PDA

View Full Version : Voice/Cam Coming to Pidgin

bruce89
June 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I hear that Pidgin is getting webcam support (http://bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/yes-its-coming/).

kevin11951
June 13th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I hear that Pidgin is getting webcam support (http://bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/yes-its-coming/).
and i found this while trolling their site:
http://developer.pidgin.im/milestone/Voice%20and%20Video%20Support

Sef
June 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Moved to its own thread because it was not on topic.

sstusick
June 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
It's about time they've added WebCam and Voice capability.

diskotek
June 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
that's good news, but it might make pidgin bloated also..

rajeev1204
June 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
wow. It says due in 2 months !

Something's cooking. http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/GSoC2008/VoiceAndVideo

RebounD11
June 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
that's good news, but it might make pidgin bloated also..

And I thought bloat was useless stuff... I hate the fact that Pidgin doesn't support voice and webcams (I only have a microphone so far so it's only half the hate :P) so this is good new.

steeleyuk
June 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I'd prefer it as a plugin, enabled by default.

loell
June 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM
hmm xmpp, great!!! :D

master5o1
June 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I'd prefer it as a plugin, enabled by default.

It probably will be a plugins, enabled by default, I don't know.

loell
June 14th, 2008, 01:27 PM
It probably will be a plugins, enabled by default, I don't know.

its in libpurple so its in the core.

bash
June 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Wow a development in Pidgin. Wonders do happen ;)

Jokes aside, this sound like great news. Sadly besides GTalk/Jabber it doesn't specify for which protocols the video/voice chat will be added. Anyone happen to know this. AFIAK Farsight2 supports at least MSN Protocol.

loell
June 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
yes its only for gtalk / jabber though farsight also supports msn and yahoo webcam which still needs fixing.

Yfrwlf
August 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
So yeah apparently this just came out for XMMP/Jabber-only and for Linux-only (which are both perfectly fine by me since that's all I care about): http://pidgin.im/

Going to try it out ASAP.

Yfrwlf
August 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well that failed, I first tried gmail and voice and video was all grayed out, if you go to the chat window and go to conversation > media. I then tried making an account on a Jabber server that *said* it supported voice/video, and I got the same result. Grayed out. This was all with using different accounts on different computers but on the same Jabber server, too.

Johnsie
August 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I will believe this when I see it.

khc
August 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well that failed, I first tried gmail and voice and video was all grayed out, if you go to the chat window and go to conversation > media. I then tried making an account on a Jabber server that *said* it supported voice/video, and I got the same result. Grayed out. This was all with using different accounts on different computers but on the same Jabber server, too.

XMPP(Jabber) VV requires no server support, but both ends need to use a client that support it.

Yfrwlf
August 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
XMPP(Jabber) VV requires no server support, but both ends need to use a client that support it.

Thanks for that info. Apparently Pidgin fails at this support then, unless there's something I've missed. I even made sure farsight was installed. Will have to research more to find out why...

Anyone have any luck?

kevdog
August 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Ive got the same problem here -- all options greyed out? What must I do?

Yfrwlf
August 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ive got the same problem here -- all options greyed out? What must I do?

Maybe they just said it's supported now just to try to win favors even though it's not ready because Empathy is stealing the spotlight. If that were true, that's definitely backfiring...and not that it is going to make a difference but who knows. Regardless, I've not had any success yet, so it's not very nice of them to say on the front page of their website that it works if it doesn't at all. If it is only working in "rare cornercases" then that's definitely not "working" and I'd note that on your site.

The one thing I'm trying next will be to see if it makes a difference if I run it on Karmic Koala, because I read that there was a package that you might need to have from Koala, otherwise it wouldn't work, i.e. a dependency issue in the PPA for Jackalope where it should install the newer needed library but doesn't. Will try to find out. USB Live environments to the rescue. ^^

Yfrwlf
August 28th, 2009, 11:26 PM
This may be an issue with the client not reporting what it is capable of correctly. I added a user who was using Gtalk and suddenly "audio call" was available with them. Yet when trying between two Pidgin accounts, it was always grayed out.

Ric_NYC
August 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Nice. After all this is 2009...