PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will upgrading to studio erase what I've got

mattyb515
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM
I'm running Hardy Heron right now and just discovered Studio. If I perform the upgrade, will I lose what I've currently got installed? Specifically my email. It doesn't explicitly say either way whether it wipes out what I've got and I've been burned in the past so I just want to triple check.

bluepowder7
June 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM
i just installed the ubuntu-studio software packages (so, audio / video / graphics packages only, NOT an upgrade to a whole new OS flavour), and it kept everything else that i had. same wallpaper, same everything. oh, the ONLY two things that were odd were:

1 - added a new boot entry in GRUB, which i haven't used, i now manually have to arrow-key-down to the ...generic one, and maybe one day i'll edit the GRUB list to remove the "new" one that i haven't used

2 - my compiz-fusion had to get re-enabled (and i had to re-enable the nVidia restricted drivers). i'm not sure but i MIGHT have needed to restore my settings as well (i did it anyways, before i realized that the nVid thing was the issue). best to export / save your c-f settings first.