PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome no title bar

metalmaniac248
June 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
hi there

before i start i am very new to Ubuntu,

my problem is that when i active the gl desktop and desktop effects and all that fancy looking stuff, my title bar disappears (im not sure if title is the right name i am talking about the thing with the close maximize minimize)

also, as far as i can tell the problem arose when i tried to set up dual screen, i was following this tutorial on how to do it

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dual-monitors-with-nvidia.html

i think i must have put something in the wrong place or something, and after i rebooted, the x window thing wouldn't run. So i was stuck with the white letters black background code screen (like what you see when you first turn your machine on) i managed to fix this by doing the restore thing on the tutorial

but since then gnome has been removing my title bar

any help would be greatly appreciated, i am very determined to stick with Linux

thanks in advance

wootah
June 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
hi there

before i start i am very new to Ubuntu,

my problem is that when i active the gl desktop and desktop effects and all that fancy looking stuff, my title bar disappears (im not sure if title is the right name i am talking about the thing with the close maximize minimize)

also, as far as i can tell the problem arose when i tried to set up dual screen, i was following this tutorial on how to do it

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/dual-monitors-with-nvidia.html

i think i must have put something in the wrong place or something, and after i rebooted, the x window thing wouldn't run. So i was stuck with the white letters black background code screen (like what you see when you first turn your machine on) i managed to fix this by doing the restore thing on the tutorial

but since then gnome has been removing my title bar

any help would be greatly appreciated, i am very determined to stick with Linux

thanks in advance

You lost your Window Manager [metacity] (the program that draws the title bar, buttons for closing (minimizing and maximizing), sizing handles, etc).

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
metacity --replace &
ALT-F2
(close the terminal now, but leave the run menu open. You should loose the title bars and what not)
metacity --replace

Things should be ok now. At this point, save your session (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/make-ubuntu-automatically-save-changes-to-your-session/)

Good Luck! :)

metalmaniac248
June 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
hi

thanks for your quick response i did what you said, my title bar is back but now my beryl effects dont work

wootah
June 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM
hi

thanks for your quick response i did what you said, my title bar is back but now my beryl effects dont work

I assume by beryl you mean compiz? What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Were the effects successfully enabled? If so, instead of doing the above steps with metacity, use emerald.

So:

emerald --replace
:popcorn:

soccerboy
June 13th, 2008, 10:47 PM
did you get the dual monitor setup working or are you still in limbo? If so, did you undo all the changes you made when trying to setup dual monitor?

metalmaniac248
June 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I assume by beryl you mean compiz?
[/code]:popcorn:

actually it is beryl, i have compiz but the effects from that don't apply

i'm using feisty fawn 7.04

i tried the emerald thing but my beryl effects still don't work

Were the effects successfully enabled?

they were before i did the metacity thing, but of course i had no title bar
then once i did the metacity thing my effects didn't work
and the emerald thing hasn't done anything except from add something called emerald themes manager to my preferences menu

metalmaniac248
June 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM
did you get the dual monitor setup working or are you still in limbo?

i never got it set up no, because after i initialy tried it x window manager broke and when i finaly fixed it i decided not to bother with the dual screen set up for fear of breaking it again

If so, did you undo all the changes you made when trying to setup dual monitor?

no i didnt because i didnt know how, as im sure you've probably gathered im not very confident with ubuntu......yet

metalmaniac248
June 15th, 2008, 02:57 AM
im now running compiz,
still no title bar
emerald theme manager dosn't apply themes
i found what could be a solution to my problem by googling it said to enter this code

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24
into terminal, but when i open terminal when compiz is aplied, i cannot see any text in terminal and i have tried just typing everything in any way but no luck

metalmaniac248
June 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
sorry actually that script did work just had to reboot

Wulvor
June 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I actually have this exact issue, but am using an ATI Card. I didn't know if I should start a new thread in the Noob forum or not.

Installed the restricted drivers, everything worked fine. Rebooted, ran displayconfig-gtk to set up my second monitor, put the settings in, reboot, and got the second monitor at the proper resolution. My problem now is I have 2 Monitors, but no Window manager I guess. If I unhook the second monitor and restart X, everything is fine. I installed Emerald, again on a single monitor it works fine, as soon as I hook the second monitor up and restart, I can't move any windows etc.
Tried the emerald --replace command in a terminal when in dual monitor mode, but it just comes up with an error.
Everything works great until I hook up the second screen. I would try the command listed above but I am running an ATI card, not nvidia.

Sorry, I have been using Suse and Fedora for a while, so new to Ubuntu etc.

Edit** Forgot to add I am using the newest patched version of Ubuntu

pure0z
June 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
im now running compiz,
still no title bar
emerald theme manager dosn't apply themes
i found what could be a solution to my problem by googling it said to enter this code

into terminal, but when i open terminal when compiz is aplied, i cannot see any text in terminal and i have tried just typing everything in any way but no luck

Mate I had the exact same issues as you right down to not being able to type in the terminal window....what a bugger this was.
But just the same as you after a restart I had the issue licked.

worked a treat, THANKS VERY MUCH

Wulvor
June 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I wish I could find something I could pop into a terminal for the same problem with ATI :(

metalmaniac248
July 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
erm im not exactly a ubuntu expert yet but have tried the comand i posted and replacing nVidia with ati

just a thort please anyone tell me iff this is wrong

metalmaniac248
July 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
oh ****, sorry folks didnt see the second page

:lolflag: