June 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I will get it now

I already have the beta

Regards

Rob

urukrama
June 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm very happy to see they gave some more attention to Opera's mail client. :D

See the changelog (http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/linux/950/).

Swarms
June 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Why does it theme so bad with Ubuntu?

Npl
June 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Why does it theme so bad with Ubuntu?Apparently its supposed to theme well with Vista :(
Its skinnable, and you can use the old skin (attached). Install it with
sudo install -m 644 classic_skin.zip /usr/share/opera/skin and you should be able to choose it.

Im using 9.50 (betas) for a long time, and Im happy that finally theres a release-version that can push the old 9.27 away in the repositories, even though it still has lots of little issues.

mthei
June 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the new skin either, but if you choose the "native skin" option, it looks pretty good.
The last few betas had some heavy memory issues, and it's nice to see that it's been taken care of for the final release.
Having used Opera for maybe about two years (long after you had to pay for it to use it without ads), it's good to see the developers making so much progress without compromising the browser so much. Okay, it only gets 83% on the Acid3, but that's a javascript-heavy test, and I usually have it disabled anyway.
But yeah, that default skin...*shudder*.

SunnyRabbiera
June 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yeh the new skin sucks, too vista like and unoriginal.
thank goodness the old theme is downloadable

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Just installed. I had no problems with the b2, but I truest Opera not to break (unlike another browser...)

Installed, and everything is the same (all settings, skins, etc).

Opera is the best browser.

SunnyRabbiera
June 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Just installed. I had no problems with the b2, but I truest Opera not to break (unlike another browser...)

Installed, and everything is the same (all settings, skins, etc).

Opera is the best browser.

but its linux integration sucks

Kingsley
June 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Opera 9.5 still doesn't work properly with Yahoo Mail or Facebook.

laxmanb
June 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm using Vista right now. Opera 9.5 is Alternative Browser heaven!!

Firefox 3 is still buggy for me. (And it's in RC stage *shudder*)

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM
but its linux integration sucks

I don't know what that means. It intergrates perfectly for me.

Perhaps it is Yahoo mail and Facebook that don't work properly. Opera supports standards to a high degree.

I have written 100% standard code, which works on Opera, but not Firefox. Don't blame the browser for poor design.

chucky chuckaluck
June 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
i think it looks pretty good. i think vista looks good, though (i don't think the look is the problem with vista).

Tomatz
June 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Fine here??

Tomatz
June 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Have you set the path to java in the settings? That may be the problem.

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
i think it looks pretty good. i think vista looks good, though (i don't think the look is the problem with vista).

I haven't seen it yet. My .opera directory is being used and it has all my settings.

http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=644

Tomatz
June 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
lix-1_5 is a nice skin. If you like dark skins.

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
lix-1_5 is a nice skin. If you like dark skins.

Nice it is.

However, I like my DOS theme, it goes well with my tastes.

karellen
June 12th, 2008, 08:12 PM

I second this...

Tomatz
June 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Nice it is.

However, I like my DOS theme, it goes well with my tastes.

Do you have a link?

Sukarn
June 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Do you have a link?

Go to Tools -> Appearance

Click on Find More Skins

Its on the second page, I think.

cardinals_fan
June 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Because it's a Qt app, and Ubuntu ships with GNOME. Looks great on SLAX!

chucky chuckaluck
June 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM
does this version seem less owned by kde settings to you guys?

jomiolto
June 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not very fond of opera, as my ears don't seem to like it very much. All the loud, high singing, you know...

I love Opera because of Wand.

Magical opera? That might be interesting!

cardinals_fan
June 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
does this version seem less owned by kde settings to you guys?
*shrugs*

It's the best Opera yet. And that says a lot.

vs8
June 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hey people I need to uninstall Opera Beta 2 in order to install Opera 9.5, can someone give me the code, please!!!!

Thank's!!!

cardinals_fan
June 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hey people I need to uninstall Opera Beta 2 in order to install Opera 9.5, can someone give me the code, please!!!!

Thank's!!!
How did you install beta 2 in the first place?

chucky chuckaluck
I'm not very fond of opera, as my ears don't seem to like it very much. All the loud, high singing, you know...

it's not all high - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHzWR3VFLAc

Magical opera? That might be interesting!

make up your mind, son - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERsjRsCBlBo&feature=related

Kingsley

Thank's!!!
This this into a terminal.

sudo apt-get purge opera

Then download and double click the new Opera to install it.

