PDA

View Full Version : Gathering data from the web

ecmerkle
October 27th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Friends,

I am in the midst of moving from windows to ubuntu, and I am still learning the ins and outs of linux. My apologies if this is a simple question or if it's inappropriate for this forum, but I haven't found a simple answer in my searches for this information.

What I want is a program that reads data from web pages and writes it to, say, a text file. For example, one thing I would like to do is obtain sports statistics from web sites in real time, import the statistics to a spreadsheet, and perform manipulations on them. Back when I used excel, there was an option called "web query" that didn't work too well but that was able to extract some data from tables in web sites. Is there a linux equivalent to this? I've read a little bit about using SQL and PHP for data manipulation, and I'm wondering if this is the best (and easiest) way to go.

Thanks,
Ed

BoyOfDestiny
October 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Friends,

I am in the midst of moving from windows to ubuntu, and I am still learning the ins and outs of linux. My apologies if this is a simple question or if it's inappropriate for this forum, but I haven't found a simple answer in my searches for this information.

What I want is a program that reads data from web pages and writes it to, say, a text file. For example, one thing I would like to do is obtain sports statistics from web sites in real time, import the statistics to a spreadsheet, and perform manipulations on them. Back when I used excel, there was an option called "web query" that didn't work too well but that was able to extract some data from tables in web sites. Is there a linux equivalent to this? I've read a little bit about using SQL and PHP for data manipulation, and I'm wondering if this is the best (and easiest) way to go.

Thanks,
Ed

Hmm, there should be something out there like that, maybe some sort of RSS reader just for data pages give it (news, weather, etc)...

What I use for downloading pages/content, keeping it up to date etc, is wget.
If you have ubuntu installed you should have it already.

http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/wget.html

Hope this helps you.

23meg
October 28th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Bash will let you do that in a very customizable manner. Check the links from this excellent bash site (http://www.shelldorado.com/) for lots of ready to go bash scripts, which you can modify a bit for your needs automate with cron/anacron.

Once you get accustomed to getting things done with bash you'll wonder how you lived without it.