PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Paradigm

Sinkingships7
June 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Just a quick and (hopefully) simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere else:

Which is faster - sending messages to objects, or calling functions?

If the answer depends on the language, I'm currently pretty far in my studies with C++, so this is the language of which I'm specifically referring to.

Perhaps an example?

Say I wanted to find out the length of a string. Let's also say that I have a pre-written class that defines various string manipulation functions, one of which is to find the length of a string with a method called "string_length".

Which way is faster:

a.) my_string_length = strlen(my_string);
OR
b.) my_string_length = string_object.string_length(my_string);

For you picky people out there, I'm referring to execution time, not speed of development.

slavik
June 13th, 2008, 12:31 AM
OO is pretty much what is called syntactic sugar.

OO:
string str = "hello";
int length = str.length();

C-like:
char str[] = "hello";
int length = strlen(str);

the above will be executed at the same speed. OO gives a performance penalty when the only way to know for sure when to call a method is during run-time. in other words, when you have a class inheriting some other class but it caries a pointer of the class it inherited from.

mike_g
June 13th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Well with both a and b you are calling a function. Any difference in speed would be mainly down to how the different functions work internally. The standard functions (IE: strlen in C) tend to be very fast.

If you have your own string class, you could add a variable that holds the string length and only update it when the string changes. If the custom function does nothing more than get a variable it should be faster then calling strlen().

If its important you could always run both functions several million times and see what comes out faster.

Sinkingships7
June 13th, 2008, 12:54 AM
If its important you could always run both functions several million times and see what comes out faster.

:lolflag:

What's funnier is that I think I just might do that...

Jessehk
June 13th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I don't know much about the internals of C++, but I do know a little bit. In this case, I can tell you that if a function is declared virtual in C++ (that is, declared so that it can be redefined in a derived class) , than every time it is called, there is a bit of overhead since the compiler has to do some sort of table lookup.

Other than that, I would guess that the time would be equivalent.

Zugzwang
June 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Which way is faster:

a.) my_string_length = strlen(my_string);
OR
b.) my_string_length = string_object.string_length(my_string);

It depends: If the "string_length" function of string_object is static, than it's totally equivalent. If you meant "my_string.string_length()" instead of "string_object.string_length(my_string)", then it's equivalent, too (provided that string_length is non-virtual, as Jessehk wrote). If however you really meant "string_object.string_length(my_string)" and string_length is *not* a static member of string_object or its underlying class, then "string_object.string_length(my_string)" is slower since internally this is a call to string_object::string_length(string_object *this, whatever my_string), so two parameters are passed.

Also if my_string is not a pointer type please keep in mind that the string might be duplicated when calling (copy-constructor called).

Paul Miller
June 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM
On modern hardware, the difference is negligible.