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Do you have a link?

It is in the post I made, I should have been more clear. (I didn't create it, I just always use it)

Thank's!!!

No, you just double click the new .deb and it will upgrade it.

eival
June 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
did they fix the slow/crashing when flash vids are played?

i had that issue with the 64bit version Beta2 and its still happening as-of-yesterday so i doubt they fixed it for the release today.

ive already been using Firefox 3 Beta 5 an now the final version since 2 days ago, they incorporated damn near everything i loved about Opera.

they got the tab bar always showing option, they added a button for a "new tab" that i can put on my toolbar, they got the x on every tab now to close them, the only thing i miss is Opera's password manager(pressing ctrl+enter is alot faster than waiting for firefox to load the page then load my password, EVEN WITH CABLE INTERNET) and i noticed that firefox still hasnt fixed the popups issue, i still get new windows poping up, something that NEVER happened in Opera since i started using 9.27.

the font in Firefox sucks tho, i never had to adjust fonts or sizes in Opera, everytyhing looks fine, not all bold and unlegible like in firefox!

but crashing and locking up constantly is too much to make up for all the great things Opera has. once they fix it ill go back to it

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
did they fix the slow/crashing when flash vids are played?

That was fixed a while ago. It wasn't a problem in Opera 9.50b2.

eival
June 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
That was fixed a while ago. It wasn't a problem in Opera 9.50b2.

what version?

ive got Beta 2 64bit version(ubuntu hardy 64bit), ill check out the final version when i get home.

bobbob1016
June 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Facebook and Yahoomail work fine for me. Facebook has a slight problem with the "online friends" thing, it continues to render the go online/offline tab until I scroll, but nothing at all important, not sure what the other person meant.

Also, you can install themes via the theme manager, it lets you download them too. In editor's picks, there is an ubuntu theme.

For those missing "adblock" from firefox, right click a blank area, do "Block Content" then click what you don't like, then click done.

eival
June 12th, 2008, 10:15 PM
just installed the windows version, other than the tab bar, everything looks the same

i already dont like this new tab bar, cause now the close x disapears after the tabs start to be autoshrunk(when you open alot of tabs) and i dont like the "new tab" being on the end of the last tab to the right, thats just 1 more thing to have to think about instead of it being an automatic movement when it was always on the left. i hope theres an option to switch back to the old tabbar layout

eival
June 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
wow, theres no way to manually place the "new tab" button anywhere but where its already at by defualt

major failage

LaRoza
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 PM
wow, theres no way to manually place the "new tab" button anywhere but where its already at by defualt

major failage

Major? Right...

Ctrl + T always worked for me.

Colonel Kilkenny
June 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM

major failage
On your part, indeed.
Right click on new tab-button -> customize -> toolbars (make sure new tab -button has been selected, it should have borders) -> placement: off.
customize -> buttons -> browser -> drag new tab -button to the place where you want it to be.
Easy.

And as a home lesson everyone can try placing new tab -button to tab bar in FF...

chucky chuckaluck
June 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
On your part, indeed.
Right click on new tab-button -> customize -> toolbars (make sure new tab -button has been selected, it should have borders) -> placement: off.
Right click on tab bar -> customize -> buttons -> browser -> drag new tab -button to the place where you want it to be.

drat! beaten again...

urukrama
June 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It is substantially faster than the previous version, but in the upgrade to the new mail index system all my filters disappeared ](*,)

Now I have to recreate rather complex filters again for about 13000 emails :(

Redrazor39
June 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I would DEFINITELY use Opera if it worked perfectly with Gmail. Once ALL of the features work natively in Gmail (even with workarounds chat or colored labels won't work) then I will use Opera as my browser and ditch firefox (I hope FF isn't recording my keystrokes or it'll kill my Vista right about now)

cardinals_fan
June 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I would DEFINITELY use Opera if it worked perfectly with Gmail. Once ALL of the features work natively in Gmail (even with workarounds chat or colored labels won't work) then I will use Opera as my browser and ditch firefox (I hope FF isn't recording my keystrokes or it'll kill my Vista right about now)
I don't worry about the colored labels, and I use a regular IM app for Gmail chat.

