PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Whats the best email client with imap support?

Tom--d
June 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I want to change email provider. Sick of Hotmail.

I want one with imap support and which is free. (or pop, i dont mind)

Also, where is the link to making an email address be able to use msn. I forgot what it is now. :(

Whats the best email provider with imap support and why?

Thanks,
Tom

Edit: I ment provider, not client. Sorry

helliewm
June 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I like Mulberry or Evolution. I am using Evolution at the moment as work send me appointments via their Calender function in Lotus Notes and one click and its in Evolution.

Thunderbird is quite nice too. Mulberry has excellent IMAP support.
It is open source.

http://www.mulberrymail.com/

Helen

Tom--d
June 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
ah no. Sorry my bad :(
I guess its not called client.

I mean, email provider. yeah, thats it :)

quinnten83
June 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
i use google, and i like it. It's free.
let me know if you need an invitation, i still got like a 100.

helliewm
June 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Then take a look at Fastmail http://www.fastmail.fm

Also if you used a email client like Mulberry you would not be worried about the storage space as you could download messages to your PC.

They do have a free account and although the free account does not have an SMTP server you could use google's smtp server for your email client eg Evolution, MUlberry.

There web mail is also with the free account.

IMAP comes with their account. They also have a a range of paid accounts.

I have been using them for about 5 years now. They are excellent. IMAP is well supported. They are worth paying for.

ellis rowell
June 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Most email providers should provide IMAP as well as POP. I use IMAP on my own domains as well as Tiscali. The difference between IMAP and POP is that with IMAP you do not download the file onto your computer (it stays on the server). If you start the computer without logging on to the internet you cannot read the files.

kernelhaxor
June 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
i use google, and i like it. It's free.
let me know if you need an invitation, i still got like a 100.

Invitations are not needed anymore .. Registration is free and open ..
Yes, Gmail is the best email provider with imap support!

geoken
June 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Most email providers should provide IMAP as well as POP. I use IMAP on my own domains as well as Tiscali. The difference between IMAP and POP is that with IMAP you do not download the file onto your computer (it stays on the server). If you start the computer without logging on to the internet you cannot read the files.

That is all at the discretion of the client. Most clients by default will download all meassages for offline viewing. If I start evolution and diconect my computer from the internet I will be able to read all my email.

The actual difference between pop and imap is that imap supports various synchronization fetaures. For example, if you read a message on your imap email client, then view the same message from a different client the message will be marked as "read" because that information can be sent through the imap protocol.

geoken
June 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Go with Gmail, they're the best.

Their servers are super fast, they suport plenty of imap features (sub folders, marked messages, etc), their online client is great, they'll let you pull in pop email from other accounts, etc.

The last point in the above paragraph is of especial importance to people migrating from a different email provider. Basically you can tell gmail to pull pop mail from your old account. This will let you transition to gmail, without missing any emails from people who are still sending stuff to your hotmail account.

damoxc
June 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
You'll want to go to http://www.passport.net to make the email address usable on msn.

I also recommend gmail. Been using it for years now. Just keeps getting better.

x1a4
June 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Google +1

Kernel Sanders
June 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Gmail FTW

karellen
June 14th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Gmail, of course

Npl
June 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Opera

Edit: just realized now you are sasking for a provider.

SunnyRabbiera
June 14th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Opera

Edit: just realized now you are sasking for a provider.

yes though opera has its own webmail serivce, and yes it has a imap frontend.

dross_kuh
June 14th, 2008, 12:26 AM
gmail... great for everything. :)

did some sad say passport.net :/ nah i must a bin seeing thangs ;)

michaelzap
June 14th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I use and recommend and love Google Apps for Domains. But keep in mind that it's not 100% IMAP-compliant and some of Gmail's special features can cause confusion if you're not expecting them. In particular the fact that Gmail uses labels (not folders) can mean that if you copy a message to another folder using your IMAP client program and then delete one of the copies, both messages disappear (since they're really the same message tagged with two different labels, not two messages in separate folders).

ben_johnson
July 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
What about mailpicker? I use it for about 6 monthes and it works fine for me. You can manage all your mail in one place.

le singe
August 13th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I am also recommending Fastmail.

If you're not against paying (only $20 a year, which is only a few lunches out, or a couple of new records, or a round of drinks at a bar...) it's really great. There are no advertisements whatsoever, you can create subfolders to redirect, say, all email from @suchandsuch.com, or all email with a particular something in the title. It works great for mailing lists and organizing mail from school, work, or other places. I don't know... is this feature a standard now with most email providers?

What else is cool is a notes section letting you create any number of simple text notes. I sometimes put links there I'd like to access when I'm not on my own computer. And there is a file section where you can upload things.... when I was finishing school this worked very well for me as I didn't have a printer and printed everything on campus... it's a cleaner way of giving yourself files than emailing yourself from a second account (and you may not have a second account). It just dawned on me that you could always use a USB storage device (but that cost money).

I don't work for them (I know that's a trend now, advertisers posing as enthusiasts, hyping a product online in forums and chat rooms - it's an interesting read/watch if you haven't heard of it) I just like their program and I was actually doing a search to see if many other people know about them.

Its only downside is that the free account doesn't give much space, and ideally the perfect anything (OS, email provider, internet browser) should be totally free and not require a paid account to fully take advantage of everything.

Anyone else use Fastmail? It doesn't seem too popular...

helliewm
August 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Yes I use them, have done for about 5 years now. I completely agree with you, they are brilliant. When I had a problem a real life person helped me:)

They are absolutely definitely worth paying for.

Helen

bigyoy
August 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I never realised you could configure gmail to pull in IMAP from other accounts - I might give this a try.

If you're after a client, then I've been using Thunderbird for years and I think it's pretty decent.

faust99
September 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Go with Gmail, they're the best.

Their servers are super fast, they suport plenty of imap features (sub folders, marked messages, etc), their online client is great, they'll let you pull in pop email from other accounts, etc.

The last point in the above paragraph is of especial importance to people migrating from a different email provider. Basically you can tell gmail to pull pop mail from your old account. This will let you transition to gmail, without missing any emails from people who are still sending stuff to your hotmail account.

How can you say that anything is "the best"?? Does it not depend on your needs or intentions? Or are you secretly advertising for google :)? There are plenty of other imap providers that have what gmail does, plus other features not offered by google mail (which is not to say gmail is inferior, overall). Blanket statements about this or that being the best serve mainly to justify or support one particular view or system. I'm sure you'd know what I meant if I said, "Windoze is the best" :lolflag:

lukeyduke
December 23rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
OK here is what I recommend,

Get a gmail account from www.gmail.com,
but, don't use the gmail webmail because i dont like it...

Follow this guide --> http://atmail.com/kb/2008/installing-atmail-open-webmail-client-on-ubuntu/

to install the atmail webmail client on a server of yours, I started using it a while ago and I've never looked back.

Luke

MikeTheC
December 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
GMail FTW!!!