PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with 8.04 grub

thschiavo
June 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I wasn`t able to find this question here, in Ubuntu Forum. Sorry if it was already posted.

I have instaled ubuntu 8.04, using dual boot with another OS (XP). The first time I reboot the PC, it was evrything ok... but when the first update were instaled and I had to reboot the PC, on the boot screen I had the ubuntu selection repeated 2 times (with different kernel versions). It means that I`d have now installed on my PC two versions of linux kernel (is it?...). So I was not worried, until I update more and more times: since I installed 8.04, I updated my system four times. Now, in my Grub, I have four versions of the Kernel.

I don`t know if it is actually a problem, I know people with the same situation. So I just wanna know if it`s a problem. If it`s not a problemm, can I just delete these lines from my grub file?

(Sorry if I did something wrong, this is the first time I post here...)

logos34
June 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
change 'howmany= ' (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#_howmanyall) option in menu.lst to '1'. Then run sudo update-grub.

Or manually comment out the older kernel entries in the 'automagic' section by putting a hash mark (#) at the beginning of each line

Ponhovo
June 13th, 2008, 11:29 PM
even there's no problems with the kernel itself, keep acumulating itens in the grub screen sucks x(
i would:
test if the older kernel version is avaiable and working
if not, i'd just delete the item from the list
else, i'd delete it anyway xD
not before asking x.x

Ponhovo
June 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
change 'howmany= ' (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#_howmanyall) option in menu.lst to '1'. Then run sudo update-grub.

even with ubuntu and winxp? and the mem test and safe boot?

logos34
June 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
even with ubuntu and winxp? and the mem test and safe boot?

yep. You'll be left with the current kernel along with the recovery, plus memtest86+. So three lines in all. Windows stanza will remain at bottom

thschiavo
June 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks for replies! I could not test yet your solutions (i´m in UNI now)... But I can answer that even my XP and my memtest are in GRUB, just below the 4 Ubuntu's... hehehe

And more... All the kernels are running ok... I was wondering... Isn't it using my HD memory with no use?...

Thanks again! : )

logos34
June 14th, 2008, 06:09 AM
All the kernels are running ok... I was wondering... Isn't it using my HD memory with no use?...

not sure I understand. You're only running one kernel at a time. And the other kernels take up hardly any disk space.

thschiavo
June 14th, 2008, 07:36 AM
not sure I understand.

Sure, sure... I do run only one at each time... but if I try to boot using other Kernel, it works...

(...) the other kernels take up hardly any disk space.
Uh, good information : ) So I will comment out the older kernel entries...