eival
June 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM
wow i just installed it on my home laptop and the flash is still slow as hell

its not my processor cause Firefox 3 is runnin the same video without any lag.

i know the exact problem Opera is having, it cant handle the buffering and rendering the image at the sametime, cause once the video fully loads it runs fine.

this is absolutely unexceptbable cause ive never had this issue since switching to Opera 9.25 about almost a year an a half ago.

maybe they should of focused more on making sure the unvailing of their first 64bit version of Opera ran as good as the 32bit version, rather than just making the tab bar a different color....

im not installing a 32bit OS just to run Opera, back to Firefox which has implemented damn near all the "Opera only" features with this new FF3 version.

Sinkingships7
June 13th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I want to switch to Opera so badly. I don't even know why, it's just so damn attractive to me. Anyhow, I have only one problem (call it two if you wish): How do I get it to play embedded video, as well as embedded Quicktime video?

cardinals_fan
June 13th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I want to switch to Opera so badly. I don't even know why, it's just so damn attractive to me. Anyhow, I have only one problem (call it two if you wish): How do I get it to play embedded video, as well as embedded Quicktime video?
Opera handles most Mozilla plugins well. Read this (http://www.opera.com/linux/docs/plugins/install/) (a tad out of date, but still reasonably good).

Kingsley
June 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I think installing mozplugger will do the trick, though I'm not very sure.

izanbardprince
June 13th, 2008, 01:31 AM

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4776/screenow7.jpg

Why does Ubuntu theme so bad with Opera? (grin)

BTW, I use Sun's Nimbus theme 0.16 from OpenSolaris.

For AMD64:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ubuntu+AMD64+debs+for+Nimbus?content=78470

For x86:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Nimbus+(+Debian+and+Ubuntu+packages+)?content=7021 2

sports fan Matt
June 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM
This is the first time I have regularly used Opera in a few years and im impressed. The page loading is snappier, it seems to play nicely. Im still relearning how to fully use it (been so used to FF that I had forgotten I didnt have my forecastbar or mail notifier) but those are small annoyances

mrgnash
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Gnome integration is still almost nonexistent, and there's nothing (by default) that matches the awesomeness of the AwesomeBar. I'll be sticking with Firefox 3.

racoq
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 AM
i use it on my laptop on windows xp, and no browser ever camed close to its speed, or ram usage. Now with 9.50, it got even a more performance boast, being twice as fast than ie7 starting, and more than that rendering webpages. However in Ubuntu (Gutsy here) on my old desktop (pentium III at 800), i find epiphany more memory eficient, loading for instance the ubuntuforums main page, using a cold start of the browser, epiphany occupies me aproximatly 17 MB of ram, Opera however feeling faster rendering and more responsive, it takes more ram memory to do the same (more than 20 MB), and it doesn't fit to good on my black Ubuntu desktop theme. When i start opening tabs and loading other sites and closing tabs, i find epiphany more memory efficient than Opera, epiphany always take less ram.

Resuming, for windows is and will be my browser of choice. For ubuntu in my opinion nothing is more ram friendly than epiphany (i only have 512MB of ram). Dillo doesn't count for me since i don't find it a user friendly browser.

FuturePilot
June 13th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Gnome integration is still almost nonexistent, and there's nothing (by default) that matches the awesomeness of the AwesomeBar. I'll be sticking with Firefox 3.

I just don't get Opera. The toolbars are confusing and a lot of them seem to be hidden away where no one can find them. The theming is horrible. Why can't the menus be themed as well? That also goes along with the Gnome integration, icons, GTK, etc. Something that Firefox 3 does very nicely. I've actually found Opera to be slower and heavier on RAM than Firefox. Opera's Widgets don't come close to the capabilities of Firefox's extensions. And yes the Awesomebar is awesome, so I too will be sticking with Firefox.

cardinals_fan
June 13th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I just don't get Opera. The toolbars are confusing and a lot of them seem to be hidden away where no one can find them. The theming is horrible. Why can't the menus be themed as well? That also goes along with the Gnome integration, icons, GTK, etc. Something that Firefox 3 does very nicely.
I just don't get Firefox. The toolbars are confusing and a lot of them seem to be hidden away where no one can find them. The theming is horrible. The menus are really ugly. That goes along with the KDE integration, icons, Qt, etc. Something that Opera does very nicely.

