PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compatible?

Skyline969
June 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'm going to install Ubuntu on my old laptop.
P3 700 MHz
128 MB RAM (shared with the video card, don't know how much and I can't get into the BIOS setup to look)
And, well, the Live CD doesn't work. It loads the Install and Examples icons, but the two taskbars do not load. When I go to move the mouse, it freezes solid for 10 seconds. It was a CD shipped to me. It worked on another computer (300 MHz, 128 MB RAM) perfectly. I was told to get the Alternate Install CD. Where do I get it? I don't see an option to get it via ShipIt. I tried downloading and burning an ISO of Xubuntu, but after 6 failed attempts, I abandoned hope on that. Does anyone know where I can get an Alternate Install CD of Ubuntu shipped to me, and will my old laptop be able to handle it? Thanks in advance.
Skyline969

overdrank
June 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I'm going to install Ubuntu on my old laptop.
P3 700 MHz
128 MB RAM (shared with the video card, don't know how much and I can't get into the BIOS setup to look)
And, well, the Live CD doesn't work. It loads the Install and Examples icons, but the two taskbars do not load. When I go to move the mouse, it freezes solid for 10 seconds. It was a CD shipped to me. It worked on another computer (300 MHz, 128 MB RAM) perfectly. I was told to get the Alternate Install CD. Where do I get it? I don't see an option to get it via ShipIt. I tried downloading and burning an ISO of Xubuntu, but after 6 failed attempts, I abandoned hope on that. Does anyone know where I can get an Alternate Install CD of Ubuntu shipped to me, and will my old laptop be able to handle it? Thanks in advance.
Skyline969

Hi and have you tried to choose the install option, instead of choosing to run the live cd without effecting your system. this may work if you know you want to install it. I am quite surprised that you were able to install on the system with that low of memory as the minimum requirements are 256mb.

Harii
June 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I would try using Antix-mepis.
most gui installers like 128 ram plus and your video card is taking some too.
AntiX worked on mine when i had only 64 ram or try fluxbuntu.
But i think fluxbuntu will be the same problem.

Try burning an AntiX CD because i think its a lack of ram problem.

ADD: Or add more ram -- always a good thing.

Skyline969
June 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Adding more RAM isn't really an option for this laptop. As for an AntiX CD? What is that and how would I burn one? Keep in mind I tried burning 6 different Xubuntu CDs and they ALL failed. And overdrank, which option? I don't recall the Ubuntu CD startup menu, but I only remember Start Or Install Ubuntu and Start Ubuntu In Safe Graphics Mode. There might have been something about an OEM install, but what's an OEM?

And as for choosing to install Xubuntu, I'm assuming you mean Xubuntu there? If that's the case, well I wouldn't want to chance it seeing as all the CDs have one corrupt file or two, or they don't even read in my CD-Drive.

ADD: Since my older computer can handle Ubuntu (sure it takes 2 minutes to open OpenOffice, but once open it works like a champ), perhaps the system requirements for Ubuntu are a little lower than some people think.

overdrank
June 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Adding more RAM isn't really an option for this laptop. As for an AntiX CD? What is that and how would I burn one? Keep in mind I tried burning 6 different Xubuntu CDs and they ALL failed. And overdrank, which option? I don't recall the Ubuntu CD startup menu, but I only remember Start Or Install Ubuntu and Start Ubuntu In Safe Graphics Mode. There might have been something about an OEM install, but what's an OEM?

If your are installing the latest version 8.04 Hardy then there should be another option of installing after using the live cd with no effects to your system. Why do you say the xubuntu alternate cd fail? Did you check them for errors and also did you check the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
and also look here at burning a ISO
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Skyline969
June 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Worry not, I burned the ISO properly. I was being stubborn and impatient and didn't check the MD5SUM. As for which Ubuntu CD I have, I have the Gutsy CD. Perhaps I should order a Hardy CD via ShipIt. But that's 10 weeks. I want to have this laptop upgraded before the school break begins.

snowpine
June 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
And as for choosing to install Xubuntu, I'm assuming you mean Xubuntu there?

Fluxbuntu is a non-canonical fluxbuntu distro that has lower system requirements than xubuntu.

www.fluxbuntu.org
(http://www.fluxbuntu.org)

ps You will have a much easier time with this project if you can find a friend to let you burn CDs rather than wait 10 weeks for them to arrive. Also if you are comfortable with it, you can do a minimal install (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems)and then build up from there.

Harii
June 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I hate to say it but he may be right--about getting help burning a ISO.
But i think you should try AntiX too.
http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Main_Page

Try other distros that has lower system requirements too:
puppy linux
Damn small linux
Absolute linux

AntiX woked for me and and fluxbuntu locked up on me--due to ram.
I went back but the wireless didn't worked.

Find one that works for you and one that you like as well:lolflag:.