PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple windows

anton
June 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I recently tried out PCLinuxOS and one of the desktop effects I really liked was the ability to show all the running applications simultaneously in separate windows on teh screen. You simply have to move the mouse cursor to the top right corner of the currently active window for this to happen. Clicking on any of the small windows then maximizes that window.

Can this effect be achieved in Ubuntu -- either in Gnome or KDE?

andrewski
June 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, via Compiz. You can install 'compizconfig-settings-manager' (not installed by default) and then go to System > Preferences > Advanced Compiz Effects (that name might not be exact).

I believe it's in the General Options, on one of the tabs for keyboard shortcuts and hot corners. (Sorry, I'm not on my Ubuntu machine at the moment.)

Hope this helps!

anton
June 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Okay, I've tried to set this up but can't get it to work quite the way I want it to with the mouse. No problem setting up a keyboard shortcut: I enabled "Scale" under "Window Management" and under Bindings I mapped "Initiate Window Picker For All Windows" to <Control><Alt><Up>. Works fine. But mapping "Initiate Window Picker For All Windows" to <TopRightEdge>Button1 doesn't work -- the window just gets greyed out as long as I hold in the mouse button.

Any ideas?

andrewski
June 25th, 2008, 02:48 AM
But mapping "Initiate Window Picker For All Windows" to <TopRightEdge>Button1 doesn't work -- the window just gets greyed out as long as I hold in the mouse button.

Any ideas?
No, I'm not sure what's going on. The UI's changed since the last time I used it, and it doesn't seem you can set a corner without a button (which is what I'd previously done).

My laptop doesn't work with Compiz, so I'm unable to test further. Sorry! :(