PDA

View Full Version : [other] Updating from Blender 2.45 to 2.46 in Ubuntu Studio...

Ninja Krow
June 13th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I am such a noob when it come to Linux and Ubuntu(Studio Flavored) that I'm not exactly sure how to go about updating the installation of blender.

I got Ubuntu Studio as it had all the Base set of Open Source Programs I used when I was running windows. The only thing left to convert to Open Source was the operating system so Ubuntu Studio was a good fit for me.

Ubuntu Studio come with Blender 2.46 preloaded when fully installed and I have found the hidden Folder /home/.blender/ on my drive. Now I don't know if I should really be messing around with that or not. and how to go about upgrading Blender from 2.45 to 2.46 stable.

Before you say it. Yes there is a real differance between 2.45 and 2.46 and yes I'm gonna need then for a project I'm working on for somebody else.

Well thank yoy for your time ahead of time.

Lostincyberspace
June 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
enable all the repositories in synaptic.

settings>>repositories and make sure all the boxes are check marked.

looks like it is not in there.
I will go through and show you how to install it from source.

download the package from
http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/blender.org/release/Blender2.46/blender-2.46-linux-glibc236-py25-i386.tar.bz2

extract it and then open the folder it created and double click on the file that says blender.

Ninja Krow
June 14th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Ok Downloaded and Clicked the icon that says blender. and sure enough blender popped up. but how do i over write the existing Install of blender to replace it with this newer version?...

Lostincyberspace
June 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
There are a variety of things you can do you can put the folder into /home/Username/bin and then add that to your path and Unistall Blender you will need to make an icon on the menu for it if you need help just tell me and I will help you tomorrow.
Follow this if you need to know how to add a placer to your path.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/prepostpath.htm