PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Forums?!?!

ajmorris
June 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone had seen this site:
http://theubuntuforums.org/

Wonder if they have permission to use trademarked canonical logos...

EDIT: ACK!! pressed the wrong forum, can a mod please move this to the forum cafe, instead of the forum cafe games :)

Joeb454
June 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm guessing that - no they probably don't. Canonical may be interested in this - as I'm sure most people know, they officially provide these forums nowadays :)

Bruce M.
June 11th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Interesting to say the least.

Makes me wonder: WHY?

I like it here, I'll stay. :)

wannadumpwindows
June 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM
They have a whole 62 members. LoL.

p_quarles
June 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

I remember the site owner posting here once, and if I recall correctly, he never answered this question.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm going to go raise hell! :guitar:

blithen
June 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

I remember the site owner posting here once, and if I recall correctly, he never answered this question.

He probably doesn't have the right then. lol

swoll1980
June 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
It's cool the way they have it set up like a gnome desktop

vishzilla
June 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I like what he has done with the website

fissionmailed
June 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I don't see why every one is like OMG copyright copyright. I bet most people here use codecs etc that are for "research" purposes. They're trying to help people with Ubuntu difficulties, which is a lot more than people here complaining about copyright issues. I'm not saying what they're doing is right or wrong, but I think that people start pointing fingers, they should look at what they're doing first.

lisati
June 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
They have a whole 62 members. LoL.

Now it's up to 63

lisati
June 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I'm going to go raise hell! :guitar:

Spotted your ID as the newest member (#63?)

swoll1980
June 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Spotted your ID as the newest member (#63?)

yeah that's me #63 I haven't started the hell raising yet
Add: the cool gnome like interface has me second guessing myself :) hey we're both on a year

lisati
June 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM
yeah that's me #63 I haven't started the hell raising yet

Have fun, and I hope something good comes out of it!

p_quarles
June 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I don't see why every is like OMG copywrite copywrite. I better most people here use restricted drivers that are for "research" purposes. They're trying to help people with Ubuntu difficulties, which is a lot more than people here complaining about copywrite issues. I'm not saying what they're doing is right or wrong, but I think that people start pointing fingers, they should look at what they're doing first.
You're confusing four different things. Restricted drivers have nothing to do with copyrights (the ones that ship with Ubuntu are offered freely, but are closed source). Perhaps you meant restricted codecs: the controversial ones are either encumbered with patents (again, a completely separate issue wrt copyrights) or, in the case of DeCSS, violate some national laws about breaking copy protection (which again, is not the same thing as copyright). Finally, Ubuntu is a trademark owned by Canonical, and aside from the fact that this (again) has nothing to do with copyrights, trademark infringement is not something this community endorses.

fissionmailed
June 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
You're confusing four different things. Restricted drivers have nothing to do with copyrights (the ones that ship with Ubuntu are offered freely, but are closed source). Perhaps you meant restricted codecs: the controversial ones are either encumbered with patents (again, a completely separate issue wrt copyrights) or, in the case of DeCSS, violate some national laws about breaking copy protection (which again, is not the same thing as copyright). Finally, Ubuntu is a trademark owned by Canonical, and aside from the fact that this (again) has nothing to do with copyrights, trademark infringement is not something this community endorses.

See edit. :o

It's not about an eye for an eye, it's about people thinking some how they're better than someone which I really hate. Oooohhhhh I'll get them, they're breaking copyright laws, etc.

FuturePilot
June 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Aaaahhhh! How did gnome-panel get in my browser!!!!

p_quarles
June 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
See edit. :o

It's not about an eye for an eye, it's about people thinking some how they're better than someone which I really hate. Oooohhhhh I'll get them, they're breaking copyright laws, etc.
Again, the things you're pointing to are not copyright issues. Copyright infringement is also not permitted here.

Those codecs and drivers are subject to restrictive licensing terms. That does not make using them a copyright violation. It makes using them controversial within the free software community for a number of reasons, few of which have to do with any laws.

ad_267
June 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
The site isn't pretending to be affiliated with Canonical or Ubuntu. If you read down the bottom:

Ubuntu and all Ubuntu/Canonical trademarked logos as well as the Human Icon theme are © Copyright Canonical Ltd.
theubuntuforums.com is not officially approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu, Canonical or any of it's affiliates. theubuntuforums.com is neither owned or maintained by Ubuntu or Canonical and is solely a fan based non-profit support site.

