PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting KDE

bmcase
June 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I am trying to put KDE4 on my laptop using synaptic; but I'm getting 404Error messages for 153 out of 200 packages. Worked fine for my PC; but 3 days of nada for the laptop. Has it been removed? Do I have to choose between an even older version and the new Beta?

soccerboy
June 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM
what command are you using to install it?
kubuntu-desktop or kde4

It should work. The version in the repos is current. 404 is a file not found so try to issue sudo apt-get update

bmcase
June 13th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I clicked on KDE4 in Synaptic Package Manager. But it keeps telling me that 153 of the 200 files needed are 404. I know that is a "fnf" error. And after 3 days in a row, I don't think that the files needed are on the server that synaptic thinks they are on. I'll try searching for "kubuntu desktop". What else should I try?

Thanks...

soccerboy
June 13th, 2008, 10:50 PM
It seems like the KDE4 packages are not all on there yet. They may be in the process of updating the packages in prepping for the .1 release.

soccerboy
June 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
by the way the other package is kubuntu-desktop which transforms your install to load kde by default as if you actually installed kubuntu from the cd.

xeth_delta
June 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I am trying to put KDE4 on my laptop using synaptic; but I'm getting 404Error messages for 153 out of 200 packages. Worked fine for my PC; but 3 days of nada for the laptop. Has it been removed? Do I have to choose between an even older version and the new Beta?

Try using a different set of repository mirrors. The ones you are using might be down.

bmcase
June 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Ok, seem to have better luck with that one. What about the partial install of kde4? I don't have a clue as to which 47 of the 200 got installed; so I don't know what to try to remove. Just hope they don't cause any trouble..?
Thanks...

soccerboy
June 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM
If you got a 404 error then none of them should have been installed. apt first downloads all packages then installs in one fell swoop.

eluminx
June 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I don't mean to jack the thread but, say for example i wanted to install kde4.1 is there anyway of keeping the various apps that get installed seperate from my gnome desktop? What i mean is if i install kde and i load a gnome session, all the kde apps appear in my gnome session menus. Is there anyway to make the two seperate without having to install the whole system again?