PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help - can't install Ubuntu

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu. Trying to install it on my new system - it shows the installation bar and then hangs at approximately 75-80% :(

AMD 6000+, Crosshair, 2GB RAM, 80GB SATA HDD, ATI All-in-Wonder. No Raid or any other special stuff.

Ubuntu downloaded CD, 7.10, CD check shows no errors.

Update:
Once I've just got error message along with other stuff on the screen:

"error receiving uevent message: no buffer space avalable."

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:18 AM
try to start live cd in recovery mode..i dont remember in 7.10 but should be a verbose option or recovery or diagnostic mode. should give you some messages as to the reason it may be freezing.

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
It only shows option "start in safe graphics mode" I'll try it right now.
...exact same thig :( - bar stops under letter N in "UBUNTU".

Worst of all, I've installed XP day before without any problems in 10 mins :(
(Now there's another HDD, it's empty)

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM
no there should be another option like when you are about press start or install ubuntu.. should be something on the bottom of the screen with boot options..

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM
when you do find that... if you have a digital camera try uploading a picture of that to this thread.

or maybe someone else has a better idea, idk. its not like you can go fetch a log you havent even installed the system.. there is no way to get the logs. so try to write down what you see on the screen when the diagnostics show... and write them down here... or use a dig. camera

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
The other thing I have F6, when I press it some kind of command line appears:

"Boot options t=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz quiet splash--|"

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
or try this... when you have "start or install ubuntu" selected if you see a bunch of stuff written on the bottom of the screen edit that after you see "Quiet Splash" add "-v" after it. I am not sure if that is it but try anyways.

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
The other thing I have F6, when I press it some kind of command line appears:

"Boot options t=casper initrd=casper/initrd.gz quiet splash--|"

yes try to add -v after that command. if that doesnt work... delete quiet splash--| all together and replace it with "-v" not sure this will work however im not an expert on this.. just trying to help best i can... hopefully someone who really knows their stuff will help.

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
I pressed F6 and removed "quiet splash" and I've got this

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:43 AM
ya unknown boot option... did you try the "-v"? other than that I don't know.

Sorry, I hope someone else comes along to help... but i gotta go, gl

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks anyway.

Here's result with "-v" (it showed many errors when was running as far as I could see :), here's final screen when it stopped)

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 06:54 AM
aha better results it looks like... well thats all i know i just wanted you to post something that some expert on ubuntu can look at and analyze and hopefully come up with a conclusion...

anyways, peace out I hope you get it working..

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Anyone? Should I go back to Windows?
BTW, I've downloaded CD one more time - file "ubuntu-7.10-alternate-amd64.iso", burned it, same thing, hangs.

Avenger1432
June 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
try the 32 bit.. not 64 bit... you dont have over 3 gigs of ram... you dont need the 64 bit.

But other than that, where the heck is the ubuntu support community!!! Same thing is happening with my thread in general help.

Where is the support community?!

P.S. also try the normal not Alternate CD...

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Since you are using 7.10, press F6, and at the end of that boot line add the parameter all-generic-ide then continue.

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
It started wit "all-generic-ide", but there's no applications, nothing, just wallpaper, and when I was trying to change wallpaper, system hang... Second time it didn't start at all, just hang angain...

ktechman
June 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Try reburning the cd in 1x mode it worked for me.

Cheers

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Here's last time I tryed it yesterday and just now, with "all-generic-ide"

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I am aware that 7.10 had a problem with correct handling of ide drives (I know you are not using ppc, but we had to do something similar on that platform to get things to boot). Are you using the Live CD or the alternate one?

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
8.04 took care of the ide problem, BTW. Is there a good reason that you are trying 7.10 instead?

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Well, people say 8.04 has too many glitches yet, but it looks like 7.10 not any better...Very sad, I was so hoping to ged rid of POS XP, but looks like I'll have to stay with it...

I'm using alternate CD right now, yesterday it was live CD, I think (I downloaded it few months ago).

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Understand what you are saying. If you can get 7.10 installed, there are many updates and fixes around. For me, 8.04 has proven to be much more trouble free than 7.10 was.

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
So, no any other suggestions?..

avtolle
June 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Glancing at your system specs, something which is likely causing some problems on 7.10 install and may cause a problem on an 8.04 install is the SATA drive set up. That's why (among other things, including the IDE detection problem) I suggested the boot parameter. From reading one of your earlier posts, as I understand it, when you tried that again on a restart, it didn't work. I will suggest that after restarting the computer, that you do try rebooting with the "all-generic-ide" boot parameter one more time to see whether it gets you into the installation routine. I'll ponder a bit, and post with any other thoughts that may occur.

EDIT: If you get it up to the desktop again, don't try to change the wallpaper, etc., until you download and install all upgrades into your system. That may clear some things up.

ranchero
June 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I've disconnedted HDD and trying to run it with "all-generic-ide" but still no success...

Pumalite
June 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Tyr any of these alone or in different combinations:
noapic nolapic acpi=off pci=noacpi irqpoll pnpbios=off vga=0x317

ranchero
June 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Wow! I've downloaded 8.04, and it run right away!
I've even burned iso on DVD-RW, not on CD.
Anyway, even wireless was recognized instantly and connected.
But all I have - blank desktop, what should I do next? How I download updates and install programs?

Should I install Ubuntu first? (Right now it's running as liveCD)

ranchero
June 14th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Update - I've pushed "Help" and it hang again :( What the f.

Could that be because system was a little overclocked (5%, it was flawless in XP)?
I've run it second time not overclocked - now Help opens, but I don't know, what glitch to expect next ...

ranchero
June 14th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Well, it was nice try, but I think this thig's just useless for average user right now...After an hour of trying to do SOMETHING I figured that part of the desktop with buttons wasn't even on the screen with default resolution! Somehow I managed to download and install video drivers and to change resolution to 1152x864, than system became slow as Pentium 2! And after restart it changes settings so desktop is not aligned on the screen again... I guess the whole thing just too good to be true.

Avenger1432
June 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Good to see it worked... kind of...

Pumalite
June 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah...I was sure the OP was ranchero.