PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu inside Windows or on it's own partition

yogo
June 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I am wondering what differences are if I choose to install Ubuntu from within Windows.

I already have one hard drive with HH on it and on my main HD I have XP so I am debating if I should install in inside windows or on it;s own partition.

I am setting a poll up and want feedback on both methods to make a decision.

TIA

lisati
June 12th, 2008, 02:51 AM
An advantage of installing Ubuntu within windows is that it is potentially quicker to reclaim space on your hard drive in the unlikely event of you changing your mind
A disadvantage of installing within Windows is that (a) you'll need Windows there, and (b) it'll possibly run slightly slower
Advantages of installing Ununtu in its own partition is that (a) it can run at its max, and (b) it data is separate from Windows

yogo
June 12th, 2008, 03:02 AM
lisati

Thanks for your incite, it is very unlikely that I would install Ubuntu and I did notice the reference to not running at full speed if installed with in. I would say that I work and live within Ubuntu 94% of the time. It is just rare occasions when I have some app that will not run in Linux that I boot into Windows, ie my GPS software.

Since I already have grub installed, can I with a new install on the windows partition not install grub and then point to it from my menu.lst from my second HD?

hbayar_morph
June 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
installing ubuntu inside windows is much better (for me)
it's faster than its own partition and very tidy

wpshooter
June 17th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I vote for installing just Ubuntu alone and getting rid of M/S windows altogether !!!

prshah
June 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Install ubuntu to it's own partition; it's streets faster than a wubi install.

And if you _do_ install it through windows, what happens when your windows blows up! ;)

housam
June 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
u
Ubuntu on its own partition is safer and better performance.

felixq78
November 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Just how much faster is Ubuntu in its own partition rather than within a Windows folder?
I'm using it now (within a Windows folder) and if it is faster it's only a marginal difference and I can't detect it.