PDA

View Full Version : Why is the internet synonymous to the IE icon?

vishzilla
June 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Any article (especially in the newspaper) on the internet or internet-related, I always find they attach an Internet Explorer icon along with it. Really bugs me :)

Tomosaur
June 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Any article (especially in the newspaper) on the internet or internet-related, I always find they attach an Internet Explorer icon along with it. Really bugs me :)

It's probably because pretty much everybody's first experience with the internet is clicking the IE icon on the desktop. Maybe it'll change in a few years, especially if Firefox manages to take over in market share.

karellen
June 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM
because back in 2000 or so Internet Explorer had 90+ % market share

Canis familiaris
June 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Bugs me too

FuturePilot
June 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Because a lot of people think IE is the Internet. I remember someone saying that they deleted the Internet, but what they really did was delete the IE shortcut.

original_jamingrit
June 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
It's probably because pretty much everybody's first experience with the internet is clicking the IE icon on the desktop...
Damn GUI.

Chame_Wizard
June 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM
IE is a stupid name :guitar:

original_jamingrit
June 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Explorer < Navigator < Konqueror

Google Spider
June 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Because a lot of people think IE is the Internet. I remember someone saying that they deleted the Internet, but what they really did was delete the IE shortcut.

rofl :lolflag:

pmq
June 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM

=D> hahaha, brilliant

back to topic - i do understand how it would bug some people. However there are alot of non computer minded people out there that have rarely stepped beyond the realms of IE or windows in general. IE would be more familar to them, i cant imagine alot of people recognising the Opera logo, although firefox is being seen more and more, as a previous poster said, maybe the fox will be the new icon in the next few years ;).

pmq

rune0077
June 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Man, that could qualify as some user-error though: "Oops, I think I just deleted the Internet".

SomeGuyDude
June 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
IE is the most ubiquitous browser. The vast majority of surfers use it. It's preinstalled on new computers so non-technical users who never install new stuff just equate the two. It'd be dumb to try and cater to the vast minority.

If Apple had an 80% market share or whatever, we'd get little Safari icons. If everyone used Firefox it'd be that logo.

bufsabre666
June 11th, 2008, 08:06 PM
trust me, i do computer repairs to make money and i hear this all the time, people dont even use firefox cause they think its a differnt version of the internet. maybe if the program name wasnt internet explorer it might solve some problems, but also some education may solve the problem as well, im not saying they have to have technical expertise in it but come on, ie is not the internet

SomeGuyDude
June 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
trust me, i do computer repairs to make money and i hear this all the time, people dont even use firefox cause they think its a differnt version of the internet. maybe if the program name wasnt internet explorer it might solve some problems, but also some education may solve the problem as well, im not saying they have to have technical expertise in it but come on, ie is not the internet

Well most computer users don't even WANT to get under the hood. All they care about is "click on this, check email. click on this, surf web." Even the little work that Ubuntu requires (the very, very little work it requires) is too much for a lot of people not for lack of intellect, but lack of desire.

Ever met someone with a four year old computer that's still in factory-default state? They haven't installed a damn thing? It's weird, but I've seen it a lot, where the only things installed were viruses from websites.

bufsabre666
June 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Ever met someone with a four year old computer that's still in factory-default state? They haven't installed a damn thing? It's weird, but I've seen it a lot, where the only things installed were viruses from websites.

exactly why i moved my dads pc from windows to linux and needless to say it works fine for him. but yes ive noticed that maybe not alot, but alot more than it should be ((maybe 5/6 times)) ive even seen them without any windows updates which confounds me when i get calls about the computer being slow, but nothing, i try to give a brief synapsis of what they can do, but i always end up being the one to do it, maybe i should stop complaining fixing their computers is my only source of income right now

macogw
June 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Find a Windows XP computer where IE is still set as the default browser. Look in the Start Menu. There's the IE logo and just the word "Internet" *not* the phrase "Internet Explorer". That is why IE = the internet.

FuturePilot
June 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
The first thing I do on fresh installs of Windows is download Firefox and make it default. :D

bruce89
June 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Maybe because Firefox's icon is trademarked.

The GNOME Web icon is quite nice. -- 73739

lisati
June 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
IE is the most ubiquitous browser. The vast majority of surfers use it. It's preinstalled on new computers so non-technical users who never install new stuff just equate the two. It'd be dumb to try and cater to the vast minority.

