PDA

View Full Version : Syncing Ipods to a music collection

PsyWolf
June 12th, 2008, 05:25 AM
One of my friends switched to ubuntu, but they ended up switching back because there were a few things that they were used to that were either harder for them to do in ubuntu than in windows or that they couldn't do at all.

Almost everything I was able to help her with, but the one that i could never find was a tool to sync her ipod with her music collection. This seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code, but after looking for a while, I only found one severly outdated tool that didn't work.

Is there a tool out there that i am just missing, or is there really no good program to do this in linux. If so, why not? I don't know how what libgpod allows you to do, but as a beginning programmer, can someone explain to me what the obstacle is?

zmjjmz
June 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM
The obstacle: Apple doesn't release the code necessary to sync it.
Anyways, it really matters what iPod she has.
Most music players for Linux currently support iPod Syncing OTB.
Exaile, Banshee, and Rhythmbox are good examples.
gtkpod doesn't play the music, but it will sync it.

PsyWolf
June 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I should have been more specific. I know how to add and delete music from the ipod using several different media players and tools like gtkpod and flooa and hipo to name a few. I want something that will sync a collection to the ipod and update the ipod to reflect changes in the collection. She has a 30 Gig ipod video btw.

mrgnash
June 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
The latest Banshee can sync with an iPod.

garoth2
June 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I read this statement in many places, but still can't figure out how to get it to "sync". All I can do is drag files to my iPod in the latest banshee. If I drag the same files to the ipod twice, it even creates duplicates on the ipod.

zekopeko
June 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
wait a couple of weeks. banshee is going to get the sync plugin for ipod.

zmjjmz
June 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Rhythmbox should work for it, unless it's formatted HFS+ (i.e., she had a Mac earlier, which isn't the case I'm assuming).

zachtib
June 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
The latest Banshee can sync with an iPod.

+1 for Banshee, 1.0 is amazing, and yes, it will sync to your ipod

mr.propre
June 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
So is it still wise to buy an Ipod? My MP3 player died today (r.i.p) and the only thing I'm looking for is a strong (quality) mp3 player that can hold all my music, I'm thinking about the Ipod Classic 60gig what will do the job for me.

Support for calender synchronisation and other stuff isn't really needed. I also still use windows but it would be fun to use it in windows AND in Ubuntu.