PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3.0 final What the?

EMCGFX
June 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I've updated to Firefox 3.0 final today. The first thing I did is tried to visit YouTube to see if the flash with sound worked fine. You know what it did? Locked my pc down. The only thing I could due is hard reboot. The Firefox 3.0 final is the worst release ever. I never had this kind of problems with 2.x

zizzdude
June 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM
huh, nothing like that happened to me. I just have no sound on flash now though. :-?

abn91c
June 11th, 2008, 04:22 AM
That is because Firefox 3.0 is not final, it is still at RC2
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-rc.html

mikewhatever
June 11th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I've updated to Firefox 3.0 final today. The first thing I did is tried to visit YouTube to see if the flash with sound worked fine. You know what it did? Locked my pc down. The only thing I could due is hard reboot. The Firefox 3.0 final is the worst release ever. I never had this kind of problems with 2.x

Congratulations! May I also suggest using Ubuntu 12.10.

AtliThor
June 11th, 2008, 08:30 PM
One would have to assume that the version Ubuntu shipped today as the final 3.0 version is in fact the RC2 version.
As I understand it, Mozilla has yet to publish a third release candidate before they even consider publishing a final version.

I find it extremely odd, not to mention kind of disturbing, that a pre-release version meant for developers and testers is being distributed as a final release, without a single reference to it's actual version.

merlyn
June 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM
To the best of my knowledge Firefox 3.0pre is at rc4 currently.

I appreciate that the offering in the repos is still at rc2, (or at least at time of posting), however I've been running the swiftfox builds.

Having said that, the only flash / sound related problems I've encountered were immediatley after upgrading to Hardy.

To correct this I backed up my bookmarks / passwords, deleted my `/.mozilla directory and started from scratch.

I'm not sure if this was entirely necessary, but prior to the Hardy upgrade I was running Firefox 2.x in parallel with Swiftfox 3.x pre builds.

The only reason that I did so was that a number of addons I use were not available for 3.x

Everything is hunky dory now.

Cheers
Edit: Confirmed the latest build is pre 4, heres the link should any one be interested. http://www.getswiftfox.com/

mikewhatever
June 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
One would have to assume that the version Ubuntu shipped today as the final 3.0 version is in fact the RC2 version.
As I understand it, Mozilla has yet to publish a third release candidate before they even consider publishing a final version.

I find it extremely odd, not to mention kind of disturbing, that a pre-release version meant for developers and testers is being distributed as a final release, without a single reference to it's actual version.

According to the link below, RC3 was released because of the bug in MAC's OS. That pretty much implies that it's ready to go for other OSs.
RC3 has been working great as a stand alone installation on Gutsy. No crashing or excessive disk usage, nor any other problems.

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=89&articleId=9096739&intsrc=hm_topic