PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Seeking advice creating a custom (k)ubuntu installation

emanaton
June 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Greetings,

I'm seeking advice on how one might go about creating a custom Kubuntu installation. By this, I mean that I wish to install Kubuntu along with all of the specific programs and configuration changes that are needed for a developer box at my work place. Is it better to dabble in package management? I've never done this, and don't know that it would satisfy the configuration needs I have. Is it better to build a long bash script that runs through a recipe? I've done this sort of thing before, but am unsure if this is the best / preferred way to proceed in this instance.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated,

Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran
ubuntuforums @t emanaton d.t com

ChompTheMan
June 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
This article should help you: http://linuxfreedom-technoshaun.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-make-fully-customized-live-kde.html

In the article the author makes use of the ubuntu server install in order to avoid using Kubuntu's hidden default settings. If you don't care about that then I would suggest using a command-line base install with the alternate cd if you are looking to build from the base up.