PDA

View Full Version : Wireless use in Education

Maupertus
June 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hey guys and girls,

I work for my University in a projectgroup that has to formulate the new ICT-strategy for the years 2009 till 2011.
As of next year the city wide WiFi-cloud will be up and running and we were looking for great ways to implement wireless networking in an educational enviroment.

As we are just a small group of programmers, IT-enthusiasts, policy-makers and 'all-purpose students' we need to have some outside input and ideas. We don't really want to use IT-companies to have input as we can do most of the things we do ourselves and want to keep proprietary involvement at a minimum.

So I wanted to ask you guys: If you could think of anything at all regaring wireless networking and University Education, what would be your first great idea to implement?

We just started, but I'll post the ideas of my workgroup as we work on it.

Maupertus
June 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Although there isn't a lot of interest, I wanted to post a couple of sure things we're going to implement.

- Better support for Mac/BSD/Unix (linux) architectures on the wireless University network.
- Better support Smartphone/PDA
- iCal functionality on the Blackboard system, blackboard is the Electronic Enviroment where all class information, discussion forums on subject matter, class enrollment, exam enrollment etc is organized. We want to add better Calendar support, that way, by enrolling in a class, the exam and essay dates are automaticly added in your calendar. We also want to try to make it easier for student-councelors tot add important dates and implement a university wide event calendar.
- Plugging into the Bluegene supercomputer via the Wifi Network. At the moment, this is only possible hardwired via Unix pc's
- Conference calling/skype/videoconferencing between employees and students.