PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Adding software updates via command line

ktechman
June 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I got so far using sudo aptitude from the terminal and searching for packages that the update manager reports "not all updated can be installed" then I hit a snag, it asks for the new package grouping mechanism??????? Any love out there today?

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM
From terminal[code sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade[/code] will upgrade you to what can be upgraded. From the screenshot, there is a dependency listed there which will not permit the installation of the packages you request.

ktechman
June 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thank you. Just for my info is the "red" area the problem conflicting with another package?

Regards

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM
From looking at the screenshot you posted, the -xine file depends on amarok being installed; but as I read it, installing amarok will break the system (admittedly, just gave it a quick read).

ktechman
June 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Amarok is installed and this is an update apparently. I upgraded one package(Lyricue) and it wiped my MSQL database, hated that one, but I am still learning here. Why would it say I needed Amarok if it is already installed? I do have backports listed on my software sources list, would that make the difference or be the key to my question.

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Do you also have the "proposed" repository enabled? If so, it (Amarok) may be being put out there for testing. In any event, you can uncheck the backports repository (and the proposed one as well) in your software sources list, reload the same, and see if there's still an upgrade to Amarok being offered.

ktechman
June 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
That worked but I am at a loss as to why when the same updates are showing for amarok?