PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm taking wine seriously

FFighter
June 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM
You may say what you want, but lots of Ubuntu (And GNU/Linux) users still have a foot on the Windows world, and the reason 99% of the time is because of Windows-only applications critical for the work they do (not to mention gaming).

I can't live without the Flash IDE (at least version 8) and Photoshop (>= CS2). And no, I'm not lazy because I didn't take the time to learn Gimp, after all, I still have a life to live :)

And geez, wine 1.0 RC5 runs PS CS2 out-of-the-box, without any major flaws (some minor GUI bugs, but hey, nothing is perfect), and at each revision it is getting better.

Kudos to the wine developers! I may even get a cedega or crossover license to support them, they are doing a marvelous work!

In no time, I will be able to ditch XP ... thanks god! Less waste of resources and a more seamless workflow :D

Ub1476
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Wine has been running CS2 for a few months - since Google decided to pay PS devs to contribute some code to Wine.

I think the Wine devs goal is to run Cs3 flawless when W 1.0 is released. I certainly hope it will. :)

Mathiasdm
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cedega has nothing to do with Wine, they forked from Wine long ago ;-)

So getting a Cedega license won't help Wine at all.

kevin11951
June 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Cedega has nothing to do with Wine, they forked from Wine long ago ;-)

So getting a Cedega license won't help Wine at all.

+1 exactly what i was going to say.

Kosimo
June 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
+1 exactly what i was going to say.

I have to say that I'm using Cedega and for my Blizzard games it just works out of the box, doing nothing and perfectly. And for some users this really counts. Honestly.

tadcan
June 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
According to this linux.com artical on wine (http://www.linux.com/feature/138160) codeweavers is the commercial arm of wine. They give code back to the main wine project.

Sand & Mercury
June 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wine is awesome.

billgoldberg
June 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I refuse to dirty up my Ubuntu install by installing wine onto it.

I dual boot (with vista) for counterstrike source, half-life 2 and it's spin-offs.

Mathiasdm
June 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I have to say that I'm using Cedega and for my Blizzard games it just works out of the box, doing nothing and perfectly. And for some users this really counts. Honestly.
There's nothing wrong with Cedega, and I'm sure it helps lots of Linux users.
But this person was talking about supporting the wine developers, and getting a Cedega license is NOT the way to do that.

SunnyRabbiera
June 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Me I have taken wine seriously since last year.
Since it started having an easier way to access wine config and once wine doors appeared I have been a big fan of wine.

ssam
June 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
there is a donate button on the wine home page. thats slightly more direct than getting a cross over license.

SunnyRabbiera
June 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
there is a donate button on the wine home page. thats slightly more direct than getting a cross over license.

Perhaps, though crossover has a lot of developers that have made crossover a great frontend for wine and its contributions to wine have been marvelous.

Polygon
June 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I refuse to dirty up my Ubuntu install by installing wine onto it.

I dual boot (with vista) for counterstrike source, half-life 2 and it's spin-offs.

wine is completely open source. I'm not getting why you think wine is 'dirty'.

kevin11951
June 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
wine is completely open source. I'm not getting why you think wine is 'dirty'.

i guess s/he means s/he doesn't want windows programs on his/her computer.

medic2000
June 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
But he/she has a windows :)

Methuselah
June 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM
or maybe some view that windows and unix shouldn't 'mix'.

anyway, wine is bringing old applications in line with the future. for a while the aim has been apps that can run anywhere through a web presence or through running on a language support backend that has been ported to multiple systems [eg. java, .net, python]

really, no operating system does things so fundamentally differently that a program on one cannot run on the other. wine is doing a great job in bringing down artificial walls. there's already cygwin going the other way.

[excuse lack of caps, ubuntu started hating my shift key]