PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a browser alternative? Check out Opera 9.50...

SlappyPappy
June 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I just upgraded my Opera to 9.50 and damn, that thing is sweet! Super fast and so far no problems rendering any of the usual websites I go to regularly.

If you're looking for a different browser, do check out Opera 9.50 and BTW I'm running it in Gutsy. :)

Happy_Man
June 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah, it really is pretty damn awesome. The only reason I was using Firefox 3 was so that I'd have something stable while waiting for 9.5 to come out. Now that it has, I'm back where I belong: on Opera!

Xiong Chiamiov
...or Kazehakase, or Galeon, or Ephiphany, or Dillo, or Links, or...

The only reasons I use Firefox is because I can't live without all of my extensions. I don't recommend it to others, though, who don't need something as bloated as it's gotten.

Joeb454
It's pretty good, I've not given it a proper run yet, as I'm not used to the way it works (other than typing addresses etc.)

Looks quite nice though, they have 64 bit builds too which is pretty good

Sealbhach
June 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I've just started using Swiftweasel. It's a vast improvement.

Might give Opera a try though, something a bit funny with the fonts on this browser.

jrusso2
June 14th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I am having a hard time seeing whats different between this and 9.27

Happy_Man
June 14th, 2008, 04:05 AM
I am having a hard time seeing whats different between this and 9.27
Apart from the new theme, the new Opera Link feature that does what Foxmarks does and more, the vastly improved load times, rendering speeds, the nice font rendering, the rebuilt mail client, and a lot of other stuff I'm probably forgetting, yeah, there isn't that much changed from 9.27.

bufsabre666
June 14th, 2008, 04:26 AM
when you say alternative browser i think of kazekahaze or epiphany or swiftweasel, i dont really consider a widely used browser like opera to be alternative. its only alternative in the sense that it doesnt come preinstalled, other than that it has something like 9% of the browser market, which when you think of it, thats alot of people

ramjet_1953
June 14th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Just downloaded it earlier this morning and am using it right now.

Very slick!

It would be nice if there were a download manager like DownThemAll in Firefox, though!

However, I like the speed and font rendering very much.

Regards,
Roger :cool:

jrusso2
June 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Apart from the new theme, the new Opera Link feature that does what Foxmarks does and more, the vastly improved load times, rendering speeds, the nice font rendering, the rebuilt mail client, and a lot of other stuff I'm probably forgetting, yeah, there isn't that much changed from 9.27.

The theme looks the same to me execpt the buttons are squared off. load times I can't see a difference, rendering speed can't tell, mail don't use. I will have to find the foxmarks thing didn't see that.

Happy_Man
June 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM
The theme looks the same to me execpt the buttons are squared off. load times I can't see a difference, rendering speed can't tell, mail don't use. I will have to find the foxmarks thing didn't see that.
Uh, are you sure you're using Opera 9.5 final? Because this default theme look a lot different from the previous default.

FFighter
June 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks for this post, you opened my eyes. Opera is sweet.

Too bad it does not have development tools on par with FireFox (FireBug and Web Developer Toolbar), otherwise I would leave the former and stay with Opera.

barbedsaber
June 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM
but will it blend?

on a more serious note, are you sure it is supported well enough to render things well enough, and will it EVER be open source?

jrusso2
June 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Uh, are you sure you're using Opera 9.5 final? Because this default theme look a lot different from the previous default.

Yes I just don't see it looking a lot different. It has the same layout they just changed the skin a bit and the buttons. I did find the bookmark synch though and thats a welcome change since I have like ten pc's.

Polygon
June 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
but will it blend?

on a more serious note, are you sure it is supported well enough to render things well enough, and will it EVER be open source?

most likely not.

karellen
June 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I've tried Opera 9.5 on Vista and Mandriva and I'm sorry to say that the Vista version looks better + has smoother font rendering; but it fits pretty well in KDE, too

Aruhn
June 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I use Opera since version 7 and from version to version works opera better. Opera 8.5 is very fast, has nice features and looks nice and is a good complete solution. :)

Ub1476
June 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I love Opera, but won't use it because:

No 100% QT port (like Firefox has with GTK)
Search function isn't as good as in Firefox
Same goes with spell checking.
Operas pop-up blocker doesn't beat adblock plus.
Font rendering isn't as good as in Firefox.
Not such a fine addressbar as it is in Firefox (I know it has a alike feature though).
It isn't open-source.

Otherwise it's fast and slick. I hope they improve the above things though.

Colonel Kilkenny
June 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Not such a fine addressbar as it is in Firefox (I know it has a alike feature though).

Yeah, it's sad that in Opera addressbar searches from page content, page title and url. It should be searching only from page title and url like in Firefox.;)

magnus0
June 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
...or Kazehakase, or Galeon, or Ephiphany, or Dillo, or Links, or...

The only reasons I use Firefox is because I can't live without all of my extensions. I don't recommend it to others, though, who don't need something as bloated as it's gotten.

There are plenty of extensions for Opera too. maybe you can find some equivalents?

miggols99
June 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM

No 100% QT port (like Firefox has with GTK)
Search function isn't as good as in Firefox
Same goes with spell checking.
Operas pop-up blocker doesn't beat adblock plus.
Font rendering isn't as good as in Firefox.
It isn't open-source.

Otherwise it's fast and slick. I hope they improve the above things though.
To get nice font rendering, I had to install KControl and set the font settings up to subpixel hinting. Now the fonts are just as nice as Firefox. I agree that the search isn't as great, but I prefer to use "/". Just press / on a page and type in something and it will search for it. I'd like Opera to have better spellchecking...but oh well. Opera is kinda strange with the top bar just being Qt..then everything else is made by the theme. Weird...

