PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Hang-up

bluestriker
June 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi, I've had interest in Linux for awhile now, so I figured I'd try out Ubuntu on my laptop. However, I am having some problems with the installation.

In the Live CD installation, it hangs up on the "Installing system" screen at 15%, while it is "Detecting file systems". I saw that you should try the Alternate CD if the Live CD does not work, but this is not working for me also, as it is hanging up at 6% on the "Select and install software" screen. It was also hanging up at 6% on a different screen on a previous attempt as well, but unfortunately I cannot remember exactly which one. I know it's not just going slow either, I let each go for at least an hour and it was in the same spot.

If anyone could help me out with this problem so I can experience Ubuntu, that would be great. Thanks a lot for reading.

PmDematagoda
June 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
What are the specifications of your laptop?

wpshooter
June 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
What are the specifications of your laptop?

Yes, what are specs. ? It can take a long time to get past that 6% marked especially is you have a relatively slow machine. But then again, that may not be the problem at all. Tells you about your system.

Thanks.

bluestriker
June 12th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I apologize for the late response. After a few more tries, it still hung up, but eventually continued and the installation was completed. I do not know why the other attempts did not continue. My laptop is around four or five years old, but XP was very fast so I do not think speed was the issue. I would definitely recommend the Alternate CD to any people who are interested in installing Ubuntu, as the installation gets going much faster.

I'm glad to be a part of Ubuntu. :) Thanks for reading.