PDA

View Full Version : So I got a 52" tv today for free...

bsharp
June 13th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Because my neighbors were throwing it away. Obviously, it isn't perfect condition, but it works-somewhat. It is a Sony KP53V25 rear-projection TV, and is 13 years old.

The speakers work and give very good quality sound, and as you can see from the attachment below the picture works, except towards the bottom where the picture angles in.

I suspect that either the mirror or the projection tubes shifted and cause a misalignment, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone had any advice before I end up killing it for good (which is probably what will happen anyway :rolleyes:).

I know it is old, I know there are better technologies, but that isn't the point. My brother and I have 20" tvs in our rooms and it would feel amazingly good if he gets home and sees my new big screen that I got free :)

amingv
June 13th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Be completely sure you know what you're doing if you're going inside that monster.
Tube-TVs have components that generate high voltage, proceed with care (or don't proceed at all)

nick09
June 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM
If you can't repair it send it to a recycling place as that its better for the environment and the parts can be reused.

bsharp
June 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
amingv:

Yes I understand, that's why I'm asking :)

nick09:

If I can't get it working I was thinking about dumping it via freecycle.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I would go about fixing this?

rune0077
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Start here: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/tvfaq.htm#tvcrt

That should keep you awake all night :)

bsharp
June 13th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the link, here are more pictures (better quality) that may clarify the problem more...