PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest things you've heard from a non-Linux user

magnus0
June 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Here are some:

Linux doesn't have a desktop, like XP?
Linux sucks! I like Ubuntu.

Here's a very funny forum conversation I had with a guy, who obviously is a total newbie:

John: I have Linux and I can't download Limewire. I've heard it's possible and I've tried many times, but it doesn't work!

Me: First of all, what distro you have? You can just go to Limewire's homepage and download the deb file.

John: I have downloaded many times from there, but it doesn't let me unpack or do anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Me: Tell me, what distro you have, maybe then i can help!
I understand that you downloaded the file? Move it to Desktop.
Paste this into terminal and press enter:
cd Desktop && sudo dpkg -i LimeWireLinux.deb

John: Linux doesn't have a desktop, like XP?

Me: Of course not.
Me: You can try this. Paste this into terminal and press enter:
sudo wget http://www9.limewire.com/download/LimeWireLinux.deb && sudo dpkg -i LimeWireLinux.deb

John: What is terminal? That bar, where I paste the address? I tried it and it tells me page not found! What do i do now?

fatality_uk
June 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Not really th Ubuntu spirit is it!

When it comes to using a new OS, if you offer to help, you have to realise that you might need to be more patient with that user as they may have been used to doing things the Windows for a long time.

Joeb454
June 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
not Really Th Ubuntu Spirit Is It!

+1

melrom
June 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
agreed. don't forget that you were new once too!

forestpixie
June 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
One of the things I saw once was this

Why is KDE 4 desktop to stupid? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=808504)

Not really th Ubuntu spirit is it!

+1

BlueSkyNIS
June 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
not Really Th Ubuntu Spirit Is It!

+1

chucky chuckaluck
June 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
if there were a lot of documentation explicitly laying out linux for the beginner and were linux mainstream, i would feel a little more like making light of the misinformed. but, linux isn't mainstream and it doesn't, as a whole, have a great rep for wanting to inform the newb, so i kind of think it's a bit silly.

tuebinger
June 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Heard at an office party from a co-worker's husband who installs hardware and software for AT&T: "The problem with using Linux and Mac is that you don't have to think logically."

I guess we're all just so illogical!!!

bapoumba
June 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
You can blame it on my poor sense of humor, thread closed.