Although I do wonder why anyone believed another forum was needed when this one is so good.

I also feel that people may have heard about the great support available on the Ubuntu Forums and end up there rather than here and not get very good support.

lswest
June 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Lol, first the browser...THEN THE WORLD :P

jokes aside:

I agree, chances are they don't have the rights to display the icon, but instead of pointing fingers and such, just send the site owner a PM and mention it to him, if he doesn't do anything about it, then we can reconvene ;) or just mention it to canonical.

*EDIT* Ah, well, the post above it kind of beat me to it :P and I also agree some people might end up there by accident.

fissionmailed
June 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Again, the things you're pointing to are not copyright issues. Copyright infringement is also not permitted here.

Those codecs and drivers are subject to restrictive licensing terms. That does not make using them a copyright violation. It makes using them controversial within the free software community for a number of reasons, few of which have to do with any laws.

Well, bend me over and call me Sally. I know I have read they were illegal, but then again you can't believe everything you read.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3689726

Google turned this up pretty quickly.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong but depending on where you look makes a difference on what you hear.

_DD_
June 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
They have a perfectly valid disclaimer...

Ubuntu and all Ubuntu/Canonical trademarked logos as well as the Human Icon theme are © Copyright Canonical Ltd.
theubuntuforums.com is not officially approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu, Canonical or any of it's affiliates. theubuntuforums.com is neither owned or maintained by Ubuntu or Canonical and is solely a fan based non-profit support site.

Anyway, that is quite a cool theme. Bit gimmicky with the menu at the top, but still cool :)

c0lin
June 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Heh I remembered my password.

Anyway, I'm the Admin from the site in question.

First, I have read the Ubuntu Trademark policy (http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy) and as far as I can tell we're not in violation in any way. And if I receive an email from Canonical I'll be willing to fully cooperate with them in anyway.

The site wasn't set up to purposely to confuse new or old users of Ubuntu nor is it there to detract from this site. If a user can't get a resolution at my site and they haven't already tried here then I'm more than happy to send them this way. Even then I don't expect new users to accidentally stumble upon my site anyway, if someone googles "the ubuntu forums" they'll come here.

We're not in competition (as far as I know neither site collects ad revenue, at least I know my site doesn't and never will).
And a couple people have mentioned the disclaimer in previous posts in this thread.

If there were any other concerns let me know (via this thread, PM on here, email, etc).

Also, thanks to everyone who like the theme :), took me awhile to develop. It still has quite a few bugs yet that I'm working out, but I hope to get a license for vBulletin or IPB so I have official support (but that won't be for awhile because it's personally funded by me and I just had a new baby: http://flickr.com/photos/colin86 yes I torture everyone I talk to to these photos lol)

x1a4
June 11th, 2008, 10:39 PM
They do have the right copyright notices at the bottom of the pages:

theubuntuforums.org is not officially approved, sponsored, or affiliated with Ubuntu, Canonical or any of it's affiliates. theubuntuforums.org is neither owned or maintained by Ubuntu or Canonical and is solely a fan based non-profit support site.

Why do you guys gotta bash an Ubuntu fan? Obviously somebody who likes Ubuntu has made an effort and expense to create a nice support site and you have to make it into something bad. Let him/her be.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Well, bend me over and call me Sally

[bends you over] O.K. Sally. Any other request?

cardinals_fan
June 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Well, bend me over and call me Sally. I know I have read they were illegal, but then again you can't believe everything you read.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3689726

Google turned this up pretty quickly.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong but depending on where you look makes a difference on what you hear.
Real distributes them legally in RealPlayer.

@topic: the site owner seems to be perfectly willing to comply with any restrictions Canonical may require.

What the...? I don't even have gnome-panel installed! :)

c0lin
June 12th, 2008, 05:05 AM
@topic: the site owner seems to be perfectly willing to comply with any restrictions Canonical may require.

Indeed no need for an irrational witch hunt.

Victormd
June 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by fissionmailed
Well, bend me over and call me Sally

[bends you over] O.K. Sally. Any other request?

:lolflag:

Victormd
June 12th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Indeed no need for an irrational witch hunt.

Congrats, the site looks really good, good luck!

Metaleks
June 12th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Yeah, bashing this website isn't cool. But to me, it IS kinda pointless. I'd rather the site just link over all new members here. From a design perspective, this website existing is redundant. If you want an example, take the indecision a developer faces when he has a great idea, but finds out his idea already existed. Does he reinvent the wheel, or does he help that project, and make it better? It's the same thing here.

