PDA

View Full Version : The spirit of open-source - aMSN, emesene and pymsn devs team up to create AMSN2!

Mazza558
June 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5299

Yes! :)

This news makes me very happy. Working together the devs of the various projects may be able to create the most powerful MSN client yet.

miggols99
June 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
That's pretty cool that they'll be a Gtk version for Gnome, Xfce etc, a Qt4 version for KDE and an EFL version for ones that want something a little different. So this is what it's like when open source works together...we should do this more :-P

Rashedul
June 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
This is great. AMSN was my msn client when I first switched to linux. That changed when I discovered Emesene. I loved the clean look and better integration. But I still kept AMSN since it is bit more stable, adding new contacts work better and has webcam support. The merge sounds awesome.

sidenote: I wonder if AMSN will have to change their name soon, similar to what GAIM did by becoming Pidgin.

billgoldberg
June 13th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I hope they improved the look of the Gtk front-end because it's looking a bit dull.

The reason I didn't use amsn was because there was no gtk support, so that's a good thing.

I hope that they will finally have decent webcam and voice-over-internet protocol (voip) support in amsn2.

odiseo77
June 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
That's great news! Although I've been using Mercury for about 3 years now and I found it to suit my needs better than any other MSN client, I'll surely try aMSN2 (or whatever its name will be) when it comes out.

SunnyRabbiera
June 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM
next to create something that works better for aim then aim for linux :D

FFighter
June 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Cool!

madjr
June 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
That's great news! Although I've been using Mercury for about 3 years now and I found it to suit my needs better than any other MSN client, I'll surely try aMSN2 (or whatever its name will be) when it comes out.

too bad mercury is so ugly by default (icon, theme, etc)

i don't recommend to my friends because of this.

emesene looks and works great.

aMSN2 should be like emesene and have webcam support like amsn

visionaire
June 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
cool! i used to love aMsn in gnome, but since i change to kde i preffer kopete,cause can use multiple accounts in the same instance

but, i will use aMSN any second

RiceMonster
June 14th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Cool, if it looks nice like Emesene does, then I'm definitely looking forward to it. aMSN is such an eyesore.

raul_
June 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Finally they're dumping Tk/Tcl

ad_267
June 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Yeah amsn just looked awful. I wouldn't mind using pidgin either but it's support for MSN isn't very good. Hopefully this will look a lot more like emesene. Also one feature in pidgin that emesene doesn't seem to have is having some convos tabbed and some in separate windows, not just a choice of one or the other.

It doesn't look like they're using GTK, it looks like only EFL from what I've seen. Maybe I'll just stick with emesene.

chris4585
July 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM
This is vary good news, I love amsn (mainly for the webcam support) but I like emesene for the gtk

doorknob60
July 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM
SOunds nice, but I'm sticking to Kopete. Multi protocol like Pidgin but Webcam support like aMSN :D And it integrates perfectly with KDE of course :)

etnlIcarus
July 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Love the idea of multiple frontends. May prove unmaintainable but no one has to worry about their OS/DE being left out in the cold.

Since the Emesene guys will be handling the GTK+ frontend, I know it's layout is going to be pretty sensible as well.