If Apple had an 80% market share or whatever, we'd get little Safari icons. If everyone used Firefox it'd be that logo.

One thing that bugs me is that some of the Windows software I've used opens up IE, even though Firefox was set as the default browser on the machine. In a way, it smacks of the kind of "safe" (lazy?) programming techniques I've occasionally used, something along the lines of "open up a browser, just run IEXPLORE", instead of researching the user's preferences (e.g. through the Windows registry)

lisati
June 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Find a Windows XP computer where IE is still set as the default browser. Look in the Start Menu. There's the IE logo and just the word "Internet" *not* the phrase "Internet Explorer". That is why IE = the internet.

I wonder how many people realize that it can be changed in less than a minute if you have something else on your system....... the Windows machine I use has Firefox.

sidran
June 12th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Because the vast majority of computer users just use IE and don't care to really change things. They want something to work right away, and since that's what Windows has pre-installed, and it works, they could care less. Most people (and I mean most people) are not technically savvy (though that is changing recently, it seems to be mainly generational) so they do not have the drive or need to even try to download another browser.

Now, that said, I wouldn't say that IE = the Internet for many of these people. For some, it's Netscape Naviagator. It's just that, since Windows 95 came pre-packaged with IE, that's what people got most used to. However, I do see Firefox showing up more and more. When it comes to web browser popularity, from my experience, IE is #1, but Firefox easily is pulling a very strong #2.

Linux_Man
June 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
The first thing I do on fresh installs of Windows is download Firefox and make it default. :D

Hmmmmm... First thing I usually do is format the HD and install Ubuntu on it :guitar:

aysiu
June 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Because most computer users memorize steps instead of understanding ideas.

My mom writes down, for example, to click on the blue and orange icon (Firefox) to check her email (her webmail account is the homepage).

I've seen numerous colleagues also write down steps (click this, click that, type this) instead of trying to understand what's going on (for example, a mail merge linking an Excel file with a Word template; or an application allowing you to download an interact with webpages).

They just think "Click this icon, and I can check my email."

days_of_ruin
June 12th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Nowadays every time I see a web site on tv its in safari running on a mac.
Why?!?

macogw
June 12th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Why?!?

Don't you know, in TV and movies, all computers are Macs.

Except Iron Man. His computer was definitely running GNOME.

RiceMonster
June 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I hate it when people refuse to even try Firefox. I never ask people to switch to Linux, because for the average person, a new operating system, no matter how easy, is a HUGE plunge.

For example, a friend of mine absolutely refuses to try Firefox. I say "hey, you should download Firefox, I think it's a much better browser". Then he says "yeah, well I'm not a techie". To which I responded, "You don't need to be a techie at all, it's really easy to use." Then he said "Yeah well internet explorer surfers the web, I don't care about anything else". If he tried it and didn't like it, I wouldn't really care, but he flat out will not try it (that said, I don't really bug him about it all that much). It's really not that hard. My Mom even uses Firefox. She kept complaining about it crashing, so I installed Firefox on her computer. It imported all her bookmarks, and now she's fine.

Frak
June 12th, 2008, 05:08 AM

I now feel the need to watch Iron Man.

SunnyRabbiera
June 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM

well mac's I understand in the media, they are stylish looking and eye catching...
Though so far I only saw one real plausible use of a mac in a movie and that is in the devil wears prada, as they do tend to use Mac's in the fashion world.

rune0077
June 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Why?!?

Product placement.

well mac's I understand in the media, they are stylish looking and eye catching...
Though so far I only saw one real plausible use of a mac in a movie and that is in the devil wears prada, as they do tend to use Mac's in the fashion world.

And because, if there really is a devil, not only would he wear Prada, he will also almost certainly use a Mac ;)

markp1989
June 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM

yer my dad calls ie "the Internet" and he calls outlook "the email"

Chame_Wizard
June 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
basically ,Windows users are stupid:lolflag:

vishzilla
June 12th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Why?!?

Apple is the new Microsoft, thats why

aaaantoine
June 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe because Firefox's icon is trademarked.

The GNOME Web icon is quite nice. -- 73739

Look at the size of those tidal waves! That mouse has essentially destroyed all Western civilization!

