PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Login Geometry Wrong

smflorkey
June 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
The boot progress display is nice and crisp with a nice, round xubuntu logo. Then it switches to the login screen and the logo gets a little oval and the lines are not so crisp any more. After I log in it goes back to native resolution for this LCD panel, 1280x1024, and the circles are round again. What do I have to do to clean up the login screen (gdm?)?

TIA,
Steve

dstew
June 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, there is a list of modes in the Display subsection. The login sceen I think uses whatever is first in that list as its resolution. If you edit the file, and switch the first mode for one of the others, you might get a better login screen.

If you have ATI drivers, you might be able to do the same thing with the aticonfig program. I am not sure it works for Xubuntu though. See this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=359310).

smflorkey
June 15th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the link to that other thread; I had not found that one yet. My card is an old ATI Radeon 7000 -- too old for the current, fancy ATI drivers that include aticonfig. I tried installing fglrx, but it did not run on this old card.

My Section "Screen" did not have SubSection "Display" so I added it with the default depth and only 1280x1024 on the Modes line, but that did not change the login display geometry. Still, it was a good thought, well worth trying.
--
xubuntu 8.04 Sempron 2800+ 256MB RAM 80GB /dev/sda