PDA

View Full Version : Software Licensing with Sony - what a headaches

Sealbhach
June 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'm so glad I switched to Linux. Here's a snippet of my recent correspondence with Sony. Remember, I'm the customer, and I just want to use a product that I've already paid for.

Detailed problem description: I have lost the hidden recovery partition on my hard drive - restore factory settings no loger works. So I installed Vista from a disk, fine. What I want is the Intervideo Win-DVD DB software to play Blu-Ray disks. I can only get update versions from your website which won't install because there is no existing version installed.

I'd like to be sent an .exe file so I can install Intervideo Win DVD. Failing that, please supply the license details so I can buy an upgrade from Corel.

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately due to licensing agreements with Intervideo/Roxio, the only way to reinstall this application is through a full recovery to factory state.

If the recovery partition has been deleted, it is possible to purchase recovery disks from us for approximately GBP33 pounds. Should you need to do so, please update the case with a best contact time and number, and a technical support agent will be in touch regarding this. Alternatively, you can contact us on 0870 240 2408 to organise this. Please have your case number and the serial number of your VAIO to hand when you call.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to update the case.

Well, that's the rules I suppose. It's another reason why Ive switched to Linux - the main reason being security.

I'm only keeping Vista for the Blu-Ray. Thanks for your prompt response but I won't be putting all that stuff on my laptop again.

I might consider buying an upgrade from Corel but I need the software validation code - if there is such a thing? Surely you can supply that? After all, I've already bought a license.

Thank you for your reply.

Intervideo WINDVD BD for VAIO is designed to work on VAIO only. You need this exact program installed in order for us to support it. You cant get this program anyhtere else, only supplied with the orginal OS.

If you have any further queries, then do not hesitate to contact us again and we will assist you further.

Regards,

sanderella
June 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Sony is like this with EVERYTHING. I'll never buy anything made by Sony again.:mad:

madjr
June 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
only thing good a find about sony is PS's/psp

cdekter
June 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
only thing good a find about sony is PS's/psp

I find the Bravia LCD TVs superb as well... Other than that, I avoid Sony.

Sealbhach
June 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Sony is like this with EVERYTHING. I'll never buy anything made by Sony again.:mad:

That's what I've just told them.

Tomosaur
June 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah Sony are nightmares to deal with. It's no wonder that people just skip right through EULAs - far too much to read and comprehend. It's a million times easier (well, mybe not if you get the runaround like you just did!) to just click 'accept' and then deal with the license as and when you need to. It's just ridiculous.

When you buy a PC, you should get the disk image on a CD / DVD so you don't have to deal with problems like this again.

prshah
June 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Looks like sony "screwed" the customer again; the first time? look here (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/05/28/sony_user_screwed_for_61_euros.html) for an example!

I'd say this company is headed for a mass boycott soon.

OmniCloud
June 11th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Looks like sony "screwed" the customer again; the first time? look here (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/05/28/sony_user_screwed_for_61_euros.html) for an example!

I'd say this company is headed for a mass boycott soon.Nah, probably not gonna happen. Sony maybe a bunch of schmucks when it comes to things like these, but there game division is superb.

Many people aren't loyal to Sony--but are to Playstation. It's gaming division has kept Sony afloat when they were in the hole. And now there TV/electronic division is making a comeback and spearheading the HD market.

Me personally, I stay away from Sony made products outside of TV/Playstations and although I love there World Wide Studios, I don't care for any big business anymore.

Even Nintendo has done shady things. And this generation with there new gaming console they made a product to attract all the older/non-gaming consumers and just screwed the rest of us with a REAL game like twice a year! lol...

rant aside. Sony sucks...PS/Bravia don't...Gaming division like the movie/studio division is run by a few different people so I don't put them in the same limelight.

FyreBrand
June 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
When you buy a PC, you should get the disk image on a CD / DVD so you don't have to deal with problems like this again.Definitely. Always get an install disc if it's available or know where you can get the right drivers. This is true with many computer manufacturers and not just Sony (Dell and Gateway are also like this).

only thing good a find about sony is PS's/pspI have a 4GB Walkman. I love it. It has great battery life and excellent sound. The UI could use a little improving but overall I would definitely buy another Walkman again.