PDA

View Full Version : I dont care if there is a virus, I just dont

barbedsaber
June 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I like music, I don't have a lot of it, but I have used almost a gig and a half of my mp3/ogg player, and I use the rest of it for portable apps.

One day I went to school, and decided to use Abiword instead of MS office. I plugged in my mp3 player, and it went through the standard 4 minute's trying to figure out that something had been plugged in, and ordering me to restart the computer. it then said that the school antivirus had found a trojan in file LG FM 33/music/big yellow taxi, (which is a file that I pirated with frostwire)

It then proceeded to delete the file, without any input from me. I was pissed off, I did not give it permission to do that. I dont care if there is a virus on it, I use linux for gods sake. very annoyed :mad

lisati
June 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I've encountered viruses and other malicious files in search results returned by Limewire. Unfortunately we can't trust ALL the search results returned by such programs to be genuine MP3 files. A dead giveaway is when trying to preview the song while it's downloading, and nothing plays. Just remember to have antivirus software up & running if you're using Windows.....

barbedsaber
June 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Just remember to have antivirus software up & running if you're using Windows.....

but I don't use windows.

gn2
June 14th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I was pissed off, I did not give it permission to do that.

Yes you did, you connected your device to someone else's computer, in doing so you accepted that the admin rules in force on that computer are OK with you.

If you had done that where I work you would have been fired.

ikki_72
June 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
it could've been embedded into the mp3 file or a false positive from the antivirus. but that should teach you not to warez/torrent copyrighted stuff. try songs from Jamendo instead

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

barbedsaber
June 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
But it could have at least said hey there is a virus in that file, I will try to disinfect it.

oh, that didn't work, ok, I will stop you from opening it, because it will break the computer.

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
If i were you i would edit your post before you get infractions.

You can't talk about pirated stuff here.

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
But it could have at least said hey there is a virus in that file, I will try to disinfect it.

oh, that didn't work, ok, I will stop you from opening it, because it will break the computer.

It obviously wasn't a music file.

Why are you bothered?

lisati
June 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
1) Even if we are using Linux, it's good manners not to knowingly pass on virii to other people's computers. My ISP even has such a requirement written into its TOS.

2) My wife & I gave our nephew an MP3 player as a present. Some months later he came for help getting some music on it. Trouble was, it had been connected to an infected machine, and the copy of AVG on the XP machine I plugged it into went "ballistic" - an incredible waste of time while I scanned the MP3 player and removed all traces of the rubbish.

halln
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
but I don't use windows.

Off topic: Sorry mate, Just want to know how good the life in Adelaide coz I'm immigrating there in few months frm now. ( Sorry guys for hijacking your thread, my apology)
:oops:

barbedsaber
June 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
1. It was a music file, it did play, and it was high bitrate.

2.I have mentioned that I pirate things on this forum before, and have never gotten into trouble, its not like I am encorageing it, or telling people where to get pirated stuff.

3.I use jamando, and I love it, but not for popular music.

4.Adelaide is awesome, its cold atm but the weather is nice most of the time, and the football (aussie rules) is at its finest.

halln
June 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info barbedsaber, I'm gonna wear my ubuntu shirt on the plane going to adelaide. Thanks everybody, carry on w/ your thread.

lisati
June 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Off topic: Sorry mate, Just want to know how good the life in Adelaide coz I'm immigrating there in few months frm now. ( Sorry guys for hijacking your thread, my apology)
:oops:
Don't worry about it! And Brisbane airport somehow survived a visit from across the ditch back in July '06...

Tomatz
June 14th, 2008, 09:02 AM
2.I have mentioned that I pirate things on this forum before, and have never gotten into trouble, its not like I am encorageing it, or telling people where to get pirated stuff.

I did and i got an infraction.

At the end of the day i don't know why you are whinging. The file was obviously broken and infected. Why should your school give you a chance not to delete a virus and potentially infect their system. This is exactly how viruses spread, the naivety of people.

Its a crud song anyway, you are best off without it ;)

gn2
June 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
1) Even if we are using Linux, it's good manners not to knowingly pass on virii to other people's computers.

The plural of virus in the english language is viruses.

There is no plural of the latin word virus.

lisati
June 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The plural of virus in the english language is viruses.

There is no plural of the latin word virus.
:) I hated Latin at school!

gn2
June 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I hated Latin at school!

It was my favourite subject, the teacher I had was excellent and made the lessons very interesting with lots of Roman history thrown in.

Having done Latin at school made me enjoy the "Romanes eunt domus" part of Monty Python's Life of Brian all the more :-)

KiwiNZ
June 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
The cost of piracy has many faces and rules are in place for a reason. And a lesson has been learnt .