Everything is perspective.

visionaire
June 13th, 2008, 02:18 AM
i Just Don't Get Firefox. The Toolbars Are Confusing And A Lot Of Them Seem To Be Hidden Away Where No One Can Find Them. The Theming Is Horrible. The Menus Are Really Ugly. That Goes Along With The Kde Integration, Icons, Qt, Etc. Something That Opera Does Very Nicely.

Everything Is Perspective.

Hahhahaahaa +++++++++++++++1

izanbardprince
June 13th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Firefox is a lot heavier on RAM than Opera, and slower as well.

Whenever I report memory leaks to Mozilla, they just mark them as WONTFIX or WORKSFORME, and I'm sick of not being listened to just because fixing their product would require effort, and I don't really care if it is open source, it doesn't work well at all, I will most likely check back in when Firefox 4 is out and they're dumped XPCOM entirely, if they really make good on that promise.

racoq
June 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Firefox is a lot heavier on RAM than Opera, and slower as well.

Whenever I report memory leaks to Mozilla, they just mark them as WONTFIX or WORKSFORME, and I'm sick of not being listened to just because fixing their product would require effort, and I don't really care if it is open source, it doesn't work well at all, I will most likely check back in when Firefox 4 is out and they're dumped XPCOM entirely, if they really make good on that promise.

try epiphany if you use ubuntu. Its a perfect fit on integration and it's lighter on ram that Opera. It's quite efficient in memory management.

FuturePilot
June 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Everything is perspective.

Which is why I said I do not understand Opera. Yes, that was just my perspective on Opera. So I guess it is true, to each his own.

That is all. ;)

cardinals_fan
June 13th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Which is why I said I do not understand Opera. Yes, that was just my perspective on Opera. So I guess it is true, to each his own.

That is all. ;)
Very true. My experience with Opera on a KDE platform (I still run Xmonad, but I have KDE fully installed and zero GNOME) has been much better than using it on GTK-heavy OS's like Ubuntu or Zenwalk.

visionaire
June 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Just upgraded B2, the packager said i have a newer Opera installed (false) so i just aptitude remove opera, all of my configs remain safe

The final release use less RAM then B2 for me nice! :D

vs8
June 13th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks to Kingsley who gave me the code, I enjoy Opera's *** kicking performance and beauty on my PC!

Cardinals_Fan - I installed Opera 9.50b2 (beta 2) in Opera's site, I downloaded the file double clicked it and installed it. That's the same way I downloaded the official release this afternoon, but because I had the beta version, Ubuntu wouldn't let me install it. It gave me one of these "Error installing software because there's a newer version already installed" kind of error. That's why I nedded the code.

cardinals_fan
June 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Cardinals_Fan - I installed Opera 9.50b2 (beta 2) in Opera's site, I downloaded the file double clicked it and installed it. That's the same way I downloaded the official release this afternoon, but because I had the beta version, Ubuntu wouldn't let me install it. It gave me one of these "Error installing software because there's a newer version already installed" kind of error. That's why I nedded the code.
I don't install my Opera. I just download the tar.gz, extract, and run the binary.

D-EJ915
June 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I just switched from Beta 2 to final and it does feel quite a bit snappier. Nice they got rid of the text on the new tab button, although I never use it anyway.

sports fan Matt
June 13th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Many themes though are non 9.5 compatable..I keep getting "you do not have permission to access this on the zip drive"

visionaire
June 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks to Kingsley who gave me the code, I enjoy Opera's *** kicking performance and beauty on my PC!

If you use KDE, see my post above yours, i have the same issue, just uninstall then install the new one

Opps... i see you already did it =)

sports fan Matt
June 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM
just an fyi..downloading themes (many with the new 9.5) come with this: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /mups/skins/mirage_m6-1.zip on this server.

most of them I cant download:(

techmarks
June 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I like Opera best now.

It just quietly does what is supposed to.

I'm not always aware I'm using Opera, or of some glitch,
or the awkward functionality.