Mazza558
June 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Wow, it's getting very impressive now. It's a noticeable difference from FF3, which, although brilliant, still crashes if you try to open too much at once.

Changturkey
June 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
How do you disable the built in bittorrent client? It sucks.

pjalegria
June 14th, 2008, 02:54 PM
For me FF3 is the alternative browser of Opera...:lolflag:

billgoldberg
June 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I just upgraded my Opera to 9.50 and damn, that thing is sweet! Super fast and so far no problems rendering any of the usual websites I go to regularly.

If you're looking for a different browser, do check out Opera 9.50 and BTW I'm running it in Gutsy. :)

I used it a bit and it's pretty useless for me.

It crashed after using it for 5 min and it's way to bloated to begin with.

Not to mention it looks horrible on gnome (I know about it skins, but I need Gtk + support).

The plus side of Opera is that it now supports flash out of the box in ubuntu, I presume it's using the non-free flash plugin I installed x months ago.

D-EJ915
June 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
How do you disable the built in bittorrent client? It sucks.
opera:config

there's a bittorrent section =3

tuebinger
June 16th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I've used Opera 9.5. It is a nice browser, and fast, but some problems I've had with it are it won't save my TiddlyWiki files. And it seems to stall when opening some pages.

I think I prefer the look and feel of Firefox.

karachuonyo
June 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I have been using the beta for some time now but yesterday downloaded the release version and somehow cannot install it. Gdebi insists i have the latest version installed and when i go to the beta tools check for updates it also reports i'm using the latest version. Maybe nothing has changed from beta to release version. Still a very good browser and a back up whenever FF3.0 misbehaves.

5m0k3
June 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I have been using the beta for some time now but yesterday downloaded the release version and somehow cannot install it. Gdebi insists i have the latest version installed and when i go to the beta tools check for updates it also reports i'm using the latest version. Maybe nothing has changed from beta to release version. Still a very good browser and a back up whenever FF3.0 misbehaves.
Uninstall your current version before installing the new release. Don't remove and purge or you'll lose your present configuration

cardinals_fan
June 16th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Too bad it does not have development tools on par with FireFox (FireBug and Web Developer Toolbar), otherwise I would leave the former and stay with Opera.
Dragonfly is getting pretty good. Just give it some time.

rudihawk
June 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I run Opera on my Windows machine and FF3 when in Linux. I installed 9.50 on my Linux and had one look at it and removed it. However I love it on Windows....different strokes for different folks I suppose.

ruetheday
June 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I will DO IT I will DO it now

Lets see how it is!! hahaha toooo much CACAO NIBS

DoktorSeven
June 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I'm using Seamonkey 2.0 alpha. Very stable to me and is basically Firefox 3 without all the bloat. Extensions work too without Seamonkey 1.x's issues with them (some required they be installed into Seamonkey's installation directory instead of your profile like Firefox does, 2.0 fixes this).

Oh, how things have changed since Phoenix became the non-bloated choice over Mozilla...

L815
June 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Maybe you should look again. When I last used them, Opera's tools were far superior to FF. Not to mention FF ripped some of the features from Opera a while ago. Not to rag on FF, I like it very much as well :)

regomodo
June 17th, 2008, 12:02 AM
`

Changturkey
June 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM
opera:config

there's a bittorrent section =3

Thanks.

WakkiTabakki
June 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
To get nice font rendering, I had to install KControl and set the font settings up to subpixel hinting.

That did it! Sweet, thanks!!!

/N

ice60
June 26th, 2008, 11:31 PM

are you talking about Dragonfly and opera's Web Developer Toolbar? you probably are, but here's the links anyway -
http://operawiki.info/WebDevToolbar
http://www.opera.com/products/dragonfly/

i love opera, i've made 100s of changes to it, probably more then to firefox with it's addons, using userjs, bookmarklets and editting the ini files.

here's one 'hack' that's similar to the firefox extension called Tiny Menu (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1455). it's a bookmarklet that toggles the menu toolbar on and off and has a tiny menu button, called Toggle Menu bar on/off AND dropdown the main menu (with image if using several custom skins) on this page below -
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons

go to where it says Toggle Menu bar on/off AND dropdown the main menu (with image if using several custom skins) and drag it to the place you want it on your toolbar. there's another one just above it that looks better, but doesn't toggle the menu toolbar on and off called Full Menu bar as a button (with 'Notes' image) (you can right-click them and remove them if you don't like them)

here's how it looks!! you can see the fantastic skin i made and the hacked menus too :D

Barrucadu
June 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Nice, I might have to try that menu thing. My Opera currently isn't particularly impressive - I've eliminated all the toolbars except the tab bar (which will probably be going soon), and the address bar (which will be staying definitely). I'm slowly removing graphical features to make me learn the keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures better.
Plus, I get more space for pages to be displayed. It's a win-win situation :)

ice60
June 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Nice, I might have to try that menu thing. My Opera currently isn't particularly impressive - I've eliminated all the toolbars except the tab bar (which will probably be going soon), and the address bar (which will be staying definitely). I'm slowly removing graphical features to make me learn the keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures better.
Plus, I get more space for pages to be displayed. It's a win-win situation :)
if you want more space try out these skins -
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8164
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8161

there are more toolbar toggle buttons too if you want them on this page, under Toggle Toolbars -
http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Buttons/buttons.html

i just changed my menu toggle button too to the last one in the group on the page i linked to before, now it uses an icon instead of saying menu, it toggles the menu still. there are about 6 different options on that page - some don't toggle the menus and others use different icons 8)

EDIT: look how compact that skin is with some of the toolbars toggled off!! i changed the unseen tabs to blue.

mrgnash
June 27th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I 'checked it out', and didn't like it.