I'm pretty sure Internet Explorer's icon is also trademarked.

karellen
June 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM

indeed, very thoughtful...

bufsabre666
June 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM

most users of every operating system are stupid, just by process of elimination considering most people are stupid

BlueSkyNIS
June 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
One thing that bugs me is that some of the Windows software I've used opens up IE, even though Firefox was set as the default browser on the machine. In a way, it smacks of the kind of "safe" (lazy?) programming techniques I've occasionally used, something along the lines of "open up a browser, just run IEXPLORE", instead of researching the user's preferences (e.g. through the Windows registry)

Yea, yahoo messenger does that. It always opens links in IE although Firefox is the default. :confused:

Bruce M.
June 13th, 2008, 01:24 AM

PRICELESS! - and the following is off a little topic.
And reminded me of a lady that called the computer store I worked at wanting to speak to the sales man that had "just" delivered her new computer to her house. The poor guy on the phone was "biting his tongue" for some reason and looked like he was in pain. When Ken walked in he said, "Here your customer is on the phone" and ran to the back of the store where we could hear him laughing.

She gave Ken hell for selling her the wrong keyboard, the screen was telling her to hit any key and her keyboard didn't have an [Any] key. Up to that point I thought the [Any] key was just a joke, but apparently not, folks out there really want them when they are new to computers.

Funny, I used Netscape Navigator from the first time I found it until it died. RIP old friend.

bruce89
June 13th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure Internet Explorer's icon is also trademarked.

Perhaps they don't get so excited about "misuse".

Also Antitrust (hardly suprising) and Big Momma's House II (don't ask how I know). In fact Miguel di Icaza was in Antitrust.

doorknob60
June 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I've seen the Safari icon used (it showed a picture of an OS X dock), but next to it was an icon for (unsupported and outdated) IE for Mac! And the cursor was on it...:( EDIt: here's the picture, I totally forgot that it had the Firefox icon too, I'm satisfied now, they know how to attract to all different users :)
http://www.bendcable.com/InstaNetFeature225.jpg
It's not really on an article, but my cable company uses it to advertise their High Speed Internet.

izanbardprince
June 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Explorer < Konqueror < Safari < Firefox < Opera

FuturePilot
June 13th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Explorer < Konqueror < Safari < Firefox < Opera

Explorer < Anything

Frak
June 13th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Explorer < Anything
Explorer < Mercury

Believe it or not, I can view my RSS feeds on it when it pops up in the sky every so often.

xMoDx
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM

LOL.....

anyways i think it should be Penguin Tux :P

myusername
June 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
actually i just read a benchmark that said safari was the fastest browser out there...followed by ff3 then by opera

kernelhaxor
June 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
coz its the most widely used browser? A lotta ppl still think IE is the only browser ..
I really hope Firefox beats IE in market share (may be in the next 10 years?)

Frak
June 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
actually i just read a benchmark that said safari was the fastest browser out there...followed by ff3 then by opera
HTML Performance
Safari > Firefox > Internet Explorer 7 > Opera

Javascript
Safari > Opera > Firefox > Internet Explorer 7

Acid scores... out of those 4, only Safari and IE 7 have passed.

pmlxuser
June 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
almost 90% of people who use computers for the first time or learns to use a computer for the first time are tought to use IE when they want to go into the net so it shouldnot bug you. once linux or other OS takes over (in decades to come) IE will no longer be the synonym for internet..

ph1
June 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I agree, many people who are confused by what the idea of the internet is--or how it works, I suppose--just memorize "OK, click on the blue e, then I get a homepage." But I forgive them, because mainly it's only parents and grandparents I know who do that. What makes me cry on the inside is when I mention Linux and people--even young people--ask me what it is.

Barrucadu
June 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Acid scores... out of those 4, only Safari and IE 7 have passed.

IE 7 does not pass the acid test. And Opera does.

Opera 9 passes the Acid 2 test, making it the second browser to do so, and the first browser for Windows or Linux/UNIX to pass.

[...]

Internet Explorer 8 passes the Acid 2 test, making it the eighth browser to do so, after Safari, Opera, iCab, Konqueror, Firefox, Obigo, and Tkhtml

ellis rowell
June 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, and many so-called computer experts are really only Windows experts. Stray outside that and they are lost. Most of them don't know what a CLI is, much less how to use it.

LaRoza
June 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This thread is getting reported.

I read it over and found it to be rather pointless and off topic (and a flamewar)

I am going to close it, but if anyone disputes that action and think this thread should be reopened, post in the Resolution Centre.

(Opera is the best brower, by the way)