I just get on the Web and and do my stuff.

Opera doesn't get in the way, I'm not
thinking of it after awhile. It just works.

samjh
June 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Is it possible to run Java applets using the Sun JRE on Opera 9.5 on a 64-bit system?

I'm trying to run Java applets using Sun's JRE 1.6 (I have the sun-java6-bin installed and Opera configured correctly with Java path verified), but applets never seem to finish loading.

Sef
June 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Is it possible to run Java applets using the Sun JRE on Opera 9.5 on a 64-bit system?

No, it isn't. Read my link "Java on 64-Bit Systems" for more information.

MONODA
June 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I use opera, I dont like how the sidebar is now only an icon, not an icon with the title below it. I also dont like the new look in general very much even though I changed the theme. I still use it since I like it more than firefox (I actually really like opera). I got 83/100 from acid 3, better than firefox, konquerer and opera 9.27

Changturkey
June 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Is there any way to disable the built in torrenting it can do? It sucks.

Tomatz
June 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Rclick on the .torrent you want to download then just click "save as".

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM

That is no surprise...Opera uses QT, not GTK.

I just don't get Opera. The toolbars are confusing and a lot of them seem to be hidden away where no one can find them. The theming is horrible. Why can't the menus be themed as well? That also goes along with the Gnome integration, icons, GTK, etc. Something that Firefox 3 does very nicely. I've actually found Opera to be slower and heavier on RAM than Firefox. Opera's Widgets don't come close to the capabilities of Firefox's extensions. And yes the Awesomebar is awesome, so I too will be sticking with Firefox.

GTK is used in Firefox, Opera uses QT. If you find it confusing I can't dispute that, but I find Opera easy to use.

arsenic23
June 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM

preferences>advanced>downloads
and then go to the .torrent entry and tell it how to handle them.

Colonel Kilkenny
June 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I use opera, I dont like how the sidebar is now only an icon, not an icon with the title below it.

You can change that. Right click -> Customize -> Toolbars -> Style -> Images and text below.

And what comes to OS integration. Opera 9.5 uses native open/save file dialogs. Opera also has support for native Qt4 skins. And I guess that when QGtkStyle is integrated into QT the situation should get better.

MONODA
June 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
when I do that, the sidebar grows much more than needed and I cant resize it. Anyone else getting this?

chucky chuckaluck
June 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
oddly, pages are loading faster for me in firefox than opera.

June 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Is there any way to disable the built in torrenting it can do? It sucks.Type in Opera:config in the address bar, open up bit-torrent and uncheck Enable.

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Couldn't resist, and downloaded/installed in my Debian/Kde which I'm using right now. By the way, it's the same deb file if you chose Ubuntu.

It's quite fast, but my first impression was a disappointment. It did pick up my flash plugin so I went to youtube right away. But I see just a big white screen. Same thing with other sites - yahoo, google. What could be the problem? This is just straight from the install, no config changes. I did find by accident by re-loading it that I can see something. Any ideas? :confused:

bailout
June 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I just copy the flash plugin (.so file) into /usr/lib/opera/plugins. Works fine for me so far. I have been waiting for 9.5 as 9.27 only worked with an older flash version.

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Couldn't resist, and downloaded/installed in my Debian/Kde which I'm using right now. By the way, it's the same deb file if you chose Ubuntu.

It's quite fast, but my first impression was a disappointment. It did pick up my flash plugin so I went to youtube right away. But I see just a big white screen. Same thing with other sites - yahoo, google. What could be the problem? This is just straight from the install, no config changes. I did find by accident by re-loading it that I can see something. Any ideas? :confused:

I am not sure why you got that, but reloading the page, or restarting the browser might fix it. (Restarts would only matter if the flash plugin were new)

Your impression is of Flash, not Opera. If Flash were high quality...

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I am not sure why you got that, but reloading the page, or restarting the browser might fix it. (Restarts would only matter if the flash plugin were new)

Your impression is of Flash, not Opera. If Flash were high quality...

I didn't say there's a flash problem. Flash plays fine. The problem is first time I visited youtube or any site, just a white screen. I'm not even past the front door.

So I went to yahoo and google, same problem. My gut feel is it's trying to fill up it's cache, because now with restart and revisit seems more instant now though still a few lag there.

