PDA

View Full Version : ffmpeg

maybeway36
June 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Has there ever been any litigation or threats against Linux/BSD distributions for including ffmpeg? It seems like the bigger the distribution, the less likely it is to come with MP3 and/or MPEG support.

kevin11951
June 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Has there ever been any litigation or threats against Linux/BSD distributions for including ffmpeg? It seems like the smaller the distribution, the less likely it is to come with MP3 and/or MPEG support.

what does ffmpeg have to do with mp3, or mpeg support, ffmpeg is a media conversion program, a very good media conversion program at that. :)

billgoldberg
June 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Has there ever been any litigation or threats against Linux/BSD distributions for including ffmpeg? It seems like the smaller the distribution, the less likely it is to come with MP3 and/or MPEG support.

On the mp3 and mpeg support I found that it is often the other way around.

samjh
June 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM

As far as I'm aware, there's been no effective legal challenge.

But in countries that implement software patents, the potential for legal problems are very much present.

bruce89
June 13th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Has there ever been any litigation or threats against Linux/BSD distributions for including ffmpeg?

For the record Ubuntu doesn't include by default any part of ffmpeg, and Ubuntu's ffmpeg is impaired.

SunnyRabbiera
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
On MP3:
Currently there is really nothing preventing the MP3 codec from being shipped, its exclusion is more of a precautionary matter as some nations have more strict laws about pre shipping the codec.
The owners of the MP3 codec seem to be neutral, but supportive of open source use of the codec provided its not used in a commercial sense.
But its sharky patent makes people worry about using it.
On this, there might be bigger legal issues then the MP3 codec...

maybeway36
June 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
On the mp3 and mpeg support I found that it is often the other way around.

That was what I meant, it was a typo.