PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Un-delete user account?

jbrunton
June 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I deleted a user account but not the home directory.

Is it possible to create the same account, again, and re-attach the home directory?

tamoneya
June 12th, 2008, 12:55 AM
yes:
sudo useradd -d /home/oldusername/ newusername newusername and oldsudername can be the same if you like.

jbrunton
June 12th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I must have more problems than I thought. I got these two errors when I tried logging in using the restored account:

1. User's $HOME/.dmre file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.

(I did a search on the file system and couldn't find a file like .dmre)

2. The GNOME session manager was unable to lock the file '/home/username//.ICEauthority'. Please report this as a GNOME bug. Sometimes this error may occurs if the file's directory is unwritable, you could try logging in via failsafe session and ensuring that it is.

(also did a search for .ICEauthority on the file system and couldn't find it)

tamoneya
June 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM
change the permissions/ownership of the folder:
sudo chown -R newuser /home/olduser

molotov00
June 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Alternatively, create the user with empty home dir, copy files over, then chown.

jbrunton
June 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks tamoneya!

This has put my life back in order. All my settings are exactly as they were and all my preferences are as they were.

This has been most helpful.

Thank you so much!