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I just copy the flash plugin (.so file) into /usr/lib/opera/plugins. Works fine for me so far. I have been waiting for 9.5 as 9.27 only worked with an older flash version.

You misunderstood my post. I said it picked it up without even doing what you said. And I didn't say there's a flash problem. Flash plays very well.

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
There seems to be no option to set tab opening on the foreground instead of the default background. Just like in FF, the mouse middle(roller) click on a link will open it on a tab. You can chose to open it on tha background or foreground as a gen preferrence.

Opera opens it on the background, and I can't seem to find how to change it on the foreground.

I know you can open it on the foreground by right click, but it's inconveniently 2 steps.

Barrucadu
June 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Shift+Click opens a link in a foreground tab

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I didn't say there's a flash problem. Flash plays fine. The problem is first time I visited youtube or any site, just a white screen. I'm not even past the front door.

So I went to yahoo and google, same problem. My gut feel is it's trying to fill up it's cache, because now with restart and revisit seems more instant now though still a few lag there.

I didn't get the problem then.

It might be filling its cache. It uses the cache very effectively (it doesn't slow things down like Fx).

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
There seems to be no option to set tab opening on the foreground instead of the default background. Just like in FF, the mouse middle(roller) click on a link will open it on a tab. You can chose to open it on tha background or foreground as a gen preferrence.

Opera opens it on the background, and I can't seem to find how to change it on the foreground.

I know you can open it on the foreground by right click, but it's inconveniently 2 steps.

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/mouse/

You don't even need to use the keyboard. Just a simple mouse gesture.

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/mouse/

You don't even need to use the keyboard. Just a simple mouse gesture.

Thanks for the link. I may have to learn a new browsing experience :)

But I would still like to have at least in the opera:config just like about:config has all the settings for FF.

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link. I may have to learn a new browsing experience :)

But I would still like to have at least in the opera:config just like about:config has all the settings for FF.

I use mouse gestures in all GUI apps because of Opera, even in Windows Explorer and Thunar...

(To open the link like you want, right click (hold the button) and move the mouse down (just a little) and release. To open it in the background, do the same, but move the mouse up before releasing.

utUtu
June 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Shift+Click opens a link in a foreground tab

Well. well it didn't do anything, but by accident I found Shift+middle click opens a pop up that will set the correct option.

Happy_Man
June 14th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hey, for all you poor people having trouble adjusting your eyes to the butt-ugly non-theming support under GNOME:

Install qtconfig and the klearlook theme
sudo apt-get install qt3-qtconfig kde-style-klearlook and then run qtconfig and choose the klearlook theme. Voila! problem solved.

ofb
June 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It's nice to have Flash working again, but I'm afraid I can't say 9.5 is a huge success. Perhaps someone here will know how to restore features we've lost with this update?

== Tools > Delete Private Data > Detailed Options ==

We've lost the option 'Clear History Of Visited Links'. You can no longer select 'Clear History Of Visited Pages' without also losing the Visited Links history. Previously you could clear the Visited Pages history in the address bar on close without losing the Visited Pages history. Hence for a site like BBC News, you can no longer see what links you read yesterday.

== CTRL-click an image to Save ==

9.5 opens a Gnome/Nautilus directory dialog, rather than the previous KDE(?) directory dialog. This comes with three problems.

- The new dialog does not remember what directory you last saved to. You can have it default to a designated directory, but you will continually be visiting that directory afterwards to place batches where you intended them.

- The new dialog has the default behavior that requires double-clicking to navigate directories instead of the previous single-click. Changing your own preferences in Nautilus does not effect this dialog.

- The new dialog rarely has focus*, so you have to click Save rather than just hitting enter. (Perhaps this is more obvious a slowdown for people who mouse left-handed, so trust me: losing the ability to slap ctrl-click+enter for a quick save is annoying as heck.)

* The new dialog sometimes pops up with focus, but that's rare.

- Much more minor: Saving this way also now opens the Transfer window. I drag it to another workspace to get it out of the way for the duration, but it seems silly to need to.

All of the above is also a problem when doing something like saving a group of files via the Links window. What's more, the new dialog does not remember what directory you last saved to during that Save All session -- if you save a file to a new directory, you'll be right back to the default download directory for the next save within that session.

