January 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM
just delete the ivideo plugin cause it is still not workin

rm /usr/share/gloobus/plugins/iVideo.so

zekopeko
January 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
could you provide an autogen.sh-way of installing from bzr? i think it would provide for easier testing of your awesome project. i'm sure that somebody from #gnome-do could help you.

and another thing that would be really nice to add is a close button in the top corner of preview.

OT: i see that you are emulating Mac OS X in you desktop screenshots. Did you try globalmenu? it allows for having the menu bar of any GTK app in the panel.

here is the link for installing from svn:
http://ayozone.org/2009/01/08/install-gnome-globalmenu-07-series/

you can get vala from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~vala-team/+archive if you are running intrepid.

davim
January 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
This PPA has gloobus packages is it official?

https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive

You really should have an official PPA for Gloobus

OT: global menu is really cool :) you can follow this to install it:

http://nancib.wordpress.com/2008/11/26/get-the-globalmenu-without-all-of-the-hassle/

use this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~globalmenu-team/+archive