PDA

View Full Version : Vista versus Ubuntu

ibbill
June 13th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Nice article note they were comparing it to fiesty.

http://www.vistanews.com/JT07T2/080612-Vista-vs-Ubuntu

Bill

Joeb454
June 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Nice find - a little on the old side, but hey :) Though as it's not a support request I've asked a mod to move it to the Community Cafe :)

stalkier
June 13th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Nice article note they were comparing it to fiesty.

http://www.vistanews.com/JT07T2/080612-Vista-vs-Ubuntu

Bill

Thanks Bill for good reading. Too bad he didn't compare 8.04 to Vista. I have had no problems so far.

gr4nf
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Also note that they leave out the fact of cost, of both the OS and other software. It is my understanding that Ubuntu is rather inexpensive in comparison to Vista.

gatorbrit
June 13th, 2008, 02:13 AM
One feature they list on windows is the indexing feature. This is so annoying I turned if off on my Vista box. Basically the hard drive is churning all the time as vista is frantically trying to index everything. While it is running it slows everything else down.

The big one that they missed also is that vista won't work on many PCs because it is too demanding. Talk about hardware incompatability!

Ripfox
June 13th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Also note that they leave out the fact of cost, of both the OS and other software. It is my understanding that Ubuntu is rather inexpensive in comparison to Vista.

Ya think? :lolflag:

Ubuntu has never cost me one thin dime...:)

Zenze
June 13th, 2008, 02:43 AM
The article failed to talk about security or stability at all. Besides, Vista is so bloated its just infuriating.

mdsmedia
June 13th, 2008, 02:43 AM
He talks about Windows handling hardware more elegantly. Granted, he was just comparing how the systems compare for Granny, but WHY does Windows handle hardware "more elegantly"? Windows wouldn't handle hardware at all if the manufacturers didn't provide the drivers.

Yes, Vista handles more hardware more elegantly but Linux supports more out of the box than Windows goes even close to. Throw away those Windows driver CDs and then compare the two OSes.

wPwLUi3N
June 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
The article failed to talk about security or stability at all. Besides, Vista is so bloated its just infuriating.

Absolutely true, I hate bloated softwares, they tend to do everything except the things they were meant to do.

housam
June 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
+ this compare is short. what about the viruses, worms and Trojans ? what about the regularity of system hanging and crashing?
What about the cost of each individual application you want to use ?

jimv
June 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Actually, Vista isn't that bad once you turn off all of the stuff you don't need...the same as with Ubuntu. Vista is still a bit of a resource hog, but after turning off a bunch of services, ditching the firewall and the AV, and turning off all the programs that didn't need to be starting up, Vista is pretty quick.

Rhubarb
June 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
... but after turning off a bunch of services, ditching the firewall and the AV ...
... and change the background to a big sign that says "hack me"

wootah
June 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Arrg... like 8 different pages. I hate sites that do that for more ad placements :(

jimv
June 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
... and change the background to a big sign that says "hack me"

Actually, no. With services disabled, there are much fewer ports open to the network...which reduces my chances of getting compromised. I also have a router with a firewall that shields my network from the outside world. I don't use IE, I don't open attachments that I'm not expecting, and I don't mess around with pirated software. So really, I'm not opening myself to getting hacked anymore than with a Linux box.

The "Windows is teh isecurez!" FUD is inaccurate and getting old. It's not a contest between Windows and Linux...it's really not. Use whatever solution works best for YOU.

That said, I like Linux because it's lite, free, and very customizable. I like Windows for playing mah games.

wootah
June 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Actually, no. With services disabled, there are much fewer ports open to the network...which reduces my chances of getting compromised. I also have a router with a firewall that shields my network from the outside world. I don't use IE, I don't open attachments that I'm not expecting, and I don't mess around with pirated software. So really, I'm not opening myself to getting hacked anymore than with a Linux box.

The "Windows is teh isecurez!" FUD is inaccurate and getting old. It's not a contest between Windows and Linux...it's really not. Use whatever solution works best for YOU.

That said, I like Linux because it's lite, free, and very customizable. I like Windows for playing mah games.

teh lawlz.

TwiceOver
June 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I actually use both Vista and Ubuntu and have machines of both at work and at home.

I think the interresting point is that while this article was written over a year ago, Ubuntu has progressed. I cannot say the same about Vista. I don't administer a whole crap load of machines, but I'm already looking to downgrade the three Vista machines we have back to XP.