PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] switching to an already open terminal

lpanebr
June 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Hello,
I use compiz to open the terminal the size and place I want. Thats great but...

Is there any way to set a keyboard shortcut to just switch to an already open terminal window?

Thanks!!

sdennie
June 12th, 2008, 04:37 AM
You should be able to do this fairly easily. First:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager wmctrl

Then, go to System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Settings->General Options->Commands. Make one of the commands under the Commands section:

wmctrl -xa gnome-terminal

Add a corresponding hotkey in the Key Bindings section of that tab.

lpanebr
June 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks!!

I had just found another way using the Tilde app which is kind of cool cause it slides the terminal IN/OUT with the hotkey..

I tryed your suggested way with wmctrl and compiz and it also worked nicely. I believe I could add another command to make the terminal window get BELOW as to make it go away but it would have to be asecond hotkey right?

I am divided... think will try both for while.. Tilda seems to work fine though... I have some focus issues at first (the terminal wouldnt came raised and focused), but after arranging the Tilda and compiz settings I think is ok now..

but hey, THANKS again for the precise and fast reply!

lpanebr
June 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
well.. those issues I mentioned with Tilda are still happening. It apear to happen mostly when I am with focus on Firefox. The trerminal will slide but bellow it.. :(

sdennie
June 12th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I tryed your suggested way with wmctrl and compiz and it also worked nicely. I believe I could add another command to make the terminal window get BELOW as to make it go away but it would have to be asecond hotkey right?

You could make a script to toggle between focused and minimized. There are a lot of things you can do with wmctrl command.

well.. those issues I mentioned with Tilda are still happening. It apear to happen mostly when I am with focus on Firefox. The trerminal will slide but bellow it.. :(

That sounds like something you may be able to fix by going to System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects->General Options->Focus & Raise Behavior. Trying playing with Focus Prevention Level.

lpanebr
June 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM
After some more googling around I learned that what I was looking for is called a QuakeTerminal (yes, after the one in the game....)
The script on http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9973 gave me what I needed and I changed it a bit so it also opens up the terminal in case it's not already opened..

here's the code:

#!/bin/sh

touchTerm()
{
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -e '0,0,0,1279,500'
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -b add,shaded
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -b add,below
touch /tmp/.quake.shaded
}

S1=`wmctrl -l|grep 'Quake Terminal'|wc -l`

if [ $S1 -eq '0' ]; then
gnome-terminal --window-with-profile='Quake Terminal' --title='Quake Terminal'
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -e '0,0,0,1279,500'
# echo `wmctrl -l|grep 'Quake Terminal'|wc -l`
fi
# Unshade and bring to front
if [ -f /tmp/.quake.shaded ]; then
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -b remove,below
wmctrl -r 'Quake Terminal' -b remove,shaded
wmctrl -a 'Quake Terminal'
rm /tmp/.quake.shaded
# Shade and send to back
else
touchTerm
fi

hope it be of use to other lost souls like me out there... Quake Terminal.. who would've thought of that?