PDA

View Full Version : What is your Imagination if Every in the computer world is open source

Ioky
June 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
As the Title say, what do you think the computer world will be like, if everything thing is open sources.

My imagination is everything will goes at least 10 time as fast, and wine can be done in 14 month instead 14 years. Company and people will need to pay for programmer to develop stuff for them if what they need doesn't exist yet or not good enough.

So what is yours?

Xzallion
June 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
It is really hard to understand your english, and unfortunately the title doesn't make a lot of sense. It should read something like "What do you imagine the computer world would be like if all software was open-source?"

I doubt that things would be faster, because we are currently pushing hardware about as far as it will let us. Development on some things would be faster, on others it wouldn't be.

Wine wouldn't exist, because if Windows was open source then we wouldn't need a compatibility layer.

Companies and individuals already have to pay programmers to develop software for their needs, otherwise there wouldn't be any programming jobs at all.

Really the only benefit would be support for various devices like scanners, cameras, printers and the like.

elvinatom
June 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Easy there, Xzallion, not everyone here speaks english nativly ...
I don't think that computers would be faster and wine would clearly not exist - I agree on that. The computer would would look a lot different though. Since propriatary software is doomed to be maintained by its developers rather than it's users/developers around the would. I think if everything was oss the only things limitating software would be computer power and imagination.

EdThaSlayer
June 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I would be swimming in a computer game world. Just the amount of software and games available would be enough to drown my brain indefinitely. I mean, with only 1% of the market share we already have thousands of programs available, now multiply that by a 100. :)

Xzallion
June 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Easy there, Xzallion, not everyone here speaks english nativly ...

I wasn't trying to be mean, my intent was to be helpful. Unfortunately text doesn't carry tone or intent anywhere near as well as speech. :(

Ioky
June 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Sorry for my English....... haha. And Thanks for the Help.

BTW get back the subject. As you mention that if Windows is OSS. Linux wouldn't need to wine to run Windows' app. But how come Windows and Mac OS X doesn't have a lay that run linux software? I mean beside the money problem.