KiwiNZ
June 12th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I am going to close this thread while the issue is considered.

KiwiNZ
June 12th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Members of the Forum Council have discussed this and see no issue from our perspective.

Redrazor39
June 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I think it would be cool if the login from this site and from that site could be linked so we could log in with the same ID for either site. That would be awesome.

We should do that.

loell
June 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I think it would be cool if the login from this site and from that site could be linked so we could log in with the same ID for either site. That would be awesome.

We should do that.

i couldn't see it happening. ;)

if wanna help them, do so and register with the same handle.

doorknob60
June 13th, 2008, 12:14 AM
It's cool the way they have it set up like a gnome desktop

Yeah, I wish these forums were set up like that :D

Joeb454
June 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I wish these forums were set up like that :D

I don't, it'd get annoying to use every day

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Guess who just signed up... :grin:

Joeb454
September 13th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Han Solo?

Saint Angeles
September 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
i think its great...

and making it look like ubuntu is a good idea... seeing as the site is about ubuntu. its very clever.

how would it be annoying to use everyday? do you also think ubuntu is annoying to use everyday?

cardinals_fan
September 13th, 2008, 02:15 AM
do you also think ubuntu is annoying to use everyday?
Yes.

Yes
September 13th, 2008, 02:35 AM
do you also think ubuntu is annoying to use everyday?

Gnome is, at least in my opinion. But then again, to each his own - I'm sure some people would love it. It certainly is clever.

nick09
September 13th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Well they are sure committed to Ubuntu with that great theme!

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Han Solo?
No, not my brother in law.

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 12:54 PM

George Carlin?

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Nope. Guess again. BUMP!

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Nope. Guess again. BUMP!

LaRosa?

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Ummmm.... No! Not at all. Keep on guessing. I have to go read a long credit card contract. I need something funny to come back to.

lisati
September 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Ummmm.... No! Not at all. Keep on guessing. I have to go read a long credit card contract. I need something funny to come back to.
William Gates?

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Chuck Norris?

nick09
September 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Some-idiot-I-don't-know-and-I-don't-care-about-this-guessing-game.:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Is it 700dajkul (http://autobump.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=my_control_panel&opt=view_profile&member_id=6)?

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
You mean the guy whom I like to torment at scragy's forum? No, not yet. But soon.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Some-idiot-I-don't-know-and-I-don't-care-about-this-guessing-game.:lolflag:
lol

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
lol
So you are finally admitting?

Exsecrabilus
September 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I like what he has done with the website
It takes five minutes to load.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admitting what?

oomingmak
September 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Bit gimmicky with the menu at the top
I really like the menu, it ties in well with the overall theme that they've gone for.

To be honest I thought the menu would just be a single link, and I was therefore surprised to see that they were actually proper functioning drop menus.

Nice touch. :cool:

eragon100
September 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I have joined, come on, if we get more people there, we'd have two ubuntu forums! :cool:

picpak
September 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I made a design like that in 2006 for my old Ubuntu fanlisting (http://ubuntu.freehostia.com/). Theirs is better, though. I like using that site in fullscreen...it's like using the real gnome-panel. 8)

Vince4Amy
September 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Bringing up a valid point earlier:

Why do you guys gotta bash an Ubuntu fan? Obviously somebody who likes Ubuntu has made an effort and expense to create a nice support site and you have to make it into something bad. Let him/her be.

I agree with this, and since neither sites are generating profit?? Does it actually matter? I'm sure there are loads of sites which use the Ubuntu artwork without permission.

god0fgod
September 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM
The centered text is horrible.

Dr Small
September 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have joined, come on, if we get more people there, we'd have two ubuntu forums! :cool:
No, please. I recall it being created by the some of the users at the MyBB Group, and that is something I left :|

ddarsow
September 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
There is not so much a copyright issue with that site as there is a likely trademark infringement. While they are both intellectual property (and often confused by the general public), they protect vastly different rights.

The use of the colors and the logo could lead someone to beleive that it is an officially sponsored forum. The simple fact that there is a disclaimer at the bottom is probably not sufficient to overcome the infringement under U.S. and international law.

interesting...

Frak
September 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If Canonical wasn't so name-happy, we'd actually have some competition between forums.

I like competition, so did Adam Smith (do your research sie Kinder.)