PDA

View Full Version : First Windows Bug: Fourth Reboot

Kimm
October 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM
So, I just installed Windows on my computer, not that I wanted to, just since I have a LAN-Party to atend and Games just plainly dont run in Breezy.

So, after the installation was complete, ofcourse almost none of my hardware is detected, so I put the CD in the drive and start installing drivers, about 5 of them. After that was done network still doesnt work, but since I have a static IP that didnt seem like a problem, I just enterd my IP... but no, didnt connect.
I call my dad, as he is somewhat of a Windows Guru he was able to fix it in about 15 minutes, I dont know what he did though.

Now, I turn the computer off and go to bed.

When I turn it on in the morning I realize that my mouse stoped working, it worked perfectly during and after the installation yesterday, but now it doesnt work, that has to be a bug right? So... I turn the computer off and put a PS/2 adapted on it... now it works again.

Now... to install AntiVirus, Firewall and 25 billion crutial system updates.

PS.
No worries, Ubuntu will be back by wendsday next week. Just not Breezy... Hoary will reclaim its throne I think.

Kapre
October 27th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Goodluck on your LAN-party (hope you will win in all the games)!

Just make sure that you'll back to the real world (linux) very soon.

K

mstlyevil
October 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM
When I turn it on in the morning I realize that my mouse stoped working, it worked perfectly during and after the installation yesterday, but now it doesnt work, that has to be a bug right? So... I turn the computer off and put a PS/2 adapted on it... now it works again.

Some motherboards have a setting in the bios that you can select if you run your mouse USB or PS/2. This may have been your problem and not a bug with Windows.

Zotova
October 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Now... to install AntiVirus, Firewall and 25 billion crutial system updates.

I have to say, although I suppose does depend on the user, I have never seen the big deal about viruses. Maybe I have just never visited the right sites or downloaded the right files as I have never been infected by one. I quite happily ran my ME machine and XP machine for a few years without any real-time protection and had no problems, heck a lot of the time the real-time protection is a hell of a lot more like a virus.

In fairness though, when I installed Breezy the first time about three months back there were a fair few updates - comparable to XP. For an OS that old it is to be expected really.