PDA

View Full Version : SCIM development documentation?

sorlok_reaves
June 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hello all,
I've been using Ubuntu for a while (since Dapper), and I mostly like it. As is always the case, this has led me to start developments of my own to address the things I find lacking. :)

I'm running into a big hurdle with SCIM, however. I'm trying to make a plugin for a language not in the Ubuntu repository. It's a romanised input system, so it needs some graphical means of prompting users to choose the most likely word --kind of like pinyin in Chinese. I've already made a plugin for Windows, but I just can't get started on the SCIM port --it's too hard! The simple tutorials (tables and M17N) are way below the functionality I need, and reading the source packages for Chinese and Japanese is taking me forever (they're huge projects). I even looked for some books on Amazon and at the library, but there's nothing there.

I'm a capable programmer, but I am clueless as to the infrastructure and API SCIM extends to developers. Can anyone point me in the right direction, either with some links or by exchanging a few pointers? A short, vertical tutorial would be awesome, and I'm more than willing to do my own dirty work --the Windows plugin was no cakewalk, let me tell you...

In the past, I've always found the answers on this forum, but this is the first time I've had to start my own thread. I hopefully await your replies.

Thanks,
-->Seth