The only way round that is have those saves go direct to the default without asking, but then you've got to keep a file browser open to sort batches as you work.

Overall, the whole business is much slower than before.

== Email ==

Co-ordination with Claws-Mail is even more broken. Probably it's too much to hope that someone else here uses this combination, but if someone does and has already figured this one out I'd be pleased to hear about it.

-- Background FWIW -- Opera's been my favorite since 3.6. Can't say I'm noticing any real difference with 9.5 over 9.27 yet, just the failings above. Finding my favorite app UI has been made slower is a little disconcerting.

EDIT: one more - Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks. This doesn't remember that it was last opened as full screen anymore. Every time you open it now it's as a small window.

FyreBrand
June 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Can javascript be disabled globally and then enabled on a site or domain by domain basis? In effect I want to be able to replicate the functionality of the script blocker in FF.

ofb
June 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
another feature loss,

== Privacy Settings Precedence Changed ==

You can set cookie retention globally with Preferences, globally with Delete Private Data, and individually with Site Preferences.

Previously, the Site Preferences settings created exceptions to global policy. Now the global settings override Site Preferences.

For example, before 9.5 you could set your system to flush all cookies except for desired sites like UbuntuForums and Wikipedia. We had a whitelisting option.

That's been removed, and since they haven't changed the wording of any of the panels, I'm not entirely sure if the new behavior is intended or a bug.

Right there in the main Preferences we still have the option "Cookie settings can be adapted to each site" as before, but there is no mention that the global settings will simply override individual site settings if you try to use it.

>> FyreBrand, I only tested the above for cookies. Dunno if they done it with js too.

FyreBrand
June 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks. Well I finished the download so I'll test it out.

cardinals_fan
June 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Can javascript be disabled globally and then enabled on a site or domain by domain basis? In effect I want to be able to replicate the functionality of the script blocker in FF.
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=205858

ofb
June 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Would someone with a fast machine check something for me?

'Alt-T, D, Enter' for Tools > Delete Private Data > Delete

I find I have to pause a half-beat now before hitting enter. If I slap them like I'm used to then the final panel hasn't opened sufficently for the Enter to be enacted.

I'm running into similar delay-glitches when wheel-scrolling quicly across several Opera 9.5 window tabs on the Gnome Panel. There's some sort of lag which gives very inconsistent results about which window comes to the fore, and which windows are remembered as last focused.

I'm definitely getting behind on the upgrade curve here, so it's possible none of this occurs for any machine purchased in the last two or three years. Would someone do a quick check to satisfy my curiousity?

FyreBrand
June 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=205858Oh thanks! You get the EPIC WIN for that one!

ofb
June 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, yet another feature loss: We've lost the Resume option on the Transfer window. This is really disappointing.

Christmas
June 22nd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Opera is such a good web browser which really makes browsing feel so smooth, but too bad it's closed-source. Anybody knows, are there plans for opening it?

LaRoza
June 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Wow, yet another feature loss: We've lost the Resume option on the Transfer window. This is really disappointing.

No we haven't...

I can stop and resume transfers.

Tomatz
June 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Opera is such a good web browser which really makes browsing feel so smooth, but too bad it's closed-source. Anybody knows, are there plans for opening it?

Doubt it.

Anyway sometimes the closed source model works ;)

LaRoza
June 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
Doubt it.

Anyway sometimes the closed source model works ;)

It think it would be plagued with the same problems as Firefox if it went open.

Tomatz
June 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM

Is firefox still open?

The license gets more restrictive with every release ;)

I agree. Firefox has too many hands on the oars and is not the same snappy browser it was say at 1.4.

ofb
June 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
No we haven't...

No we haven't indeed -- thank you! It's still there as right-click. I was expecting it on the toolbar.

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
No we haven't indeed -- thank you! It's still there as right-click. I was expecting it on the toolbar.

Oh, I never used the toolbar for it so I wouldn't have noticed.

jrusso2
June 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
I have been using Firefox 3 final along with Opera 9.5 final and speed and stability wise Opera 9.5 blows Firefox 3 away.

