PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Entire Ubuntu menu, task bar have dissappeared!!

spraveenitpro
June 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Hi

My Entire Menu bar consisting of 'places,system,preferences' and the task bar have disappeared. I am unable to launch any program or do anything. Alt-f2 also does not work.

praveen.

abhiroopb
June 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM
right click on the desktop, select "terminal" type in the following:

gnome-panel

More information: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156602

spraveenitpro
June 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thank You, it worked!!!

alktlkbck
June 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I need some help

I delete a file from desktop and lost panels

I have try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-panel

gnome-panel

rm -rt .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gonfd .metacity

can only get to a terminal ctrl+alt+f1to get back to desktop ctrl+alt+f7

rhardie
June 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I just tried these things and none of them work. Upon attempting to re-install gnome-penel, I receive error code:

"Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that the package is simply not installable and a bug report against the package should be filed.

The following information may hale to resolve the situaiton:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-panel: Depends" gnome-control-center (>=1:2.8.2-3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages"

My gnome was working just fine until, in the flicker of an eye, it just have me with wall paper on the screen and no task bar.

rainwalker
June 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Try installing the "gnome-control-center" package, and then reinstall gnome-panel

rhardie
June 24th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I did attempt the gnome-control-center and it too failed to load due to dependencies.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I can power the sytem down, go watch a movie have a few vodka shots and like magic it will fix itself. Naaaaaa. Probably not. But the, maybe I won't really care by that time. ;-)

rhardie
June 24th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I did attempt the gnome-control-center and it too failed to load due to dependencies.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I can power the sytem down, go watch a movie have a few vodka shots and like magic it will fix itself. Naaaaaa. Probably not. But the, maybe I won't really care by that time. ;-)

Hey, that actually did work once!

愛 am best
March 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm having the same problem too and did the guides that have been written above me but nothing is working! ](*,)

i tried turning off the compiz but it only gives me this error:

window manager error : unable to open X display

Help please T_T

Don't tell me i have to reinstall my Linux Mint :(

FYI: I have to open the Terminal by Ctr+Alt+F1 'cause opening Terminal using the right-click mouse won't work either T_T

UbuntuNerd
March 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
can you guys try my solution Im almost sure it will work:
first copy this code to a piece of paper

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel
make sure you leave spaces where spaces are in the code or it won't work.
next hit (Ctrl+Alt+f1) to get to the terminal. log in and enter your password, then enter the first line of the code follow by enter then the second line follow by enter then the third. hit (alt f7) to get back to your desktop to see if it work

愛 am best
March 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
@UbuntuNerd

Apparently it doesn't work for me :(

UbuntuNerd
March 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
@UbuntuNerd

Apparently it doesn't work for me :(
I know Linux Mint is similar to Ubuntu but I don't know that the code I provided will work for you. I know for sure it works in Ubuntu, and usually if this code didn't restore your panels(task bar) the next think I usually try is reinstalling the desktop "not the whole OS"
in Ubuntu's case this will be the code in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

mister_p_1998
March 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah,
my three-year-old did that I leave my machine on all day, and he was "Typing like Daddy" and hit the del key!
I now use a screen saver that locks the keyboard!

愛 am best
March 11th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I've asked for help in the mint forum and one of the members suggested this:

su

cd /etc/X11

ls

Now, do you have a backup xorg.conf? If so you do this:

mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.wacom

mv xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf

init 6

But sadly the su command doesn't work in the terminal from ctr+alt+f1... and it says init 6 has to be root.

this sucks, all i did was just installing wacom bamboo fun and one day, KABOOM! My mint desktop turns out this way :(