Happy_Man
June 23rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
I have been using Firefox 3 final along with Opera 9.5 final and speed and stability wise Opera 9.5 blows Firefox 3 away.
Funny, Opera's much less stable than Firefox on my computer, and the fact that Facebook takes three to five years to open kind of ruins it for me. :(

LaRoza
June 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
Funny, Opera's much less stable than Firefox on my computer, and the fact that Facebook takes three to five years to open kind of ruins it for me. :(

I would venture to guess that "Facebook" uses non standard code or the pages are laden with scripts and graphics.

maniacmusician
June 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
I don't really think so. The main problem I have with Firefox is the resources it eats up, and not enough gains in features and performance to warrant that. Opera already has a really lean engine and GUI toolkit. It's also pretty well supported; the only thing that didn't work for me on it were the Google services, and I only just checked, but at least Gmail works.

I'd love to see Opera open, though. And as much as Opera users hate to hear people say it, I wish that it had a better extension system. I wouldn't want it to be as bloated as some firefox extensions seem to be, but I think it would be a really good way to bring innovation by opening the floor to developers. It also leaves it up to the user to make their browser as bloated or as lean as they want.

If Opera did develop an extension system, I think it would end up trumping Firefox's simply because Qt becomes part of the equation. In my experience, Qt performs much better than XUL. Opera already has models for a bunch of different types of views, and all the power of Qt.

If I can get Google Docs working and replicate some my important FF extensions, I might switch back to Opera. I've been a long time user of both, and occasionally go back and forth...usually at least once a year, actually. But now, I use Google Docs quite extensively, so if I can't get it to work, I won't be enjoying Opera too often.

Sukarn
June 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM

Its there on the toolbar for me.

The Stop button changes to Resume when a transfer is stopped.

Check out the screenshot I've attached with the resume button highlighted.

misfitpierce
June 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I installed Opera 9.5 and must say that the themeing with linux is not so grand and on top of that the performance when put up against Firefox 3 (the fox) was horrible. Opera took way longer to render my pages and I was not thrilled about that. Back to the fox for me :)

misfitpierce
June 23rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thats the way it is for me... Firefox 3 crashes = 0 / Opera crashes = 5 within 2 days... sigh :(

Barrucadu
June 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
I've had a few problems with page content getting a little messed up occasionally if I scroll too fast, but apart from that all is fine.

maniacmusician
June 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Thats the way it is for me... Firefox 3 crashes = 0 / Opera crashes = 5 within 2 days... sigh :(
The only crash I've had with Opera since 9.5 has been with some weird Flash things that had similarly produced crashes (though not consistently) in Firefox as well. All it really means that everyone's experience will be variable according to the type of Xorg drivers they're using, the web sites that they frequent, and probably a lot of other little cases that haven't been tested for.

Of course, if you feel like contributing and you have time, you can always investigate the bug status of your problem. http://www.opera.com/support/bugs/ Bug reporting is always a great way to help out projects.

Tomatz
June 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
The only crash I've had with Opera since 9.5 has been with some weird Flash things that had similarly produced crashes (though not consistently) in Firefox as well. All it really means that everyone's experience will be variable according to the type of Xorg drivers they're using, the web sites that they frequent, and probably a lot of other little cases that haven't been tested for.

Of course, if you feel like contributing and you have time, you can always investigate the bug status of your problem. http://www.opera.com/support/bugs/ Bug reporting is always a great way to help out projects.

Yeah the beta was very unstable for me. It used to crash intermittently unless i turned javascript off.

9.5 is brilliant though! Fast, stable, Doesn't crash :)

Canis familiaris
June 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah the beta was very unstable for me. It used to crash intermittently unless i turned javascript off.

9.5 is brilliant though! Fast, stable, Doesn't crash :)

+1. It is my default browser and mail client as well.

Barrucadu
June 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
If only M2 had GPG support...

ofb
June 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
The Stop button changes to Resume when a transfer is stopped.

It does here too. What's more, 9.27 on my other box does the same thing so I've managed to miss this behavior for more than one version despite using it. Classic user blindness. Thanks.

Quick check... Yeah, it even turns to Resume if you kill Opera during a transfer and then go back to the Transfer window in recovery mode. Maybe it doesn't for stalled/dropped connection, but still I should have noticed from the former.